Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 6:41:39 PM EDT
I need a couple of lock sets. The local HD has Schlage and Quikset. I need a knob and deadbolt for a couple doors and another set with a handle and dummy knob with a deadbolt included.  I guess my question are the sets sold by HD and Blowes adequate.  I want nice hardware but I do not want to break the bank.  These are not going on a mansion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I did commercial door work for more than a few years so take that for what it is.

Out of all the big box stuff on a residential house, I prefer the Kwikset smartkey line. You can key every lock to the same key or even to your current key you had before replacing the locks.

Many really cool features built into a very good value lock/deadbolt or passage handle. Bump key proof, pick resistant and lifetime warranty.

Rekey is super easy without opening up the cylinder.

The deadbolts made by Schlage with the little plugs that cover the thru bolts are horrible and I would avoid them!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Schlage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of all the big box stuff on a residential house, I prefer the Kwikset smartkey line. You can key every lock to the same key or even to your current key you had before replacing the locks.

Many really cool features built into a very good value lock/deadbolt or passage handle. Bump key proof, pick resistant and lifetime warranty.
View Quote
I think I would pass...

How to Open a Kwikset Smart Key Lock in 10 seconds | Mr. Locksmith™
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Schlage.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think I would pass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8
View Quote
I believe that has been corrected since then.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a schlage deadbolt survive 3 kick-ins without damage. They get my vote.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the user re-keyable schlage locks.  Replace all of the hardware that goes into the frame with screws that will reach into the actual framework in the wall.

Nice locks are good, but it's almost always easier to beat the carpenter than the lock manufacturer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top