Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 9:34:03 AM EDT
Just got my 30x50 shop put up..  Once I get it wired up, then finished out on the inside, I'll be looking at a nice compressor set up with Maxline distribution.  I'm still a good 6 months out before I pull the trigger, but I've started my research and my eyes have crossed, acid reflux flared up and an occasional chest pains have began after seeing prices!  I've ran off of pancake compressors all my life, and I'm done with the noisy bastards.

I've been surfing Garage Journal and Aircompressorsdirect to get a feel..  My holy grail compressor has always been a Quincy, but I'm not so sure now.

Required specs:
2 stage
5hp
60 gallon minimum
$1500 budget.
*Made In USA

I've been eyeballing the Quincy QT Pro 5hp, which falls well within the budget, and leaves some cash for the Maxair line.  However, I've read that this model is damn near as loud as a pancake.  I don't foresee using a blasting cabinet, but would like to have the ability and volume down the road.

Help a broke dick, half deaf weekend warrior with any hints, tips or suggestions I should be looking at.  Thanks!

* Edited for American Made!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If noise is a bog factor. Build a little shed outside the building and put the compressor in the shed.

I would also suggest a drier of some sort at least a blow down drain
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on your requirements, I think the Quincy is the only choice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Used industrial compressor off CL or an auction site, borescope, and rebuild kit?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
quincy 310 is what you seek. look for an older one, they're easily rebuilt and properly maintained, should last for a long time. they're very quiet, or at least mine is. you can hold a normal conversation standing next to it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Quincy 60 gallon. 175 psi.

It was around $1200 on sale at Rural King.

It isn't super loud but it isn't quiet neither. Seems like most of it is USA made, even the motor

Quincy $1299

Buy once cry once. This baby puts out all the air I would ever need. I run a blasting cabinet off it also, never runs out of air.

I just saw at air compressor direct it comes with the free mx kit and extended warranty, would buy that right now, OP.

Also see they redesigned the tank drain, pressure switch and outlet placement , which if i had to complain and these are very small complaints, those improvements are super nice to have.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]
What's your budget for the compressor?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your budget for the compressor?
View Quote
It's in the first post. $1500
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Quincy 60 gallon. 175 psi.

It was around $1200 on sale at Rural King.

It isn't super loud but it isn't quiet neither. Seems like most of it is USA made, even the motor

Quincy $1299

Buy once cry once. This baby puts out all the air I would ever need. I run a blasting cabinet off it also, never runs out of air.

I just saw at air compressor direct it comes with the free mx kit and extended warranty, would buy that right now, OP.

Also see they redesigned the tank drain, pressure switch and outlet placement , which if i had to complain and these are very small complaints, those improvements are super nice to have.
View Quote
The opposed v twin pump is a 3600 rpm pump. It will sound like a pancake oilless. LOUD. You need the quincy with 1750 rpm pump, (2 stage verticel side by side). Problem is, its several hund more.

Like mine...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The opposed v twin pump is a 3600 rpm pump. It will sound like a pancake oilless. LOUD. You need the quincy with 1750 rpm pump, (2 stage verticel side by side). Problem is, its several hund more.

Like mine... http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/chrisp929/B4A35365-8A4A-47FE-AEFD-D9C1CE8D9009_zpsekrovimv.jpg
View Quote
I've got the same compressor. Works great. I put a muffler on the air intake and it really quieted it down.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Like mine... http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/chrisp929/B4A35365-8A4A-47FE-AEFD-D9C1CE8D9009_zpsekrovimv.jpg
View Quote
which model is this one?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my Champion 80gallon with 7.5HP (1750RPM) and after cooler, but it was more than your budget allows by a pretty good amount.  Champion is a super nice compressor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
which model is this one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which model is this one?
Mines a qt-7.5 which had a 10hp 3 phase baldor motor which i sold and replaced with a 5hp single phase baldor motor and slightly smaller pulley to ensure motor life. Its still has the qt-7.5 pump. The qt-5 pump is IDENTICAL to the qt-7.5 except a smaller cylinder bore.

Here is what you want. It's the qt-5. 100% American made. Cuz 'Murica.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Quincy-251CP80VCB-Air-Compressor/p856.html
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Since you're going to run a distribution system have you considered putting the compressor outside or in a "closet/cabinet" in the garage to help with the noise?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mines a qt-7.5 which had a 10hp 3 phase baldor motor which i sold and replaced with a 5hp single phase baldor motor and slightly smaller pulley to ensure motor life. Its still has the qt-7.5 pump. The qt-5 pump is IDENTICAL to the qt-7.5 except a smaller cylinder bore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which model is this one?

3-phase converters VFDs are now easy to find and not all that expensive even for larger motors.

Feed them 240 single phase and you can generate a decent 3-phase output easily.

The VFD part is not required reducing hook ups and controls required.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
3-phase converters VFDs are now easy to find and not all that expensive even for larger motors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which model is this one?

Go ahead and price a vfd to handle 10 hp at 3 phase 'properly' and get back to me. It's still common in industry to do exactly what i did. It cost me $350 for the new baldor motor and $20 for pulley.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since you're going to run a distribution system have you considered putting the compressor outside or in a "closet/cabinet" in the garage to help with the noise?
View Quote
Yes, this is an option as well, but not one that I really want to do..

I'll have this beast screamin' from time to time too..  A Bauer Legacy 13, 4 stage compressor that fills a cascade of 6-480CF 6,000psi bottles.  It's one of those "turn on and go do something else for an hour or so" compressors!

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup you need a shed 
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#18]
You could build a small closet in the shop and noise proof it.  I have used Ingersol Rand for quite some time and they seem to work well for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#19]
No matter what your getting, plan on building a small room around it or outside to cut the noise.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#20]
OP,,,Just get any small compressor and buy an older larger non-working compressor tank and use the tank as a surge suppressor. Works very well for me in my shop. I a 3.5 hp compressor feeding an 80 gallon tank and use the piss out of it. I run all kinds of stuff off my set-up including spray guns, grinders, air hammers and much much more. I have MAYBE $600 in the deal. IF my compressor dies I`ll just buy another one and keep on trucking.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
How much did you budget for the installation?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Go ahead and price a vfd to handle 10 hp at 3 phase 'properly' and get back to me. It's still common in industry to do exactly what i did. It cost me $350 for the new baldor motor and $20 for pulley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which model is this one?

I see 10 HP rated VFDs for less than $300.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I see 10 HP rated VFDs for less than $300.
View Quote
I'm going to call that bluff.... show us links!

FWIW, when outfitting an air-compressor with a VFD you need a VFD rated at twice the motor HP to properly start it against the load of the compressor. Furthermore, you won't find a VFD rated for 1ph input above the 5 hp range, they're all rated for 3 ph input 3 ph output. If it's not rated for 1-ph input you need to properly de-rate for single phase input (50-60% derate). IE, to run a 10 hp 3ph compressor motor you need a 40-hp 3-ph input VFD (when feeding with 1 ph input). Otherwise you'll smoke your DC bus & capacitors on startup.

And you can't get that for $300
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top