Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 12:30:59 AM EDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfBO-YL-IzY

Action starts at around 0:10. Embed please.

Any rotary wing pilots want to comment on this one?  The aircraft was nosediving at a high speed... almost looks intentional.

I guess we will know more if there was an FDR and CVR on-board.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:39:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yikes.

Looks like a AS365
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]

God damn that thing was a dart.

RIP crewmembers and pax.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:51:39 AM EDT
[#3]
That looked like the angle cheesy movies CGI make helicopters crash, not real life.  

Horrible
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
That was not what I was expecting.. I am watching, hmmm where is the helo.. shoooop booom

Damn.. that sucks, it seems it could have been a whole lot worse though..

Surrounded by buildings, a school, bus just went by...

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Not the first time; Here's a 2001 video of a ROK Army Chinook crashing after colliding with an ornament it was installing atop a bridge in Seoul.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Wow, that chopper was at full speed when it hit the ground.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow. Was the main rotor system missing?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Armchair quarterback questions:  If it was, could the helo maintain right side up orientation?  With the turbines and transmission on the top, I would think it would have a tendency to belly up in the event the main rotors departed the aircraft.  If the main rotors went missing, would the tail rotor still be powered?  If it was, wouldn't it cause severe yaw or a flat-spin in one direction?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Armchair quarterback questions:  If it was, could the helo maintain right side up orientation?  With the turbines and transmission on the top, I would think it would have a tendency to belly up in the event the main rotors departed the aircraft.  If the main rotors went missing, would the tail rotor still be powered?  If it was, wouldn't it cause severe yaw or a flat-spin in one direction?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on what was happening at the instant the main rotor separated and how many seconds until ground impact.  But it'll always be ugly.

I saw ZERO indications of MR separation in that 365 video.  It's just hard to see the rapidly spinning rotor on video.  (Especially from that distance, angle, and time)
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe intentional, i.e., suicide.  Maybe physiological event, e.g., heart attack or stroke.  Maybe catastrophic failure of flight control (damage, e.g., bird strike, or fatigue).

Interested to know if that does have an FDR.

OP, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
The WX looks pretty bad.......I wonder what the ceiling was.  If it was a 200 ft ceilings, and they were trucking along at 150 kts, that's about 100ft a second.  If they got in an unusual attitude, it would only give them 2 second to pull up at the sight of the ground.  Just a thought.  

That aircraft should have had SAS, autopilot, hover hold, and all that fun stuff on it though.  You just have to use, trust it, and know how to fly if/when it's not working.  We just got SAS & autopilot in our helicopter--it's creepy letting it fly for you, but I'm amazed how well it works.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#14]
If a blade comes off a helicopter while running at flight speed the aircraft will be destroyed immediately.  So the rotor was intact.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I understand that concept but if the entire main system (head) goes at once I think the airframe will, and has before, remained intact until impact.

Quoted:
If a blade comes off a helicopter while running at flight speed the aircraft will be destroyed immediately.  So the rotor was intact.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#17]
It cannot leave intact.  It will be unbalanced in the process of coming off if the aircraft is in flight.  A few hundred tons even for a few milliseconds will shred the structure.  

With the level roll and yaw attitude first guess is flight control problem, but it could be anything sine you only see a fraction of a second of flight
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck.

Oh, the weather always sucks here in the ROK.
View Quote

I clicked on this thread hoping it wasn't a CH-47.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure if you are trolling but if not take a peek here...

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/2-2011%20G-REDL.pdf

Quoted:
It cannot leave intact.  It will be unbalanced in the process of coming off if the aircraft is in flight.  A few hundred tons even for a few milliseconds will shred the structure.  

With the level roll and yaw attitude first guess is flight control problem, but it could be anything sine you only see a fraction of a second of flight
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your point?  

He's talking about the result of shedding one main rotor blade which is always followed immediately by shedding the rest of them in a catastrophic manner.

Your linked accident was the result of a catastrophic transmission failure resulting in the separation of the main rotor system that then immediately cut the tailboom off the helicopter (not that that made a difference at that point).

There are ZERO indications of a main rotor event in that Korean Dauphin video.  Zero.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
First, I don't know what happened in Korea. Secondly, my "point" is a rebuttal that a helicopter will likely not be not be "shredded" with the loss of the entire main rotor system. I suppose my mention of the entire head vs. one blade separation was not clear as posted above. I'm not sure how, however.

Quoted:

What's your point?  

He's talking about the result of shedding one main rotor blade which is always followed immediately by shedding the rest of them in a catastrophic manner.

Your linked accident was the result of a catastrophic transmission failure resulting in the separation of the main rotor system that then immediately cut the tailboom off the helicopter (not that that made a difference at that point).

There are ZERO indications of a main rotor event in that Korean Dauphin video.  Zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your point?  

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Everybody's an expert on the internet!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#23]
ok did it look like the tail rotor was missing? its moving so fast to tell for sure. horrible none the less
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ok did it look like the tail rotor was missing? its moving so fast to tell for sure. horrible none the less
View Quote

Tail rotor is built into the vertical portion of the tail, on that model.  Loss of tail rotor effectiveness tends to cause a spin, which didn't seem to be happening in the video.

With that little evidence, it's hard to guess at what happened.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tail rotor is built into the vertical portion of the tail, on that model. Loss of tail rotor effectiveness tends to cause a spin, which didn't seem to be happening in the video.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tail rotor is built into the vertical portion of the tail, on that model. Loss of tail rotor effectiveness tends to cause a spin, which didn't seem to be happening in the video.

In a hover yes, in forward flight not so much. (for a 365 anyway)
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.  With enough forward airspeed, you can maintain controlled flight.  UH-1s tend to spin below about 60Kts.
So, again, we're left with a video of the final impact, but not really enough to say what caused it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Just watched the video again.  Anyone notice the debris trailing the helo after the crash?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top