Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2014 9:39:10 PM EDT
How many B-17s are still flying in the US today, that you can think of? "Memphis Belle" is in town for the week and a news story they put out this afternoon says its one of only three still flying. I know there are more than that just off the top of my head I can think of at least six. I did a web search and found conflicting numbers, but all were more than three.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
last I heard (about 10 years ago ) there were 10 flyable Fortresses. Several were "in the works," being restored to various degrees of airworthiness.

According to  this Wikipedia article, there appear to be about 15 or so still flying, world wide.

Kudos to those who strive to keep that beautiful machine in the air!
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it depends on definition and perspective for this one.

There are only a small few that fly regularly.  Some more that are in "flying" condition.

EAA usually has at least two to three of them, included ing their own, at Oshkosh every year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Off the top of my head
Sentimental journey
Liberty belle scratch that one, that's the one that crash land and burnt up
Nine o nine (I think it's still flown)
Aluminum overcast
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Off the top of my head
Sentimental journey
Liberty belle
Aluminum overcast
View Quote

Liberty Belle was destroyed a few years ago after an emergency landing and fire

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the main list I just found
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-17_Survivors#United_States

Sad with so many pumped out in the war, and how many that made it, this is all that remains.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Off the top of my head
Sentimental journey
Liberty belle
Aluminum overcast

Yeah found that when I looked it up after I posted.  That one came by my area on tour.  I was riding a motorcycle one and saw it directly in line towards me.  I pulled over immediately just to watch it and hear those engines.   I really need to schedule a ride before they are all gone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I was looking at plane names and just found this monument overseas at the site of a B-17 crash.   That is amazing

http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/11286/Memorial-B17-Man-O-War.htm

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas Raider of the CAF I think.

Maintenance video.  

They say 11 are still flying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Liberty Belle was lost in 2011 after having spent the weekend at the Aurora Municipal Airport, west of Chicago.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many B-17s are still flying in the US today, that you can think of? "Memphis Belle" is in town for the week and a news story they put out this afternoon says its one of only three still flying. I know there are more than that just off the top of my head I can think of at least six. I did a web search and found conflicting numbers, but all were more than three.
View Quote

OP, your not in Utah are you!

That planes been flying around da Treasure Valley all weekend. I'm surprised at the number of people shelling out $450 for a ride. My BIL was convinced it was the real Memohis Belle, and was going to plunk down nearly a grand for him n my nephew to ride. Was very sorry to burst his bubble, as it wasn't even in the movie. It was replicated for a documentary. Still a really cool piece of history that you don't get to see in the air often.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Liberty Belle was lost in 2011 after having spent the weekend at the Aurora Municipal Airport, west of Chicago.

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/b-17-flying-fortress-crash.jpg

View Quote

Sad day.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
The liberty bell is being rebuilt!. There should be 2 more airworthy -17's in a few years.  Per my friend who flies one of them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Nine-O-Nine - Collings Foundation.

The original "Nine-O-Nine" was scrapped in Kingman, AZ in 1945.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking at the list on Wiki it appears there are quite a few airframes in the US that are in great shape.  I guess all it takes is time and money
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Always glad to see another B-17 get airborne, but there is NO WAY the LB frame pictured above is being rebuilt.

Engines, cowlings, some of the tail, parts of the wing tips, and other bits and pieces might be salvaged--or not, as the case may be-- but that aircraft frame is gone for good.  Everything salvaged will be required to be minutely inspected, and certified airworthy.

I've crawled through a B-17 and B-24, and they are cramped.  Every time you see a photo or movie of the inside of one of these aircraft, I guarantee that the cameraman is using a wide-angle lens, which makes the very cramped interior of the aircraft look a lot bigger than it is in reality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The liberty bell is being rebuilt!. There should be 2 more airworthy -17's in a few years.  Per my friend who flies one of them.

Always glad to see another B-17 get airborne, but there is NO WAY the LB frame pictured above is being rebuilt.

Engines, cowlings, some of the tail, parts of the wing tips, and other bits and pieces might be salvaged--or not, as the case may be-- but that aircraft frame is gone for good.  Everything salvaged will be required to be minutely inspected, and certified airworthy.

I've crawled through a B-17 and B-24, and they are cramped.  Every time you see a photo or movie of the inside of one of these aircraft, I guarantee that the cameraman is using a wide-angle lens, which makes the very cramped interior of the aircraft look a lot bigger than it is in reality.

They take a data plate and rebuild entire airplanes around that, so maybe that is what he meant.  

There is a place at Colorado Springs Airport that was basically rebuilding random parts off of a P-38 when I visited it last year.  They are building the aircraft by hand and using just random parts that were salvaged and also the cool part was the machinery from the era that was being used to make other parts they could not salvage.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They take a data plate and rebuild entire airplanes around that, so maybe that is what he meant.  

There is a place at Colorado Springs Airport that was basically rebuilding random parts off of a P-38 when I visited it last year.  They are building the aircraft by hand and using just random parts that were salvaged and also the cool part was the machinery from the era that was being used to make other parts they could not salvage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#19]
There is the Yankee Lady over in Willow Run.

I think it I might need to take a ride on it sometime.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I flew in Aluminum Overcast last month. The day before our flight we were touring the plane and there happened to be a WW2 vet in the plane who told US all about how they were set up back then, what his missions were like, friends he lost during his missions, etc.  It was a very memorable experience that I was blessed to have.  Absolutely awesome!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is the Yankee Lady over in Willow Run.

