Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 3:48:21 PM EDT
Been in my new house for about 6 months and wife has been complaining about the loose kitchen drawers. I ordered a set of Blum BLUMOTION Tandem Full Extension 21" 563F (Amazon link) to do a test installation. If I can get them to work, I will order a bunch in bulk off of eBay.

It looks like these drawer slides will work if I can open up the drawer face opening by about 1/4" (in height). Is there a tool out there that can cut this into the existing opening on the installed cabinetry? I don't mind buying new tools/specialty parts if it means being able cut these openings in a manner that will look professional.

Here are pics of my existing cabinetry:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pic showing area (in red) that needs to be removed:
Attachment Attached File

I was thinking perhaps a router but mine is a Dewalt DW618PKB and its size would interfere with the countertop. Should I just get a contractor to do this?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A small compact saw would do that easily.

I think dremel makes one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Jig saw probably do it. Might even be able to ride the shoe on the counter top for a nice straight cut.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I would use a jig saw and notch thr bottem of thr face frame on each side of the drawer.  The other thing is use a quality jig saw the cheap ones bounce around a lot and dick stuff up a good one will be smooth and easy to control.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Skilsaw, jigsaw, finish, paint, done.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all... I don't own a jigsaw. I have a bunch of Dewalt 20V Max/XR tools so is this good to go?

Dewalt DCS331B

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, is there any add-on (guide type thing) that would ensure the jig saw cuts a precise straight line? If I mess this up, it means having to buy all new cabinets.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, is there any add-on (guide type thing) that would ensure the jig saw cuts a precise straight line? If I mess this up, it means having to buy all new cabinets.
View Quote
Make your own edge guide, like for a track saw.

Get a strip of 1/4" plywood about 4 or 5 inches wide and about 6 or 8 inches longer than the longest drawer.  Add a short fence to the plywood, maybe 3/4" in height. Glue, screw or nail the fence to one edge of the plywood.

Now, make your first cut with your jigsaw (using the same blade you'll use) and rip the plywood with the saw riding the fence.

You now have an edge guide that will perfectly position your cut. Clamp it in place and go to town.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a video of one type for a circular saw.

How to Make a Circular Saw Guide | This Old House
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Trim router and a straightedge, four whacks with a chisel to square up the corners.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Less than $100

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's a video of one type for a circular saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeIZdrbz-Y
View Quote
Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I searched YouTube but I couldn't find anything specifically referencing the job I'm trying to do. 

Is there a specialty jigsaw blade that I should pick up or is the one included with the Dewalt good enough? 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The one that comes with it should be good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the jigsaw, blades and 1/4" plywood for making the guide. I'll get started after I take the fam to dinner. 

Wish me luck. If I mess this up it looks like the wife will be getting a complete kitchen remodel. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Off to dinner...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the help guys! The makeshift guide worked perfectly. Wife is happy and I got a new tool!

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Excellent!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice.  

How did you manage to skip the stress-&-wring your-hands-for-two-months step?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice.  

How did you manage to skip the stress-&-wring your-hands-for-two-months step?  
View Quote
What do you think I've been doing for the past two months? 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I ordered a set of Blum BLUMOTION Tandem Full Extension 21" 563F (Amazon link) to do a test installation.
View Quote

Holy Cow those things are expensive!!!!!

There has to be a cheaper source of them... did you check with some local cabinet shops to see what they're using?

FWIW, my brother had all his vanitys (2 regular, 1 double), closet/pantry/bath cabinetry, and kitchen cabinets (very large kitchen) made by a local shop; EVERY door has hidden soft-close hinges & every drawer has full-extension soft-close slides on it. Total cost for everything including install was $5500. I just took a mental tally of approximate drawers and doors and it's over 50, half of those are drawers. At $50/pair that would cost the cabinet guy $1250 just in slides... there has to be a cheaper source.

ETA, that price includes making the custom cabinets, not just retrofitting onto existing cabinetry.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There has to be a cheaper source of them... did you check with some local cabinet shops to see what they're using?

FWIW, my brother had all his vanitys (2 regular, 1 double), closet/pantry/bath cabinetry, and kitchen cabinets (very large kitchen) made by a local shop; EVERY door has hidden soft-close hinges & every drawer has full-extension soft-close slides on it. Total cost for everything including install was $5500. I just took a mental tally of approximate drawers and doors and it's over 50, half of those are drawers. At $50/pair that would cost the cabinet guy $1250 just in slides... there has to be a cheaper source.

ETA, that price includes making the custom cabinets, not just retrofitting onto existing cabinetry.
View Quote
I pay around $21/set through my distributor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Trim router and a straightedge, four whacks with a chisel to square up the corners.
View Quote
And a flush cutting router bit with a top mounted bearing.
Would need to fit a 1/4" collet for most trim routers.

You could screw or glue on some stop blocks so you don't go too far to either side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I purchased the first one at the Amazon price to test it out. I then ordered them in bulk from ebay for about $30 each (shipped).
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hardware can eat a budget up quick.
View Quote
You're telling me...  I personally replaced every single door hinge, door knob, outlet, light switch and light fixture in our new house when we first moved in. It's a 3 story mid/high end ~5000 sq ft traditional that was "decked out" (for the 1980s). Everything was gold and had paint overruns from the 2-3 interior refreshes that it went through over the years.

I could easily add up receipts to figure out the cost of parts/materials... But I'm kind of scared to.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I would do.  

I would take 1/8" off the top and 1/8" off the bottom (if possible).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Btw... I was so excited about the success I had with the kitchen drawer, I decided to tackle the back deck stairs. This was my first "real" wood project. I purchased a Dewalt DWS780 and watched a bunch of YouTube before starting last weekend.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I purchased a Dewalt DWS780...
View Quote
Hooked!  

Now, here's something really important:

As your SO starts appreciating what you can accomplish around the house with your newfound woodworking talent (and you do appear to haz it), don't forget that every project requires a new tool.  Buying that miter saw to do the stair runners was outstanding... you could have done it with a $25 garage sale circular saw, but that's not important... finding an expensive (but useful) tool that can still manage the job is critical.   This is how a shop is populated.

"Honey, could you tighten up that loose handle on the kitchen cabinet?"
"Why yes, dear, but first I'll have to run to Lowe's for a cordless drill/driver."

"Darling, could you nail down that piece of floppy baseboard in the kids' bedroom?"
"But of course!  All I'll need is a compressor, a finish nail gun, and a 100 ft. 12 gauge extension cord."

"Sweetie, there's a branch dangling from the rosebush outside, could you cut that off?"
"Certainly, my love! In fact, Stihl has just the chainsaw I'll need on sale at this very moment!"

Comprende?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top