Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2017 1:22:27 AM EDT
No idea if this will end well but lets find out.

This was apparently my Great Grandfathers BB gun he used to shoot squirrels messing with his bird feeders.

I know the air tube is busted off since I have that here in my hand so that will need to be replaced.

And we're off!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice! 

You may want to post in here too -->  http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/54_Airguns.html
View Quote
Good point. Didn't know that existed.

Maybe this should be moved.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
According to this site my model appears to be Variation 4

Here is the new seal kit I ordered and need to get installed. Next to it is the old air tube that came out.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's disassemble this thing and see where we get.

Need to take a couple of screws out.

Missing the rear screw but we can replace that pretty easy

Next we have to take the spring mechanism out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
To get the cocking mechanism out we need to start by taking out the front screw here

Now we need to pull the cocking mechanism down ALL the way and pull out the flat guide bar.

This is kind of a BITCH!

I ended up folding up a towel and placing on my stomach while holding the barrel w/ left hand, cocking with right hand, and somehow using one of my hands to pull out the flat bar.

Here is the end of the flat bar that needs to be in the right position to come out

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Now we need to get the cocking mechanism out of the barrel.

The anchor pin needs to come out and then we can push the mechanism out of the barrel

Pushing anchor pin down to pull out

Pin out

This also was kind of a bitch to get out. I ended up gently slamming the barrel down on the towel as well as using a rubber mallet to get the thing out

It's out!

And now Houston we have a problem 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Aah, the pld finger pincher! Wow i loved to hate mine when i was a youngling.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool project!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ohhh noooooo!!!!

Not a problem
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:58:56 AM EDT
[#10]
So here was the first thing I ran into.

I hear the No. 25's had a longer air tube. Well looky here. New one is a tad shorter.

I contacted the seller of the item and he said that it is shorter but still should be fine.

I then decided to continue on.

Until the next issue came along 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#11]
So I ended up taking the barrel seal out and looked at it next to the plunger seal.

Well shit!

These are leather.

This is a 1954 model and should not be leather. These should be rubber. Someone swapped them out at some point. The problem is is that the leather setup has a different spring.

Here are the two next to each other.

Time to figure out what to do next.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#12]
While I was trying to figure out what to do I did some cleaning.

Lost a little paint on the receiver  I'll have to figure out a way to touch that up. The No 25's at this point were getting painted and not blued.

So here is the deal.

I could use the new seal kit with this setup but the spring would need to be cut down a few turns. I hear that these leather springs are harder to find so I didn't want to ruin it so I found a unit on ebay that not only has the right spring but also an original longer air tube.

I'll take the spring and air tube off of the ebay find and put it on this gun and set it back to original.

Top one is the ebay find. Here you can see I have removed the broken air tube section to get ready to swap parts over.

I also found and got in a trigger spring

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking at this again this appears to be Variation 5 not 4 as I previously stated.

More to come
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I did a quickie tear down rebuild on my dad's uncle's Daisy 25 a few years back. I remember making  a spring compression tool for re-assembling it out of conduit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Time to put this thing back together.

Put the spring and plunger on. This setup puts the spring behind a longer pin instead of up against the plunger. New barrel seal at front.

Putting the unit back into the barrel needed some help. I used a small dowel and a mallet. Somewhere in the process I gouged my finger and blood was going everywhere 

You can see some on the mallet handle.

Here it is all back together.

I let it sit here for about an hour since I put a tiny bit of silicone on the new barrel seal to help keep it in place.

In the mean time I put the trigger spring in. Trust me it's in there somewhere 

I forgot to get a pic of the pump slide rod going back in but oh well. Here it is all back together.

Now we need to test it out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Pew pew 

It can drop a BB out the barrel after a fresh reload and tends to shoot 2 during the first shot but then is fine after.

Might be a weak retainer clip. I may just leave it at this point. At least it can shoot again 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top