I think it I might need to take a ride on it sometime.
View Quote

I can hear it flying over my house. I always stop what I'm up to and look up. There is no mistaking the sounds of those engines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I forget how lucky I am.

Sentimental Journey is based not a mile from where I sit. I see it all the time.

And we once had THREE B-25's based there. Only 1 now, I think. I haven't been over to the CAF in a while, don't know if they still have the second, but my understanding was that it was a parts bird for the first.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I took these at the CAF hangar in Phoenix.

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for posting the info about Liberty Bell.

One of the few donations Rhineland Arms makes is to the preservation of historic aircraft. We donated to Liberty Bell today, not much as far as aircraft are concerned but at least its something.  They do need a lot of cash to make this happen.

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/shop.html

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the aviation world, an aircraft is a dataplate. Doesn't matter if there's a whole new airframe attached to the dataplate, FAA still sees it as the "original" aircraft.

So yes, the Liberty Belle can be completely rebuilt so long as the dataplate made it out unscathed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Stopped by the airport to see "Memphis Belle" today. The trailer they pull around to sell shirts and stuff had about a 50/50 mix of Memphis Belle and Liberty Belle items. I heard the guy talking about the rebuild but didn't get to hear the full story because my son needed to use the restroom.

Heres a crappy iphone video of a take off. Some wind noise, but the best I could do today. I love the sound of these old birds

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's another memorial to a B17, this one being the Slightly Dangerous. This one hits close to home, as it was my grandfather's plane, who served as the bombardier in the nose. He was one of the survivors who managed to bail out, spending the rest of the war in a German POW camp. My grandmother is still in contact with the French family who initially helped him when he bailed out, breaking his ankle in the process. When the Germans arrived, he gave himself up, because they threatened to start executing villagers unless they turned him over.

http://www.uswarmemorials.org/html/monument_details.php?SiteID=323&MemID=558

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I have ridden the Aluminum Overcast twice,
and Fuddy Duddy once, when AO was down
for overhaul after it's incident in Van Nuys.

I saw the Memphis Bell about 10 years ago.
It was flight worthy but it was in terrible
shape at the time.

Awesome birds.

God Bless our Vets.

John
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I rode in Aluminum Overcast a couple months ago.  There was an old WW2 vet who had completed his missions who showed and talked about his experience.   It was an awesome day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I've done the walkthrough in aluminum overcast which was cool but would love to take a flight in it some day. I have pics of it somewhere so if I find them, I will post up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been up in Texas Raiders 3 times - Never been on her when she landed!  
Back in the 80s we used her for a jump A/C at 2 airshows in Texas because the C 47 we usualy used had a blown engine.  
Almost got to jump the CAFs B 29 but the jump was cancelled at the last minute - that really PO'd me!  Having a B 29 in my log book would have been just frigging wonderfull!!!
Sarge
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is an old pic of Chuckie from the late 70's or early 80's. Does anyone know what became of this plane? I think it is in europe now, but I'm not sure.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I've been up in Texas Raiders 3 times - Never been on her when she landed!  

Back in the 80s we used her for a jump A/C at 2 airshows in Texas because the C 47 we usualy used had a blown engine.  

Almost got to jump the CAFs B 29 but the jump was cancelled at the last minute - that really PO'd me!  Having a B 29 in my log book would have been just frigging wonderfull!!!

Sarge
View Quote

Took a flight in Texas Raiders about a month ago.  Cool airplane.   It is hard to really appreciate what it was like without actually flying around in them.  They are hot, noisy and stinky.  In other words, awesome.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here is an old pic of Chuckie from the late 70's or early 80's. Does anyone know what became of this plane? I think it is in europe now, but I'm not sure.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/q87/s720x720/10645281_840462262660857_3628043803463268407_n.jpg?oh=f5c219ac41809e192243b2e09dd0687b&oe=54C6AD31&__gda__=1425372320_10f53c4f61ccb0f8262bfe4a4784481d
View Quote

"Chuckie" is in very good condition and is now at the Tillamook Air Museum in Oregon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"Chuckie" is in very good condition and is now at the Tillamook Air Museum in Oregon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/q87/s720x720/10645281_840462262660857_3628043803463268407_n.jpg?oh=f5c219ac41809e192243b2e09dd0687b&oe=54C6AD31&__gda__=1425372320_10f53c4f61ccb0f8262bfe4a4784481d

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#36]
There were a number of flying/airworthy B17's in the 80's they were used as fire bombers, then the Air Force decided they wanted them as gate guards, they traded them for worn out C130's which after a few accidents were grounded, the Air Force ended up with great air worthy B17's only to become dilapidated gate guards, you can imagine the rest. There were actually quite a few B17's used after the war from search and rescue, photo mapping, spray planes, to fire bombers. The fire bomber mission is why so many of them are still here, that mission saved A/B26's, B25's, TBM Avengers, PBY's and B17's. Air Spray just retired and sold the last of their invaders a few years ago.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Here are a few vids I took the other day of a B17 at our local airport.  It was the liberty belle/Memphis Belle

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGHO-dmDhS8']

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2PZq9E_dc']

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3tMyHeLsa8']
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Don't forget the Boeing Bee (N17W), the only airworthy B-17F.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top