Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 11:29:51 PM EDT
Recently I've gotten interested in medieval armor and even ordered some cheap replica armor for display. But there's one little piece that's missing from those replicas called a besagew that I want to make. They're about 11 inches in diameter and are basically a round, flower-petal shaped protective plate for the armpit.

I've never worked with metal aside fr before but I have already managed to cut out the basic shape with 16 gauge sheet metal and using a bending brake to make out the individual petal shapes. But hammering out the curvature on the petal shapes properly like that is where I get completely lost. Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
YouTube Is your friend.

There are plenty of others with details on just about every piece.

and how to make it
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I won't claim to know what I'm talking about, but if it were me I'd probably try getting a piece of hardwood, like an un-split oak firewood chunk, and chiseling/whittling/carving the concave profile of one of the petals into the end grain.  Use that as a form, hammering the steel sections into it and rotating it as you go.  Actually rather than just rotating I'd probably work opposite sections in sequence, like tightening lug nuts on a car, to more evenly distribute stretching and distortion.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#3]
How to make a dishing stump
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
English wheel perhaps?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
English wheel perhaps?  
View Quote
I was thinking more planishing hammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top