Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 5:23:54 PM EDT
I just got my first bulk order from CI and it came in the humidor pictured below.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

How do I best preserve these cigars?

They are R&J 1875 and Macanudos.

Also, what is the best butane lighter for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

TC

ETA: I read the FAQ's and the instructions in the box so I'm good to start there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these that just won't stop working.  It was $8 when I bought it:  

torch

Always use triple distilled fuel or none of them will work worth a crap. Since I have passed my lighter around and almost lost it (arfcom Zippo with butane conversion) I prefer to use a cheapo. Funny how the cheapo just won't go missing.  I always forget there is a cigar punch on it.  In fact I just remembered when I read the description again. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, wildearp! I use a $.99 lighter on the road but wanted one a bit classier at home. I'll look for the Torch and thanks for the tip about the fuel!

TC

ETA: Does anyone have trouble getting a cigar punch through airport security? They eyeballedthe shit outta my corkscrew the other day but were looking for a knife. The corkscrew part is ok.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Cigar punch or cutter?  No issue.  Lighter with gas?  No.

Don't use those shit florist foam humidification blocks or the shit 'gel'.  Unless you want mold, because that's how you get mold.

Use Heartfelt Industries humidification beads (I'm in the 72% camp) and distilled water.  

Empty the humidor.  Put the cigars in tupperware or zip lock bags with Boveda packs.  Wipe down the inside of the humidor with distilled water and let it season.

Get a real hygrometer too.  Those analog ones are crap.  You need a calibrate-able one.

Amazon Product
  • Advanced humidity sensor maintains accuracy to +/- 1%
  • Pre-calibrated out of the box + User recalibrate-able
  • Three day high/low & averages for humidity & temperature

I use a zip lock and a Boveda pack to do that (over 24 hours).

Amazon Product
  • 4 pack of Large 60 gram 72 percent RH Boveda in a resealable bag
  • Use 2 Boveda packs for every 50 cigars your humidor can hold
  • Cycles in humidity are eliminated

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks ODA!

TC

ETA: I've been able to take a basic lighter with me in my bag. Even made it through two TSA searches this week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
For a desktop I would use the boveda pack...throw it in and forget it.....you might as well go ahead and read the coolerdor thread and order some heartfelt beads for it
Eta: my bulk stock is kept in coolerdor....the daily smokes go in desktop humidor I usually pull a few every couple of weeks from coolerdor
crappy dark pic from bowels of basement but you get the idea
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of these that just won't stop working.  It was $8 when I bought it:  

torch

Always use triple distilled fuel or none of them will work worth a crap. Since I have passed my lighter around and almost lost it (arfcom Zippo with butane conversion) I prefer to use a cheapo. Funny how the cheapo just won't go missing.  I always forget there is a cigar punch on it.  In fact I just remembered when I read the description again. 
View Quote
I use this cigar lighter, bovida packs, and an electronic hygrometer.

I'm 99% sure we have the same humidor. It works pretty well.  Season it if you didn't already, put distilled water in the foam thingy, toss in a bovida, and enjoy.

Edit: the hygrometer on the front of mine does not seem to hold calibration. I recommend getting an electronic one like this to drop in after you calibrate it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I love using a cheap Ronson JetLite from  WalMart. They are about $4 - they are usually on a rack in the checkout lines.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll second the Boveda bags for a desktop humidor.

Also keep it out of the sun.

Gratuitous Wineador pic... I even keep boveda packs in there.

Attachment Attached File

When I'm in the garage I use a butane brazing torch for a lighter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll second the Boveda bags for a desktop humidor.

Also keep it out of the sun.

Gratuitous Wineador pic... I even keep boveda packs in there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83325/IMG_4802-283099.JPG

When I'm in the garage I use a butane brazing torch for a lighter.
View Quote
Nice....the 858 in maduro on the top shelf is quickly becoming my go to smoke...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice....the 858 in maduro on the top shelf is quickly becoming my go to smoke...
View Quote
858s have been my yard 'gar for a long time.

I also like the Don Carlos number 4 and the Anejo 46 as a go to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top