Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 5:01:42 PM EDT
I hate cigars that are work to keep lit. Last night a cigar that had a good draw, came from my humidor after being in there 6+ months and it still was work to keep lit. If you didn't puff once every 30 seconds it would start to go. Should have chunked it right off. I cut it and relit and same thing. Damn near hyperventiliate trying to keep it going. Wasn't a cheap cigar either. A Padron 1926 80th anniversary. Blah. Wound up chunking it eventually.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
post whore
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I'll abstain from posting in the humidor section in the future.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, nobody stops me
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hate cigars that are work to keep lit. Last night a cigar that had a good draw, came from my humidor after being in there 6+ months and it still was work to keep lit. If you didn't puff once every 30 seconds it would start to go. Should have chunked it right off. I cut it and relit and same thing. Damn near hyperventiliate trying to keep it going. Wasn't a cheap cigar either. A Padron 1926 80th anniversary. Blah. Wound up chunking it eventually.
View Quote

Nathan was it the natural or maduro version?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]
With cigars that are wrapped too tightly, I find giving them a more generous cut helps with air flow. I've cut the entire cap off before.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Natural. I had a generous cut on it, but what was odd was that it really had an open like draw to it. It was the first out of a box of 8 I got 6 months ago as a gift. I hope the others aren't like that either.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Humidity in humidor too high maybe?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think so. I have multiple digital hygrometers as well as one analog and the all agree at 69% to 70% which goes with my multiple 69% Boveda packs I have in that particular humidor. I've had it happen a time or two on some really low end cigars and didn't think much of it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Padron 80th is a figurado, so my first question is how much of the "head" you cut off.
Cut off too little, you are not drawing enough air thru the cigar to sustain burning.
Cut off too much, the cigar falls apart.
If you do not know and are not too experienced in cutting a figurado, try using this:

Second, did you lit the correct end of the cigar?
The open flat or round end is the foot, you lit that end.
The pointy end is the head, which you have to cut, to draw thru.
I seen an inexperienced smoker wasted an 80th by lighting it the wrong end, have the same issue as you.

Third, you sure that your cigar is real, there are fake Padron and Fuente cigars out there, and because Padron anny command higher prices, they are one of the few non-cubans that are faked.
Does yours have the triple bands, like in the picture, and come in either a box of 8 or 10?

Finally, assuming your hydrometers are correct, and you are using 69% pack, what is the temperature?
In my experience, hydrometers can be off by 1 or 2 percent, and I keep mine at 65%, that includes the aging humidor, and I live in South Kalifornia, which tends to be dry (and in an 24 Hour AC house, which is even dryer).
70%/70F is an ideal and reference number.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a bad cigar I guess. I had another one last night and it stayed lit. It was an OK cigar but I'm not sure I would have paid whatever my sister paid for them. She gave me 4 boxes. For the money I could have had a year supply of something else.

Anyway got 3+ boxes left and apparently it was just that cigar hopefully.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Must have been the one cigar. I gave one away at a business lunch and they liked it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like mine a little drier.....62-64% to smoke....65% and a little higher if I am letting them rest.

I found out long ago how just a little different RH really effects how a cigar will smoke.

Echo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Humidity in humidor too high maybe?

I like mine a little drier.....62-64% to smoke....65% and a little higher if I am letting them rest.

I found out long ago how just a little different RH really effects how a cigar will smoke.

Echo
I agree with this.

I dont think your humidor is not within the limits

I found that the lower the %, the easier it was for me to smoke mine.

I dont puff every minute, I puff maybe every 1.5-2 minutes.

Im a slow smoker.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree with these guys......I used to be a 70% guy, and I had some issues with the burn or draw even. Thought it was just humid Florida being humid Florida. But after adjusting my humidity to be between 60-65 my cigars have been smoking much better.

Could even dry box the cigars in advance....that might help as well if you want to keep the humidor at 70%.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#17]
cigars and freedom are stupid.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:10:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

So is reading

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So is reading

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is reading

Touche
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep mine at 65%, other people will take their cigars out of the 69-70% humidity storage and dry box them for a day before smoking them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]
It came out of my office humidor. I like to keep it at 69-70 because it might get opened 15 times a day depending on how many people come in and smoke etc...Kind of for personal use and "give out" use. Never really had a problem before. I'll look into it tho.

I keep the couple at the house a little drier and like the other in the office, never had a problem before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top