Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
5.0 can we see a picture of the rifle now and what kind of wear happened and where on the rifle it happened?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#2]
Most of the rifle has gone back to stock or dismantled and sold off.  New projects...new priorities

However...I can tell you where wear occured and show you some parts through older pics.

The grips, the tailcap on the light, the head of the light, the burnsed sling loop, take down pins, where my cheek would rest on the stock, and various other nicks and scratches.  I will say that the finish underneath has seemed to be protected by the paint however.

I'll go through some old pics and pull'em up.

ETA: Pics...

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion, that is the AR15 at its sexiest.  With what started as a Sweet looking rifle, is now sweet looking but with wear and tear.  Thanks for everything man.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 11:23:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Mil-Surp-Phreak-] [#4]
Started out with the intention of doing Multicam, but somewhere along the way I screwed up one too many times and ended up with Ghettocam.  But, its the effort that counts and I can use the experiences on this paintjob to do better next time.  Gonna leave this one on until I get sick of it and then do Multicam for real.  I ended up WAY too green really but I like the way it looks and it is something different.  On the plus side, it goes pretty well with my ACUs.

Link Posted: 8/18/2007 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That turned out pretty good.

Anybody got "green" that is close to the bright green of live foliage, all my green based cammos are either too light or too dark.
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]
What I did was lay down a coat of Khaki and let it sit for a good hour or so.  Then I misted heavily the hunter green(a little too much if I do say so) and then hit it with Khaki to tone it down.  If I had used a little bit more khaki I think I would have ended up with Foilage Green to match my ACUs.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
How much overspray did ya get doing it in the shower like that???
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 11:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#8]

Originally Posted By Shrike9:
How much overspray did ya get doing it in the shower like that???

Hehe...I did it outside and just hung them up in the shower to dry as I don't have a garage.  

Mil-Surp....that looks very nice and is a very close match to ACU/UCP colors.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread has inspire me to paint my AK.

The only problem is I now have to find a good camo scheme to go with.

Suggestions? Pics?
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:
This thread has inspire me to paint my AK.

The only problem is I now have to find a good camo scheme to go with.

Suggestions? Pics?

I'm thinkin some Polish desert cam.  Is your AK a 47 or 74 or other variant?
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 9:50:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UH_SALT_RIFLE] [#11]
It's a BWK90 in 5.56

You mean like this?

No not a bunch of stupid little red x's (damn it)

Ok lets try again...

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep exactly.  Kind of gives it that Polish Beryl look

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I like it. Now I just have to get a sample of it and make some stencils.

It looks like some of the same colors you used will apply.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The darker color looks green in some pics and brown in others. Can you clear that up for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 12:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#15]
I would try to get the OD for the greenish brown, khaki for the lightest tan color, and possibly medium brown for the darker tan color.  Also you may want to try both the khaki and sand colors b/c they are different but I've never actually tried the sand before.  If I get some time today (my day off) I'll attempt this on something of mine to get an idea of OD, khaki, and md. brown will work.  There are definitely some fading darks in that darker tan so I'm not sure I could pull that off w/out going the airbrush route but for a rattle can job and about 30 minutes worth of work it should look alright.  Wish I still had my AK to do this now .

Good luck and hope you pull it off.  I've never seen anyone replicate the Polish camo look.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I sent out my plastic for my Arsenal SA-M5 to get the water transfer Multicam camo applied.  I will try to get a few pics in the next week.  They did the upper and lower handguards, buttstock, pistol grip and 4 30 round 5.56 mags....

AC
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By AC_Doctor:
I sent out my plastic for my Arsenal SA-M5 to get the water transfer Multicam camo applied.  I will try to get a few pics in the next week.  They did the upper and lower handguards, buttstock, pistol grip and 4 30 round 5.56 mags....

AC

Can't wait to see it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#18]
Alright I painted up an old ammo carton using khaki (base coat) then took those manilla folders and cut one up for the pattern.  Laid it across and sprayed the medium brown.  Then I taped over certain parts and threw down some OD.  I still need to revise a few things but it turned out closer to the colors and pattern than I had initially thought.

And here's one of the fiance right before camo/patriotic night at work (she's a waitress) and I made her wear all my stuff .  And yes that is a Larue hat

ETA: I tried getting her to wear my first line and told her she could use the m4 mag pouches for her notepad, the 6o4 pistol mag pouches for her pens and shit and then the 6005 would just ensure ppl give her a good tip.  She gave me a face and I decided not to push it any further.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome work again. You are the camo master!

I will be picking up the paint for the AK hopefully tonight. I need to create some templates and do a test run like you did. Maybe I can get this done this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.  I did the stock of an m-14 once, but I have never done the whole thing.  I suppose I should.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey thanks.  Honestly if I wasn't going into LE I would have went into art.  So that's why I love doing these things and find interest in them.  

