Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2017 9:00:47 AM EDT
I'm remodeling my house and have decided to lay a floating vinyl plank floor.

I've begun removing the existing linoleum or vinyl tile floor, which is composed of square tiles that are glued onto the plywood subfloor.

The old flooring is not difficult to remove but the leftover floor glue is tacky and has not dried, even after a week under a fan.

How should I remove this leftover glue? Which product do you recommend or should I avoid?

Have any of y'all had success using a primer type paint to cover and seal tacky glue?

Thanks for your advice!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The foam will stick to the glue, but the floor will still be floating on the foam. You should be good to go just laying the new floor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The foam will stick to the glue, but the floor will still be floating on the foam. You should be good to go just laying the new floor.
View Quote
Thanks!

You mean the foam underlayment?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks!

You mean the foam underlayment?
View Quote
Worked for me. I scraped up all debris and knocked down bumps.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is exactly wha I would do.  Spring for the better underlayment that's either made from recycled rubber, quiet step, etc if you can afford it as it does make a big difference in sound,

If you want to take up the glue beanee doo works well but not needed in your situation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thin underlayment.

Like 1/8 inch for minimum stack up.

I would be tempted to get a roll of fir veneer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Disclaimer:  I am NOT a SME

We had a similar situation in our kitchen and I just covered it with the red-ish colored "paper" made for the purpose.  It covers the old adhesive and allows a full float.  So far so good (about a year).
View Quote
Modern version of Rosin paper.

It was used as a hardwood underlayment for many many years.  Tar paper was occasionally used and eventually the smell usually dissipated.

I was thinking about this last night as I fell asleep and though this would be about the lowest cost method to separate a new layer from the old.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely use an underlayment, the remaining residue will stick to the underside of the new flooring ---- not permanently, but just enough to make a weird noise as you walk on the floor.

Super annoying.

Ask me how I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top