Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked What's in your bowl? (Page 3 of 61)
Page / 61
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Wall Street
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Ashton Gold Rush

VERY good hot weather blend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Savana
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Aristocrat while at the smoke shop shooting the shit with some folks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
G. L. Pease Charing Cross. I tend towards the Balkan style blends. The Kensington is good too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Just finished a shop blend called wall street now off to bed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 4:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Tinderbox's Black Tie.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Last night and this morning for the ride from and to work, a bowl of Hearth and Home Milk and Honey.  Very simple and relaxing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Some wall street in the Alfa pipe
Link Posted: 7/3/2010 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Some more wall street could have sworn I only got 2 ounces of this stuff.   Seems like a never end jar.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
smoked a bowl of a local blend called Concho cavendish with my FIL last night.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ttushooter:
smoked a bowl of a local blend called Concho cavendish with my FIL last night.  Good stuff.

Love me some cavendish.

Just smoked a bowl of...well...I don't know.  It was in a ziplock bag, was pipe tobacco, smelled like cavendish but was lighter colored.

Burned hot as balls, couldn't even hold the pipe.  Tasted good though :)
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Some dark twist trying to relax.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Slavac:

Love me some cavendish.

Just smoked a bowl of...well...I don't know.  It was in a ziplock bag, was pipe tobacco, smelled like cavendish but was lighter colored.

Careful, you don't want a burn out.  Rule of thumb is that if the pipe gets that hot (try not to in the first place), put it down.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Love me some cavendish.

Careful, you don't want a burn out.  Rule of thumb is that if the pipe gets that hot (try not to in the first place), put it down.

Huh, I didn't know that.  Had to go read up on that.

Thanks for the heads up, I'd rather not break a $100 pipe.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#16]
McClelland's Virginia #25

I prefer flakes, but this is the best rubbed-out VA I've had so far.

Also tried another bowl of Sam Gawith's Black XX Rope, but couldn't finish it.   Got the nicotine hiccups halfway through, and got tired of the burnt plastic smell.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Love me some cavendish.

Huh, I didn't know that.  Had to go read up on that.

Thanks for the heads up, I'd rather not break a $100 pipe.

Yep.  We used to send a LOT of pipes out for repair.  The aromatic/burley/cheap drug store blends tend to be worse since they burn so much hotter.  Think of pipes like cigars in that it is recommended that you take approx 1 puff/minute.  That will insure a cool, MUCH better tasting smoke, and a properly broken in pipe.

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Sutliff's Great Outdoors
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Polish_Infidel:
Sutliff's Great Outdoors

How's that stuff taste?

Smoked a bowl of Savanah on my way to Shreveport to take my EMT national registery exam
finshed the test with twenty minutes left the questions and the enviroment left me feeling
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By runs_with_scissors:
Originally Posted By Polish_Infidel:
Sutliff's Great Outdoors

How's that stuff taste?

Smoked a bowl of Savanah on my way to Shreveport to take my EMT national registery exam
finshed the test with twenty minutes left the questions and the enviroment left me feeling

It's nice, smells like black licorice, no tongue bite, not wet at all.  Pipesandcigars.com has a sale going right now, 3-1.5 tins for $12.00.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Some unknown black cav.  Damn fine smoke, wish I knew what the name was :/
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Some dark twist while waiting at the tire shop.  Work truck had 3 flats this morning
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Luxury twist flake.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a bowl of GH Dark Flake (unscented) - not quite sure if I really like it, wasn't bad, but seemed a very one-dimensional smoke, was quite satisfying though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a bowl of Half and Half earlier, not bad for a cheap ass burley, but not the greatest either

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Dark twist
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Just finishing up some Frog Morton's On The Bayou.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Aged burley flake and boswell no bite delite the last couple days.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#29]
This weekend 1 bowl full of:

Village 1888 Early Day
Village 1888 Mid-day
Village 1888 Late Night
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Had some Gordon Pym after breakfast.

Had some of my Black cordial/Virginia #1 home mix after lunch...Does anyone else randomly mix their tobacco's to see what its like???

Think I'll have some more Pym after some dessert.  This is my first English blend...and I like it.  Do most English blends leave that hairy tongue and roof feeling?

But I do like the Aro's too...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kdj70] [#31]
Aromatic from Stateline Tobacco Sidetrack Tobacco called My Blend. Framed picture and letter from Gerald Ford on the wall, according to the owner he bought some years ago and would occasionally order a pound or two by mail.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Got to work early today and yesterday, sat outside and smoked a bowl of Aristocrat on both days.  I may have to do this more often as It seems to make the day much less stressful.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Got a bowl of outlaw going.  Waiting on them to get the crane togther so I can get unloaded and go home.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Enjoying a bowl of SG Cob Plug thats been stored away for about 4-5 years, very good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Enjoying a bowl of Habana daydream by cornell and diehl. I highly recommend it for any cigar lovers. It has great cigar flavor while not being too heavy or overdone. I have a feeling that my 2 ounces will disappear quickly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:57:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half_Rack] [#36]
Been having a rather stressful week of work so I decided to have another bowl tonight. This time I am having a bowl of Peter Stokkebye's luxury bullseye flake. It is a pretty solid Va/per. Light to medium body with a nice perique spice.

