Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 5:21:48 PM EDT
This is a multipart question

1.  If any of you have wives/SOs that hate smoking, how do you deal with them?

2.  Where do you smoke?  I don't mind going outside most of the time, but in extreme cold or heat or when the mosquitoes
are out, it can be unpleasant...  And I thought I had a genius idea when my wife was away last week – I smoked in the
bathroom with the vent fan on.  Turns out I’m no Einstein – it still smells slightly like smoke

3.  Would it be possible to make a hood similar to one over a stove to suck up the smoke and vent out an approximately
8”x16” basement window, or would this not move enough air out and still make the basement smell like smoke?  Any other
ideas on making an area of the basement OK to smoke in?

4.  One of the best times I have to smoke a cigar is on my hour-long drive home from work.  I crack my window and turn
the fan to the floor vent and put it on high.  This works pretty well.  Does anyone else have tips/tricks for car smoking?

Answer any or all.

Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife does not want me to smoke at all.  Her dad smoked 80+ cigars a week.  She always comments how bad they smell.  OH WELL.  Right now 2040hrs mtime I'm just at the finish of a Diesel Belicoso  and enjoying it, I'm also outside on the porch.  She is processing basil from the garden.  You just have to find the right time and place. It's kinda like guns, she will either get over it or..........  I do have a cigar night at one of the local dives along with a wee beverage.  She would prefer that I remained home instead soo...here I am, on the back porch and loving it.  Some women just can't stand the smell of cigars.  She prefers my pipe as long as it smells sweet and fruity/vinillaish and I find I can get along in public with this also.  She objects at the smell of latakia and the stronger stuff.  You are not going to hide smoking cigars so it's either them or....find a night that you can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is a multipart question

1.  If any of you have wives/SOs that hate smoking, how do you deal with them?

2.  Where do you smoke?  I don't mind going outside most of the time, but in extreme cold or heat or when the mosquitoes
are out, it can be unpleasant...  And I thought I had a genius idea when my wife was away last week – I smoked in the
bathroom with the vent fan on.  Turns out I’m no Einstein – it still smells slightly like smoke

3.  Would it be possible to make a hood similar to one over a stove to suck up the smoke and vent out an approximately
8”x16” basement window, or would this not move enough air out and still make the basement smell like smoke?  Any other
ideas on making an area of the basement OK to smoke in?

4.  One of the best times I have to smoke a cigar is on my hour-long drive home from work.  I crack my window and turn
the fan to the floor vent and put it on high.  This works pretty well.  Does anyone else have tips/tricks for car smoking?

Answer any or all.

Thanks, guys.
View Quote

MY wife do not like me smoking cigar, but I have a strong will, guess what, you just have to deal with or ignore it.

As for indoor smoking, short of having an isolated room with independent AC/Heat and air filter, you are not going to get rid of the smell.  For a non smoker, they can detect the slightest hint f cigar smoke.

Long drive is a good place to smoke a cigar, but I find it is also the worse place to smoke some of your best, plus the wind noise, and occasionally, ashes.  I much prefer smoking cigars after meals, with a good adult beverage, like whiskey or cognac.
I smoke outdoors or at the cigar lounge.  I temporary temped to turn my study/armory into the smoking room, and learn about separate ventilation and filtration.  I gave up.  
The nights here are not too hot or cold, with occasional hot or cold spells, but that is only a few days out of a year.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice.

I'm sure she's not different than most wives, but boy can mine hold on to something.  I'll just have to lay down the law

I'd love to be able to have a room or area in the house where I could smoke a cigar in peace, but it sounds like it'll stink up
everything.  One more option I'm thinking of pursuing is using the tiny little bathroom downstairs that is never used.  It doesn't
have a vent fan, but it has a window that would fit one of those duel-blade fans...  And the toilet's lid is cushy
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It's my girlfriend and she smokes too. The difference is when she doesn't wanna smoke, I can't smoke either. I always go for a short drive when i want to smoke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top