Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2017 7:38:54 PM EDT
I need a new gas line.  The Gas company shut me off due to a leak.  My current line is steel and I'm guessing its around 50 years old, so patching it is a waste of money.
Im in no big hurry, because the only thing that's gas in the house is the furnace and stove.  I can use my grill and our electric skillet/hotplate for a while.    Just me and my wife.

I have one estimate.  I will get more.  $1000... 60 feet of 1.5 inch plastic pipe from the road to the house at whatever depth is code. He's using a mole, so he wont mess up my driveway and yard.
Is this a good price?   I think its pretty cheap.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to have mine done last winter.  Temps in the low 30's so I needed to have it done quickly.  125 feet $2850 and I had them bury a tracer wire.  The price you got would be about right in  non hurry up scenario.  Just make sure they bury a tracer wire.  If they don't and you need to have the lines marked in th future, they won't be able to find them if there are plastic
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it before the meter? Most plastic lines are feed for meter and the gas company owns them. Your side of the meter should be black pipe or the new plastic covered stuff.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, your post is a little unclear.  You're getting gas line installed from the gas main at the street to your meter?  Or you're getting gas line installed after your meter to somewhere on your property or house?

If it's on the utility side, the polypropylene pipe is normal.  On your end, just use the black iron pipe and you'll be fine.  One thing I will strongly suggest though, some plumbers may elect to use MegaPress fittings.  I actually have some in my own house and their work great.  However, for a new install of iron pipe, I would insist on threading.  The reason why is because if somewhere down the road you need to tie in another line, or whatever, it will be far easier to do this with threaded pipe.  MegaPress works great, but in my opinion it's good if you need some kind of a patch job done.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, your post is a little unclear.  You're getting gas line installed from the gas main at the street to your meter?  Or you're getting gas line installed after your meter to somewhere on your property or house?

If it's on the utility side, the polypropylene pipe is normal.  On your end, just use the black iron pipe and you'll be fine.  One thing I will strongly suggest though, some plumbers may elect to use MegaPress fittings.  I actually have some in my own house and their work great.  However, for a new install of iron pipe, I would insist on threading.  The reason why is because if somewhere down the road you need to tie in another line, or whatever, it will be far easier to do this with threaded pipe.  MegaPress works great, but in my opinion it's good if you need some kind of a patch job done.

Hope this helps.
View Quote
Ok thx for the info.

My meter is at the street... I need from there to the house. The guy with estimate was recommended by the gas company.  I'm assuming he's doing it per their specs.

ETA... I'm on a private gas well that feeds my street.. the main is steel too. This is rural. The gas company is 4 people and has a bunch of wells all over this area with similar setups dating way back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting about the private gas wells.  For back up power you can have a generator that runs on gas.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting about the private gas wells.  For back up power you can have a generator that runs on gas.
View Quote
Yup, I do. It's the one thing I count on working, except this week.... even though I can turn the gas back on myself.... the leak wasn't detectable by smell. Ever spring they they test everyone's lines with a sniffer as a courtesy. Better to find out now, than in Jan.   
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yup, I do. It's the one thing I count on working, except this week.... even though I can turn the gas back on myself.... the leak wasn't detectable by smell. Ever spring they they test everyone's lines with a sniffer as a courtesy. Better to find out now, than in Jan.   
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is oderizing the gas and where?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had to have mine done last winter.  Temps in the low 30's so I needed to have it done quickly.  125 feet $2850 and I had them bury a tracer wire.  The price you got would be about right in  non hurry up scenario.  Just make sure they bury a tracer wire.  If they don't and you need to have the lines marked in th future, they won't be able to find them if there are plastic
View Quote
Unless there's somebody that can "witch" em.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
there is a little shed right at the wellhead.  I suppose it gets done there, because it smells like regular big company gas.   the BTU content of this gas is higher than normal too, because it never gets separated like a traditional gas separation plant would do for mass distribution where they pull out the methane, butane and other marketable by-products. There is a small water separation tower right next to the well and I've seen the workers blowing drips as they call it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn.  Our gas company runs our line from the street to the meter for free.  
But the shit head gas contractor wanted $2500 to run 1/2 galvanized four feet from the meter and three feet into the kitchen to the stove.  My AC guy told me to do it and he would inspect and sign off.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But the shit head gas contractor wanted $2500 to run 1/2 galvanized four feet from the meter and three feet into the kitchen to the stove.  My AC guy told me to do it and he would inspect and sign off.  
View Quote
The meter is at the street attached to the main and my line.  I am responsible for the portion between the meter and my house.  Its about 60 feet long and goes under my driveway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]
It's polyethylene (PE) not polypropylene
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The meter is at the street attached to the main and my line.  I am responsible for the portion between the meter and my house.  Its about 60 feet long and goes under my driveway.
View Quote
OK. That makes sense now.  Our meters are up against our houses here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah well that's how it is everywhere around here too.  Mters at the house.  My little rinky dink company has there own way of doing things.  Like for instance, my bill  it comes on regular printer paper and the part you mail in, you have to cut it off with scissors, and my account number is 14.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
talked to a couple gas line guys. they all wanted $1000.
The first guy I liked the best, so I called him back and asked how much is it if I pay in cash. he said $900.  OK I'm good with that. One call has it marked, just waiting for him to fit me in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't use galvanized pipe for gas lines. Use black iron.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poppycock, galvanized is all we use and we got away from black pipe 20 years ago.

