Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 9:26:01 AM EDT
Looking to throw my Telex 30XT's in the trash, but before I do, need something  different.

Anybody have these headsets?  Thoughts on them?   I don't need all the fancy stuff the Zulu headset has......just want good noise cancelling.

$600 seems to be set price for the Sierras.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I am still in training so no long time experience to go off of, but I've had my Sierras for a couple months now with a little over 20 hours of use and am really happy with them. Light, great noise reduction, very easy to hear even the stuff I couldnt pick up before on the radio when it is less clear (distance or poor transmission from another aircraft).
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I currently have the Zulu.2, and before that I believe I had the 20XL.  Before I bought the Zulus it was a toss up between them and Bose.  I thought the Lightspeeds felt better and went with them.  They're great and worth the price.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the replies.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the Sierra and its a great headset...You can find em a bit cheaper if you look in Trade-a-Plane and call the "call for price" people. We used to be a Lightspeed dealer and youre not allowed to "advertise" any lower. The zulu.2 is a great headset, but if youre looking to save money the sierra is an excellent headset
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
We use them here in the "Sandbox" in our RC12's. Flying about 120 hours a month, they are vastly more comfortable than any David Clark I have ever worn, used or owned.

One bit of advice to anyone using active noise canceling headsets. They fool you into thinking its quieter, yet you are still being exposed to dangerously high noise levels. I still wear soft plugs underneath them, my hearing took a serious turn for the worse after putting ANR's in my Stearman several years ago and it's my understanding that the Navy no longer uses ANR technology due to excellerated hearing loss.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Light speed has a nice trade in program.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use them here in the "Sandbox" in our RC12's. Flying about 120 hours a month, they are vastly more comfortable than any David Clark I have ever worn, used or owned.

One bit of advice to anyone using active noise canceling headsets. They fool you into thinking its quieter, yet you are still being exposed to dangerously high noise levels. I still wear soft plugs underneath them, my hearing took a serious turn for the worse after putting ANR's in my Stearman several years ago and it's my understanding that the Navy no longer uses ANR technology due to excellerated hearing loss.
View Quote

Are you AD flying the RC-12? I didn't realize there were any contractors flying any RC's.........yet! Except of course some ferry flights and testing here and there.

The lightspeed Zulus were a nightmare in every RC-12 Model I had them in. The noise cancelling didn't play well with the mission equipment and multitude of modifications. They were awesome with customer service trading them out and trouble shooting them. In the end, I found about 1 out 3 worked well.

They are light, comfy and provided a great BT/AUX connection. No issues in any other aircraft I've had them in.

I don't wear any additional hearing protection and noticed zero shift in hearing testing done yearly (or more depending on medpro's being poorly managed).
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got my Sierras via the trade up program.  $400 delivered and sent them my old David Clarks.

Kinda looking forward to going back to work flying the brown boxes in the Caravan next week.    Almost 10,000 hours with most of it in the van.

Thanks for all the good info......will post later and let u know how i like them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top