Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 7:10:53 AM EDT
i had a Garmin GTN 650 installed at the end of last winter in my 172. I immediately fell in love with it. Sequences and flies approches excellent, radios are great where you can monitor your secondary frequency, etc...

The only problem I had was that when moving on the ground and just after take off, there was a lot of static breaking in on the primary com radio. This gradually got worse so that on some frequencies while at altitude (6-9000 ft agl) it was getting very difficult to use it due to the constant breaks. In case you're wondering, there is no squelch level adjustment. The volume button will disable squelch if you push it in to allow you to hear a distant station that might be weak but won't allow for any adjustment.

I had tried to fly it down to my installer but after not being able to line up our schedules I started googling. Lots of discussion on the same topic out there. Lots of talk about new downloads that address it but nobody was saying it got fixed. I finally stumbled on a forum that had a thread going on how to adjust the squelch level and it's only published in the installer guide. When powering up the unit, press and hold the "Home" button and it will take you to the setup screen. There you can select Com audio and get to the squelch adjustment. The thread I had been reading stated that 70% was the level that took care of the noise and still doesn't squelch traffic. My unit was set at the factory preset of 0%. I tried lower settings but could not get rid of the break ins and went with 70% on mine.

Yesterday, flew to Knoxville and it worked perfect. No break ins and ATC came in loud and clear for the trip. Now I'm back to loving it again.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to know, we just put a GTN650 in one of our aircraft at my school. I'll keep this in mind in case we run into the same issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

i had a Garmin GTN 650 installed at the end of last winter in my 172. I immediately fell in love with it. Sequences and flies approches excellent, radios are great where you can monitor your secondary frequency, etc...
View Quote

The only problem I had was that when moving on the ground and just after take off, there was a lot of static breaking in on the primary com radio. This gradually got worse so that on some frequencies while at altitude (6-9000 ft agl) it was getting very difficult to use it due to the constant breaks. In case you're wondering, there is no squelch level adjustment. The volume button will disable squelch if you push it in to allow you to hear a distant station that might be weak but won't allow for any adjustment.

I had tried to fly it down to my installer but after not being able to line up our schedules I started googling. Lots of discussion on the same topic out there. Lots of talk about new downloads that address it but nobody was saying it got fixed. I finally stumbled on a forum that had a thread going on how to adjust the squelch level and it's only published in the installer guide. When powering up the unit, press and hold the "Home" button and it will take you to the setup screen. There you can select Com audio and get to the squelch adjustment. The thread I had been reading stated that 70% was the level that took care of the noise and still doesn't squelch traffic. My unit was set at the factory preset of 0%. I tried lower settings but could not get rid of the break ins and went with 70% on mine.

Yesterday, flew to Knoxville and it worked perfect. No break ins and ATC came in loud and clear for the trip. Now I'm back to loving it again.

I find the majority of GTNs we install run fine on "0".

If I do post install power runs, and I notice the unit breaking squelch, or we notice it in the test flight, we crank it up.

I've never set not too 70 though. Any other noise issues in the plane? ICS sound good?

What COM software are you running? There are a few squelch related issues in the latest version(s)

Also crank you sidetone down to 45-55, Garmin ships the GTNs with it at a full 66.5, which is way to loud in most installations.

ps.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll check the side tone but no other noises. I read about the downloads but also noticed that of the people with squelch concerns, the download did not address it. I do plan on getting those installed when the avionics shop has time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'll check the side tone but no other noises. I read about the downloads but also noticed that of the people with squelch concerns, the download did not address it. I do plan on getting those installed when the avionics shop has time.
View Quote

Come on down to FL, I'll make time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top