[gas lead lineman, A service [meter to house, all house piping + HVAC and white good repair] for several decades at a utility company.

The only reason people still install black pipe is because it's cheaper and you get a higher profit margin.

We still use black pipe on the larger stuff and the welded stands but it MUST be painted.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Believe it or not we are not allowed to use galivinized pipe in Ohio, it will fail inspection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poppycock, galvanized is all we use and we got away from black pipe 20 years ago.

[gas lead lineman, A service [meter to house, all house piping + HVAC and white good repair] for several decades at a utility company.

The only reason people still install black pipe is because it's cheaper and you get a higher profit margin.

We still use black pipe on the larger stuff and the welded stands but it MUST be painted.
Believe it or not we are not allowed to use galivinized pipe in Ohio, it will fail inspection.
Perfectly fine in Michigan.

I know people say that the galvanizing flakes off but after blowing out old gas lines inside and out for decades, the shit black pipe can have in it can't be any better. Personally, I don't see flaking, I see metal shavings from people cutting threads and not cleaning the swarf out before putting it together.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Anode
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Older pipe dope can trip the sniffer
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
there is a little shed right at the wellhead.  I suppose it gets done there, because it smells like regular big company gas.   the BTU content of this gas is higher than normal too, because it never gets separated like a traditional gas separation plant would do for mass distribution where they pull out the methane, butane and other marketable by-products. There is a small water separation tower right next to the well and I've seen the workers blowing drips as they call it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the usable gas is methane.

They pull out Helium and other gasses.

Sulfur and water are two common contaminants.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, thanks for the clarification.
It was explained to me by several HVAC people over the years that this gas is different in BTU content than the gas that has been scrubbed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It was explained to me by several HVAC people over the years that this gas is different in BTU content than the gas that has been scrubbed.
View Quote
Its OK, your still good people.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive been told that.  thanks bro.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ethane C2H6 is removed since it has slightly less heat content and is more valuable as feed stock for plastic manufacture.

All you need to do is remove two hydrogen atoms to make ethylene [C2H4] without breaking the carbon bond.

An important plastic feed stock with double bonded carbon atoms for making Polyethylene (C2H4)n with huge chains of carbon atoms.
One of the most used plastics.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ethane C2H6 is removed since it has slightly less heat content and is more valuable as feed stock for plastic manufacture.

All you need to do is remove two hydrogen atoms to make ethylene [C2H4] without breaking the carbon bond.

An important plastic feed stock with double bonded carbon atoms for making Polyethylene (C2H4)n with huge chains of carbon atoms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are building a new cracker plant here... perhaps you should work there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Just tell the choof OP. You did knot call before you dig.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just tell the choof OP. You did knot call before you dig.
View Quote
I didn't call jack.

the dude called... its all marked out and I haven't seen him since.  If I cut the grass one more time, its gonna be gone and so is my contractor.  I aint got no problem firing a bullshitter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I retired from EE on disability a few years ago.

I have had MS for 29 years and am 57 now.
made it about 26 years before I had to retire.

I have consulted with a number of companies and their Chemical Engineers on instrumentation for petrochemical plants.

Industry has caught up pretty well with standards for various measurements.

Ten years ago some of it was primitive for specialized instruments.

HP developed a whole lot of absolute pressure measuring sensors.
Omega did some great work on temperature measurement using thermocouples and even some resistive sensors.

Just about every large pant still winds up with at least some custom equipment though.

Someone has to design and build the 'one offs.'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top