Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 2:26:46 PM EDT
Totally new to cigars.   Just started a few months ago.   Sorry for the long post but here goes....

I went and bought the glass top humidor $29 special online.   Got it home last Tuesday and did NOT calibrate the hydro.  I put a shot glass full of water in it and after a couple days it was around 55%.   Added steaming water a few times to the glass over a couple more days and got it to about 60%.   Finally used a small saucer and added steaming water to that and a piece of damp cedar.  Got it up to 72% or so according to the analog.   Waited one day and it stayed around 70%.   FInally added a bunch of cigars that have been sitting in a tupperdore with a 250 count Xikar humidification bar.  Xkiar went in the humidor also.

This AM I was down to 60% again.  

WTF am I doing wrong?

I thought maybe the seal is poor as it passes the dollar bill test everywhere but in one corner.  I have been dampening the corner when I add water to try and get it to swell slightly.  Trying not to open it too much so I am not losing the damp air.

Directions say seasoning could take a couple days.  Local guy says give it two weeks and at least 3 days at proper (70) humidity.   Bought a digital hydro from him and it is showing within 1% of the analog.

Help?  Am I just too impatient?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help.

The space on the side is small, but will not hold a dollar bill for the last inch or so of that corner but is only slightly wider than the dollar bill thickness.  

Just found my first problem.  Digital matched at 70 with analog at about 69,  digital is now showing 75% with a saucer of water in the humi (empty) and the analog is still showing 70%.   Guessing the analog is getting "stuck" at 70% or so.  

Cigars are back out and in the tupperware with the Xikar block in with them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I would pick up a couple boveda calibration packs and check your hygrometers.  They are fairly inexpensive, and you can find them places like amazon.

Also, you don't really need to be at 70% humidity.  I like to stay between 60 and 65%.  I have heard many people say that the more  moisture you have in a cigar the less flavor you have.  

You also reduce your chances of beetle problems if you keep them a little more dry and a little cooler.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top