Eta: just a little update since i'm close to the end of the bowl. The smoke has developed into a richer smoke. The sweetness has tapered a little bit and the spice is still noticeable. This would be a great anytime smoke, very enjoyable. And I can honestly say that this is the first bowl I have had that didnt require but one relight the whole way through.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#37]
smoked a bowl of Plumcake on the way to work.  Loaded up another bowl for the ride home.  Time flies when puffing away!
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Had my first bowl of Penzance.  After opening the package into a mason jar for a few days.  I took some out and let it sit for an hour.  This stuff was very moist out of the package.  Not sure if it was the humidity outside or the tobacco but the pipe was gurgling more than normal.  It didn't feel nearly as soggy after rubbing it out so maybe it was a combo of the two.

It was a nice smoke...much less latakia than the Gordon Pym I have been smoking.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bullofspadez:
Had my first bowl of Penzance.  After opening the package into a mason jar for a few days.  I took some out and let it sit for an hour.  This stuff was very moist out of the package.  Not sure if it was the humidity outside or the tobacco but the pipe was gurgling more than normal.  It didn't feel nearly as soggy after rubbing it out so maybe it was a combo of the two.

It was a nice smoke...much less latakia than the Gordon Pym I have been smoking.

This might not be the proper way to fix gurgling.  I'll blow into the pipe a couple times instead of drawing.  Everyone has their own method.  Just put a match to some outlaw cavandish blend with a touch of lakita.  Been trying to develop a taste for lakita
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#40]

This might not be the proper way to fix gurgling.  I'll blow into the pipe a couple times instead of drawing.  Everyone has their own method.  Just put a match to some outlaw cavandish blend with a touch of lakita.  Been trying to develop a taste for lakita

I usually carry a couple regular pipe cleaners and use that to soak it up...I had to do this 4-6 times during the bowl.  It's been super humid around here and I smoke outside.  Cold pipe from indoors and going out into the heat, can't be the best condition either.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#41]

I usually carry a couple regular pipe cleaners and use that to soak it up...I had to do this 4-6 times during the bowl.  It's been super humid around here and I smoke outside.  Cold pipe from indoors and going out into the heat, can't be the best condition either.

I have a new Savinelli (2001 Collection) with a balsa filter system, I was trying to avoid filters, but this was too good of a deal to pass up (50% off), and I liked the pipe's look and feel.

The filter *really* seems to help with moisture. I'm sold on that type of filter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Cracked open some G.L. Pease Montgomery today for work.  Had two bowls throughout the day.  The breakfast bowl was very nice...lots of sweet cigar type flavors from all the different types of Virginian's in there.  I might mix a little Perique in for tomorrow.  Try my whack at a VaPer.

The second pipe I must have packed bad.  I thought the draw was good until the charring and a light tamp.  Draw went to hell and seemed over-packed.  This bowl had a lot of grass/straw taste.  I tried to salvage it by stirring up the bowl to loosen it up but then it just burnt hot and flavorless for the most part.  It did calm down towards the end.

I really need better packing skills, still very hit and miss.

And my corncob seems to be cracking around the circumference; right above the stem.  Any ideas to why...my only thought would be too moist tobacco trying to expand and me tamping too hard/much?
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a little Pre-bedtime Stonehaven tonight.  Very nice smoke.  I rubbed it out and let it sit for over an hour.  I can see why its got such high ratings.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#44]
TInderbox: "Proper English"
Link Posted: 7/28/2010 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Enjoying some Billy Budd by Cornell and Diehl.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Had some Frog Morton On The Bayou again tonight. Pretty decent smoke, although it was a little inconsistent. I think I'll have to try it in a different pipe next time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Squadron Leader while listening to the cardinals sing this morning. First time smoking an english, wasn't too sure about it when I opened the tin and took a whiff, but wow ! No gurgle, no wet goop, no over-heated pipe, I think this is more what I was expecting pipe smoking to be like. Gonna try some HH Syrian later.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Finishing a bowl of Billy Budd before getting back to the grind wayyyy to early tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By kdj70:
Squadron Leader while listening to the cardinals sing this morning. First time smoking an english, wasn't too sure about it when I opened the tin and took a whiff, but wow ! No gurgle, no wet goop, no over-heated pipe, I think this is more what I was expecting pipe smoking to be like. Gonna try some HH Syrian later.

You'll never go back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By kdj70:

You'll never go back.

I tend to agree...I have yet to try SL...but find myself enjoying the Gordon Pym more and more.  Even more than the VaPer's.  I would like to find a good Aro though.
Page / 61
Tacked What's in your bowl? (Page 3 of 61)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top