Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2016 3:52:56 PM EDT
So this was a completely unplanned build. On my weekly stop at the pawn shop I came across this little guy. Couldn't even tell if a wine bottle was ever even in it, paperwork was laying in it and still had that new plastic smell. Thermoelectric and digital read out. The 2 racks I pulled are perfect for a different project.

I was already planning on a Vino 28 from Costco this summer...Since my house has zero AC and the spare bedroom and office get none of the little AC that the window unit puts out.

Frigidaire unit - $15
Digital Hygrometer -$10
Humidor-care jar - $4
Piece of Mahogany - $1

Total so far $30

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

Gonna order some HF 65% and a couple planks for 1/4 spanish cedar to make a better shelf. Basically just used extra stuff laying around the house. There's not a ton of room obviously, but it was something to help with the heat this summer.

All thoughts or ideas for it are welcome...It killed a couple hours this afternoon, so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Great score! How are you planning on holding your cigars? Are you thinking of drawers or using cedar trays or?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you thinking of drawers or using cedar trays or?
View Quote

I'm completely open to ideas...there really isn't a lot of room. 2 drawers would be a lot of dead space, but would look cleaner. Right now it has 3 boxes in it and with beads and some Tetris, I might be able to get 2 more in there...

I think I could stack 3 of the medium tray in it, but then I'm still getting dead space in the back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a bi storage level on mine.
I took the lids off cigar boxes, took the hardware off.

I then flipped the lids and nailed them about half way on the bottom. The top is now a little shelf and the bottom is open to fill.

Cheap easy. Space saving ehhhh but it stores all of my cigars until I get the energy to make drawers.

Ohhh and that cedar smell....... heavenly.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw a pic with the boxes just as you described and looks awesome...

Only thing I can think of with this is build a better, thinner shelf...pack it full and start looking for a bigger one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe you could find a Tupperware that fits the space better, more for singles storage though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to check next time I'm at the grocery store...Dude your fucking avatar kills me ever time I see it!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
My first winedor was an 8 bottle vertical unit.  I bought clear drawer organizers at walmart and drilled ventilation holes with a stepped drill bit.  I bought a few sizes to try.  The ones I stuck with are 12" x 6", so they do leave a little wasted space on the sides, but since yours in horizontal, you can stack them side by side and probably waste less.

I've since sold that one to my neighbor and picked up an 18 bottle vertical unit.  I use the same bins, but I removed the wire shelves in favor of 88 cent plastic cutting boards from walmart.  I also drilled holes in those.  I use a few digital hygros and Boveda packs.

Here is a picture of the 8 bottle and of one of the bins after I drilled it.  I don't have a really good picture of my new one.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Any update?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It's holding great 64-66 %, temp runs great at 66 (the highest temp). Taped the drain hole after a week. Roughly 5 boxes of singles and samplers. It just small and there's no way around it...already looking for something bigger. Needs a temp controller if I want to run it and leave for a couple days with peace of mind, during the summer.  Also there is a matching humidity controller, just want to see how accurate it is against the meter inside. A project for a rainy day.

Amazon links in case anyone with a cooler and hasn't seen these. Easy to wire up and saves it from running at the default temp after an outages.

Edit: Apparently this does both temp and humidity.

http://www.amazon.com/IMAGE%C2%AE-Digital-Humidity-Controller-Measuring/dp/B009VY1BZY/ref=pd_sim_328_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=61%2BdedOgLSL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=11374DHKP0GTB864EAPR
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
And a little something on the media, I just used Boveda 69% packs and was able to put a couple under the shelf and some random small ones in boxes. I'm just rotating and recharging them as needed. They take up barely any room and seem to work great so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top