Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 10:28:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The Swerengin Metro that my former employer used had a rocket in the tailcone.  I was told it was there to be used in case of a main engine failure on take-off as the original engines were a little short on power.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Swerengin Metro that my former employer used had a rocket in the tailcone.  I was told it was there to be used in case of a main engine failure on take-off as the original engines were a little short on power.
View Quote

Yup.  It was supposed to provide enough thrust to keep the airplane flying during the gear retraction sequence.  One of the old captains I used to fly with talked about it a lot.  Said it worked much better than intended.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I was told that it was installed so that if an engine quit on takeoff there would be a smoke trail to follow to the crash site.

Beech 18 E,G & H models had optional JATO mounted above wing in rear of nacelle. Gittur dun
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Heh, I still remember seeing the "Standby Rocket System" in the MEL of our Metros even though they had long been removed.

RATO and emergency parachutes were all the rage back in the day - a buddy of mine had to pull the 'chute in a Lear 25 after a total brake or hydraulic failure.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Heh, I still remember seeing the "Standby Rocket System" in the MEL of our Metros even though they had long been removed.

RATO and emergency parachutes were all the rage back in the day - a buddy of mine had to pull the 'chute in a Lear 25 after a total brake or hydraulic failure.
View Quote

Yup.  And if I recall, on the early '25s it had to be tested and repacked every so often.

There's a lot to be said for pressurized nitrogen!  
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember seeing od Bonanza's with flare tubes behind the wings.
Supposedly for night time engine falure. Shoot the flare to light up landing area.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Supposedly for night time engine falure. Shoot the flare to light up landing area.
View Quote

And ensure that the responders to the forest fire found your burned-up aircraft the next day.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup.  It was supposed to provide enough thrust to keep the airplane flying during the gear retraction sequence.  One of the old captains I used to fly with talked about it a lot.  Said it worked much better than intended.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like that old cpt just liked to talk about being a rocketeer.    I have repeatedly heard just the opposite.   The performance is decidedly uninspired.

I would love to get a stack of the rockets for the 4th.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like that old cpt just liked to talk about being a rocketeer.    I have repeatedly heard just the opposite.   The performance is decidedly uninspired.

I would love to get a stack of the rockets for the 4th.
View Quote

It could be.  I never got the chance to try one out myself, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge.  

I was lucky enough never to have to fly anything that needed rockets strapped to it in order to guarantee single-engine performance.  

ETA- I do remember him talking about when they started taking them all off, he said everybody that hadn't used them started looking for an excuse to fire them while they had the chance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was for air-ground communication in the days many outlying airfields didn't have good radios...

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It was for air-ground communication in the days many outlying airfields didn't have good radios...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking about old Bonanza's. The original V-Tail.

"In the early 1950s, the AOPA Foundation's efforts were primarily focused on making grants. The first grant went to the Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Inc., of Buffalo, in October 1953. This was for the design of an airborne emergency ground lighting system. The idea was to develop an airborne light for use in night emergency landings — one that would replace the flares used in general aviation airplanes of the day."
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'd be expensive communication!

No, they were an emergency measure intended to light up a landing area in the event of a night-time engine failure.  From a day when engines were a lot less reliable, and people were a lot more adventurous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top