Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 12:34:04 AM EDT
Inherited a bunch of pipes from my grandfathers estate, and I'm enjoying the occasional smoke.

I would like your recommendations on tobaccos and other must haves for pipe smokers.

Let's consider this a pipe smokers FAQ thread.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Captain Black's Gold is a good generic smoke. I usually reach for a tin of Ashton Smooth Sailing, though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to local smokes store and get a bunch of different types of tobacco. Try flavored tobaccos too, but have a separate pipe for flavored smokes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to local smokes store and get a bunch of different types of tobacco. Try flavored tobaccos too, but have a separate pipe for flavored smokes.
View Quote

Corncobs are cheap. Especially if you get seconds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
crack
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Inherited a bunch of pipes from my grandfathers estate, and I'm enjoying the occasional smoke.

I would like your recommendations on tobaccos and other must haves for pipe smokers.

View Quote

IM me an address I will send you some samples

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to your local tobacconist, and ask them for Lane's 1-Q.

Everybody that sells pipes carries it, they just change the name. It is probably the single most popular tobacco blend in the country.
Light, sweet, pleasant aroma, and cool burning.

When you're ready, step up to this guy. Probably my all time favorite.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Start off with Lane's 1-Q and/or RLP-6.

I actually blend the two along with some Lane's BCA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#9]

You have some 1Q in the package I sent. As well as my favorite Red Ribbon and a host of other samples.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You have some 1Q in the package I sent. As well as my favorite Red Ribbon and a host of other samples.
View Quote

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got your package, and all I can say is "wow."

Thank you, this will keep me smoking for some time, it will be nice to try all these awesome tobaccos.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Solani Red or Green.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it recommend to store pipe tobacco in a humidor?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No,  mason jars work well but for those zip locks I sent you just put the bags in a Tupperware, they will keep for quite a while.  when you decide what you want to keep on hand in larger quantities then Mason jars work the best.  I have some tobaccos that have been jarred for 8 years and are perfect.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No,  mason jars work well but for those zip locks I sent you just put the bags in a Tupperware, they will keep for quite a while.  when you decide what you want to keep on hand in larger quantities then Mason jars work the best.  I have some tobaccos that have been jarred for 8 years and are perfect.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a ton of mason jars. I also got this with the pipes...

Sorry about the odd background. The bar doesn't have any lighting at all.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Another of the pipes.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a fan of English blends, but a decent readily available aromatic is Captain Black Royal.  I'd say open the pouch and
let it dry out a bit first or you'll have a wet, gurgly smoke that leaves a deposit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Enjoy your grandfathers pipes. Feel free to clean them if they have cake. There are methods to remove the ghosting that strong perique and Latikata tobaccos can leave behind. Once you have cleaned the cake, fill bowl with canning salt (pure-no idodine) and pack tight, moisten the salt with grain alcohol or similar spirit and let dry. This can be repeated several times. This will draw out many of the impurities, bitterness, and heavy ghosting. Do not do this to your Meerschaum as they do not ghost, simply clean and smoke. Also do not run the Meerschaum under water. Water softens the stone and weakens it.

Every smoker need a pipe tool they help with cutting the accumilated cake and empting the bowl many have a tamper affixed to it. I use a pipe nail to tamp, I also use a nickle 30.06 case at times. Tip for cigar smokers is to champher the case neck to use as a cigar cutter, so now you have a pipe tamper and cigar cutter.

Be careful when smoking as not to be in a hurry. Many new pipe smokers want to rush the smoke and blow huge plumes of smoke. This is a recipe for tongue bite aka scorched tongue. Try to use a technique similar to gently sipping through a straw. Be advised too that many aeromatics are very moist and can lead to tongue bite easier than say an English blend or a VaPer/straight Va will as the casing has time to dry somewhat. Not true all the time so ymmv. This will also aid in preventing the gurgle of the condensate. If you happen to gurgle keep an absorbant pipe cleaner and run it through the shaft. It happens to me, I tend to produce large amount of saliva and it can find its way into the the bit.

