Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 3:04:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to buy a small aluminum boat to put around on a few years ago. "Buddy" of mine talked me a ski boat he had. Bought it, dumped cash into it (interior, bimini, new seats, carpet, glass, new subfloor, etc.) and find out it doesn't fucking run. My own fault for not checking out the motor in depth but it started fine the day I went to look at it.
TLDR, I need a new boat.
Thread hijack level: expert. Apologies OP, that just brought some shit up I haven't thought about in a while.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/DIY-Gelcoat-Repairs
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Used boat is always a good investment. I see plenty of $$ changing hands in your future.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Cowboy fiber glasser here. Few hundred square feet of structural  glass work. All on one boat.

Colloidal sand or wood flour. Not saw dust, wood flour. Must come from a sander, not a saw blade. Duck works sells small amounts.

Mix this with epoxy resin as a thickening agent and fill the holes. I would sand before applying the paste and gel coat after. The gel coat usually has a Surface hardener added to promote proper curing.

The cracks could indicate the boat was in a collision. I know of a famous person that had a boat hit and had cracks on the opposite side of the collision(12 ft wide boat). Insurance paid for a complete rebuild of the boat. An inspection may be worth the trouble. Fiber glass is strong and brittle in the wrong directions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
B ust
O ut
A nother
T housand
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#6]
West System Epoxy. Use their additives. buy their book for $5 at West Marine and check youtube for videos. West System and West Marine are not connected. Buy with confidence.

https://youtu.be/kHuztg446Qs

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Epoxy%20Resin&category=589&refine=1&page=GRID

Jamestown Distributors are great to deal with. I use a lot of their own brand products. Epoxy, paint, primer, fairing compound, varnish, it's all excellent stuff with great CS.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Kickass little CC.

Boats are funny.  I've on $1,000 pontoons and $1,000,000 MTI cats and they're all fun.

Surr, someone will comment about a boat owner's two best days blah blah blah.  But he's a boat owner.  A died in the wool boater doesn't care.

And where else can you get away with driving around drunk and naked after dark with no lights?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the best day of your life....

Until you sale the boat, then that will be the best day of your life.

Boat owner here,, actually 3 boats
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
B ust
O ut
A nother
T housand
View Quote
Yep. Not even 2 hours on mine and I am busting out about 1500. FML. It looks and runs great...it just won't start anymore.
Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kickass little CC.

Boats are funny.  I've on $1,000 pontoons and $1,000,000 MTI cats and they're all fun.

Surr, someone will comment about a boat owner's two best days blah blah blah.  But he's a boat owner.  A died in the wool boater doesn't care.

And where else can you get away with driving around drunk and naked after dark with no lights?  
View Quote
In the desert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top