I hope you get it done this weekend too b/c if it turns out good I may build an AK soon and do the same paint job....if you don't mind.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
Hey thanks.  Honestly if I wasn't going into LE I would have went into art.  So that's why I love doing these things and find interest in them.  

I hope you get it done this weekend too b/c if it turns out good I may build an AK soon and do the same paint job....if you don't mind.  

Hey it was your idea to begin with, I should be asking you if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Hey it was your idea to begin with, I should be asking you if you don't mind.

Shoot I could care less if a vasili girl cries (or however the saying goes).    I gotta build the AK first though.  HTF guys are having a build party sometime in November or so.  Hoping to piece together a -74 kit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Look what ya gone and made me do.

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Look what ya gone and made me do.

img164.imageshack.us/img164/3070/dscn2332jj8.jpg

What all are you gonna paint?  Everything?  You gonna get some plastic handguards and stock?  I think an ACE folder w/ the tang cut would look awesome.  But then again...I do like fixed stocks also.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#26]
The whole damn thing.

If I don't like it I can always strip it and repaint and stain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#27]
OKAY.......

So cutting out the pattern sucked. I increased the size by resampling the picture of the jacket and decided to cut out a large chunk of the picture and use it as a template. It didn't quite work.

The pattern did NOT come out like the picture. It came out really cool, but it did not look like the picture.

I tried it, I like it, and I can't wait for the damn thing to dry so I can reassemble and take a finished picture!

I would like to thank you fivepointoh, this was a fun project and turned an old ordinary gun into something fun. The only problem I had was it was NOT a do it yourself job. Once my wife saw it she had to help. She even let me spray paint her hands while she held the pattern up (Thank you sweety) so we both enjoyed it.

Here is a few teasers of the finished job....
BEFORE

Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#28]
HOLY CRAP am I happy with the finished product!

Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice Job, It looks a whole lot like the camo pattern.

It looks cool,
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/15/2007 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn Salt,

That really looks good.  I'll definitely stop by the store as soon as Cheek gets back to this school to start his 2007-2008 SRO Tour from his surgery/vacation.  I can't stand being confined to a building.

* Discipline starts at the home and not at school.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I multicam'ed my SKS...

Link Posted: 9/16/2007 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Lookin great guys.  Totally awesome.  Don't forget to post your pics in the pic thread for the refinishing section!
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Lookin great guys.  Totally awesome.  Don't forget to post your pics in the pic thread for the refinishing section!

???
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#35]

???

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=199533
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 3:14:34 AM EDT
[#36]
did you try the Alumahyde II Matte Clear yet ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#37]
From the pic of the lower, it looks like you painted the inside of the rifle too (hammer) how did that work out?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By KavonTN:
From the pic of the lower, it looks like you painted the inside of the rifle too (hammer) how did that work out?

That was just overspray.  I rubbed it off aferwards.

As for the AHII clear...didn't use it.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, some awesome projects. This thread is giving me all kinds of ideas though....
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Great pics guys.

Link Posted: 10/31/2007 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad you guys are enjoying the thread.

I wish I was an FFL so I could accept rifles to paint.  I would then bump up to airbrushes and do my best to match the pattern perfectly.  

Either way...keep the pics and projects coming.

-Pat
Link Posted: 11/12/2007 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#42]
How would you paint an ACOG?
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Anybody do any digital??
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#44]
OP that looks amazing, I was wondering though, how does it hold up to heat after shooting?  I know it wont hold up to dings and such, but I'm just concerned about the paint flaking or peeling after getting hot from shooting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By phecke:
OP that looks amazing, I was wondering though, how does it hold up to heat after shooting?  I know it wont hold up to dings and such, but I'm just concerned about the paint flaking or peeling after getting hot from shooting.

I just shot the hell outta my AK and no flaking or peeling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By phecke:

I just shot the hell outta my AK and no flaking or peeling.

Same here.  The non military camo (satin green) did melt and become a liquid state on the barrel but didn't really mess anything up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#47]
thanks for the great write-up, fivepointoh!  awesome work.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:41:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fivepointoh] [#48]

Originally Posted By snail50:
thanks for the great write-up, fivepointoh!  awesome work.  

No problem, and thank you, however if you go to the refinishing forum, there is a member who posted a thread on doing his own multicam work.  It is simply amazing.  I'm sure most, w/ a lil time and practice could make theirs look as good as his but his is the best homegrown multicam I've seen to date.  Not to mention his method of doing it is pretty damn good too.

I need to pick up a cheap 1911 and send it off to get it dipped in the MC coating.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Good thread, should be tacked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Reserving a spot for my other AR15 that I will be painting this weekend.  And a free bump to a good post.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top