Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 10:31:27 AM EDT
Built a 20x20 deck 2 years ago and the wife in her infinite genius decided to use a Olympic brand semi transparent doo doo brown stain on it with 80f temps during the day while I was on a business trip.. Yeah I think the same company made the shitty Olympic arms ar's as the product sucks like it was designed by the Tijuana donkey show star.

Well after a year of pa winter it looked like complete crap so I lightly pressure washed it and it  knocked alot of the color off. So I  then used jomax stripper at the tune of 4 gallons and my pressure washer and got about 95% off. Finally it's ready to sand with #60 grit!

Here is my question.

Should I sand with #60 then use a deck restorer or should I just sand, rinse a few times and call it a day? I play to let it sit for a week after sanding to gas out any chemicals from the stripper before using a sealer "washing off a few times in between" but not sure if the restorer is needed since sanding may do the same thing.

ETA:

Another question, if the tompsons sealer any good now? I seem to remember they changed the formula and it had mixed reviews? If it's crap what do you recommend that can be bought somewhat local or off Amazon/ ordered elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the Thompsons about a month ago
I'm very happy with the results, I hope it lasts as the reviews are very mixed

I think alot of your success is based on your prep work? 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used the Thompsons about a month ago
I'm very happy with the results, I hope it lasts as the reviews are very mixed

I think alot of your success is based on your prep work? 
View Quote
Was yours the clear or stain version?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I used the Rustoleum brand three years ago.  Deck surface is 1X6's. I followed directions to a T.  Cracks came back where I used their caulk after one year.  Heavy traffic areas are coming up now.  Not sure if I'm going to reapply or just go with ripping up all the deck boards and installing the plastic fake wood.  
I've been happy with it, but I don't feel it lasts as long as they claim it does.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the Olympic brand toner on my decks and it has been great. I've heard good things about Cabot sealer. Don't use Thompson's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used the Rustoleum brand three years ago.  Deck surface is 1X6's. I followed directions to a T.  Cracks came back where I used their caulk after one year.  Heavy traffic areas are coming up now.  Not sure if I'm going to reapply or just go with ripping up all the deck boards and installing the plastic fake wood.  
I've been happy with it, but I don't feel it lasts as long as they claim it does.
View Quote
I have the exact experience - took old finish down to bare wood - I feel like I should have just left it bare - it doesn't hold up like they claim.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone tried the Behr restoration they advertise? Looks like some of the coatings you see on a pool deck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Strange, I've seen and had more luck with Olympic products, then I've ever had or seen from Thompsons.
View Quote
Me too actually in the past with the clear stuff.

Unless it was a chemical reaction to the newer treated wood or something wrong with the batch, Olympic is not saying a word about it.

Deck is solid 2x6 and 2x8 on top, newer treated type wood. Sides actually looked decent still and they are 5/4 deck boards. Guess I will try something new, deck is now sanded smooth and am letting it has out in case of future issues with chemical used to strip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top