I like Va flake tobaccos. A nice Va is Orlik slices it is a citrusy tabacco that is very forgiving. The full flake can be rubbed out, cut, folded, rolled and folded, ect its up to you. There are ready rubbed versions as well too. I like the rum cased tobaccos too.

Macbaren Dark Twist, Navy Flake and Stokkebye Luxury flake are classics.

Lots of new smokers tend to over fill/pack the bowl. I like to fill loose, light tamp, re-fill, tamp, top-off, tamp. Over tamping can clog the draft hole and make it hard to keep the ember lit and difficult to draw as well.

Good luck! Remember it is more about the journey as opposed to the destination.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Enjoy your grandfathers pipes. Feel free to clean them if they have cake. There are methods to remove the ghosting that strong perique and Latikata tobaccos can leave behind. Once you have cleaned the cake, fill bowl with canning salt (pure-no idodine) and pack tight, moisten the salt with grain alcohol or similar spirit and let dry. This can be repeated several times. This will draw out many of the impurities, bitterness, and heavy ghosting. Do not do this to your Meerschaum as they do not ghost, simply clean and smoke. Also do not run the Meerschaum under water. Water softens the stone and weakens it.

Every smoker need a pipe tool they help with cutting the accumilated cake and empting the bowl many have a tamper affixed to it. I use a pipe nail to tamp, I also use a nickle 30.06 case at times. Tip for cigar smokers is to champher the case neck to use as a cigar cutter, so now you have a pipe tamper and cigar cutter.

Be careful when smoking as not to be in a hurry. Many new pipe smokers want to rush the smoke and blow huge plumes of smoke. This is a recipe for tongue bite aka scorched tongue. Try to use a technique similar to gently sipping through a straw. Be advised too that many aeromatics are very moist and can lead to tongue bite easier than say an English blend or a VaPer/straight Va will as the casing has time to dry somewhat. Not true all the time so ymmv. This will also aid in preventing the gurgle of the condensate. If you happen to gurgle keep an absorbant pipe cleaner and run it through the shaft. It happens to me, I tend to produce large amount of saliva and it can find its way into the the bit.

I like Va flake tobaccos. A nice Va is Orlik slices it is a citrusy tabacco that is very forgiving. The full flake can be rubbed out, cut, folded, rolled and folded, ect its up to you. There are ready rubbed versions as well too. I like the rum cased tobaccos too.

Macbaren Dark Twist, Navy Flake and Stokkebye Luxury flake are classics.

Lots of new smokers tend to over fill/pack the bowl. I like to fill loose, light tamp, re-fill, tamp, top-off, tamp. Over tamping can clog the draft hole and make it hard to keep the ember lit and difficult to draw as well.

Good luck! Remember it is more about the journey as opposed to the destination.

View Quote

Great info here.

I would also research proper packing methods and draw.  This has a lot to do with trying different methods of packing with different tobacco's and tobacco cuts.  Also different drying times of tobacco or if it's needed.

As well as finding one pipe that you'll love something in and everything else smoked just doesn't suit that pipe.

I don't think I have 2 or 3 pipes that I got new.  I have had way more fun finding bargains and searching pipe makers buying estate pipes(as well as giving them a good cleaning).  So enjoy those heirlooms!

Also with cleaning those pipes... a good way to clean up those stems is to take some toothpaste, mix it with a little Mothers polish and use a toothbrush.  After you polish them black again, rub(very light coat) some Vaseline on them.  This helps keep the air from oxidizing them as fast.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I like to buy 1/2-1 lb at a time, I will split them up into several different wide mouth Mason jars. I'll put some in the 1/2 pint, pint, and Qt. Write the name of the contenst and put them in my stash. When I finally get around to the larger containers a good period of time has gone sat and it has aged quite well. Virginias do well with aging.

Dry tobacco can be rehydrated so if it dries out don't toss it. Mist it with some water or your favorite booze mix it around and let it absorb and rehydrate. Google sometimes if your curious. I was at a tobacco shop and the owner delt mainly in cigars, he was telling me he no longer carried tins becuase they were drying out and threw them all away
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top