Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2015 10:07:00 AM EDT
I think I know the answer, but I have a coupe of old mini fridges just sitting around doing nothing and was wondering if they could be converted to store my overflow of sticks. I know they could be used like a coolerdor, but would I be able to use one to keep the temps steady also like a wineador?

My coolerdor is about at maximum capacity and will get up to 76*- 79* during the day and around 73* - 75* at night during the summer months, which last about 9 months here on the surface of the sun. (AKA Central Florida) RH has been staying pretty steady around 66% - 67%.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think one of the reasons wine fridges do well is that they are thermo cooled.  I think the condenser in a regular fridge would keep the humidity levels whacked.

I have been known to be wrong though.
View Quote

You are correct.

Another thread got me thinking of converting a regular fridge.  No dice due to humidity.

However, If you have a stable environment in the basement...no different than a cooler:)
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You are correct.

Another thread got me thinking of converting a regular fridge.  No dice due to humidity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think one of the reasons wine fridges do well is that they are thermo cooled.  I think the condenser in a regular fridge would keep the humidity levels whacked.

I have been known to be wrong though.

You are correct.

I thought that the humidity would be an issue with a regular fridge. I guess I could still use it like a coolerdor...

Quoted:
However, If you have a stable environment in the basement...no different than a cooler:)

I wish I had a basement.
You won't find many basements around here due to the fact that they tend to fill up with rain water and breed billions of mosquitoes for half the year and leak Radon the other half.

I've considered burying a large culvert for an underground storage, but with the water table barely below ground level and the amount of clay in the area, it would probably float to the surface in no time without some major work on a drainage system.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
i used a regular fridge in my garage with an stc-1000 temperature controller. the primary compartment is set at 67 deg and the freezer stays between 34 and 45 deg (good to store beer in). to control the humidity, i just use tupperdor and place it on shelve in the main compartment. I have room to expand a couple more tupperdors that can each be tweaked to specific humidity and aging preferences.

The ziplock brand storage containers at walmart are cheap and maintain a good seal. they should have a size in stock that would fit your mini fridge.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i used a regular fridge in my garage with an stc-1000 temperature controller. the primary compartment is set at 67 deg and the freezer stays between 34 and 45 deg (good to store beer in). to control the humidity, i just use tupperdor and place it on shelve in the main compartment. I have room to expand a couple more tupperdors that can each be tweaked to specific humidity and aging preferences.

The ziplock brand storage containers at walmart are cheap and maintain a good seal. they should have a size in stock that would fit your mini fridge.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-f2bf/k2-_0c4b1996-caa4-4b4d-b3aa-02778b51876d.v1.jpg
View Quote

Use the fridge to keep the temp steady and use the boxes to maintain RH?

Hmmmm..... I also have a full size fridge I'm not using in my shop.  I may need to buy more cigars!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
No experience with it but The medium or large Boveda bags like THESE could also work.  Use the bags to control RH and the fridge for temp control.  Seems like more than I'd want to deal with personally, but I believe it would work in theory at least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top