Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 1:17:45 PM EDT
With obummer announcing the end of sanctions against trade with Cuba....

Are their smokes really all that great? When will they hit the stores here? Is there a better quality cigar out there?

I know very little about this stuff
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
With obummer announcing the end of sanctions against trade with Cuba....

Are their smokes really all that great? When will they hit the stores here? Is there a better quality cigar out there?

I know very little about this stuff
View Quote

All stores will sellout immediately because everyone and their mother will want a Cuban cigar. Prices will probably be insane and regular cigar smoker won't be the ones buying then it will be hipsters and hotshots in suits.

That's just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The great COHIBA legal show down will happen.......
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Typical 'Absolute Shit' communist quality control will be evident.

Combined with the surge of everyone and their brother looking to try one, it's going to be a dark, dark day for the industry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit just got real!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it a true lift on the entire embargo or just travel?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Combined with the surge of everyone and their brother looking to try one, it's going to be a dark, dark day for the industry.
View Quote

But long term  this will be a good thing.  I still think quality will improve with Cuba and there will be some nice competition  hopefully .  But initially everyone who has always wanted to try a cuban cigar will go out and blow the market up for the first few years.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it a true lift on the entire embargo or just travel?
View Quote

He hasn't lifted shit. He want's to "reopen diplomatic relations".

Congress would have to lift the embargo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
What are the chances of the embargo being lifted?  If congress doesn't do it, Obama will just issue an executive
order...  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
All stores will sellout immediately because everyone and their mother will want a Cuban cigar. Prices will probably be insane and regular cigar smoker won't be the ones buying then it will be hipsters and hotshots in suits.

That's just my opinion though.
View Quote

Can you buy skinny jeans and Cuban cigars at any of the same stores?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't expect Cuban cigars on US shelves anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't smoke cigars or support communism, but can't you just get them from Canada?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've been all over US shelves for years
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to know the secret password to get the clerk's interest.

"The unladen swallow flies east at night."

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ago it was going into a store I'd been going to for years and saying "I'm looking for something special to celebrate <a thing>." The owner opened one of the wall cabinets and literally slid open a secret shelf
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

From what I have read General Cigar owns the rights to sell Cohibas in the US and other parts of the world and is not based on anything to do with Cohiba in Cuba.

I don't see this panning out like people can go down to the local store and pick up a quality cuban. Lots more fakes and now a massive influx of crap "cubans".

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Whatever.....
View Quote
Agreed with this. Even if it's lifted it won't change a thing. Cubans will still be crap if you don't buy from the right company. Even then the stuff grown outside of Cuba will still be far superior.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Expect massive amounts of fakes, *IF* the embargo were lifted. Cubans hold a large portion of the European and Asian markets, I'm don't think they would risk that buy selling everything to the USA.

Since there is no importation or distribution system in place, expect anything your source locally to be fake. Let the suckers with money over brains buy those, spend your money at trust sources.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how much this will disrupt availability from overseas sources that ship here...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
As I understand it, this currently will only apply to people traveling directly back from the island, bring up to $100 worth of cigars, and rum? Is this correct?
My local esteemed proprietor has said that he plans to hopefully carry some inventory if and when Congress lifts the embargo completely.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But long term  this will be a good thing.  I still think quality will improve with Cuba and there will be some nice competition  hopefully .  But initially everyone who has always wanted to try a cuban cigar will go out and blow the market up for the first few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long term? Yes, I can see it working out.

Unfortunately, I think that the demand from the initial boom immediately after the embargo was lifted would lead to a lot of corners getting cut in grading/rolling of the cigars, leading to a lot of pissed off consumers.

That, and as a retailer, I'm really not looking forward to the flat brimmed hat wearing fucktards trying to convince me that cuban cigars have marijuana in them, and that's why they were illegal. (No shit, this rumor was going around in the ghetto here a few years back... all of the hood rats were flooding into the store looking for cubans)
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't smoke cigars or support communism, but can't you just get them from Canada?
View Quote

The US is the only country on earth that has a trade embargo with them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The only thing that will happen initially if the embargo is lifted is the US courts will have to figure out whose trademarks will be allowed.  Every single cuban factory has a copycat brand that is trademarked in the US.  Some of the brands aren't copycat per se.  Montecristo for example was taken over by the Cuban Govt and the owner went to the Dominican Republic and reestablished the factory as a Dominican product for the US market.  I believe Imperial Tobacco holds about 10 of the trademarks and General Cigar holds a bunch also.

Anyway, if the embargo is lifted, the Cuban Montecristo couldn't just go on the shelves because of the trademark infringement with Imperial Tobacco's Montecristo brand.  Someone will have to give up their trademark or the name and logo will have to change.  Do you see any established company offering to just give up their name and logo?  I believe that once the embargo is lifted, it will take a long, long time for the courts to figure everything out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top