Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2017 3:43:39 PM EDT
There's a great way to spend a lot of money.

It's a 2.5 ton 16 SEER Lennox Merit system along with a new furnace. Current Carrier equipment is 12 years old and shit the bed.

What I'd really like to know is what's the most ideal air filter to get? I've heard the higher MERV ratings can strain the system. There's nothing solid on that I can find.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The only way to know is to first measure the total static pressure of the duct system first, filters will have a rating so combine the two to see if it will work based on the systems capabilities. If they know what they are doing and the furnace fan still operates they can tell beforehand. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only way to know is to first measure the total static pressure of the duct system first, filters will have a rating so combine the two to see if it will work based on the systems capabilities. If they know what they are doing and the furnace fan still operates they can tell beforehand. 
View Quote
But generally speaking are the higher MERV filters tough on a system?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. They do a great job but if static is too high for whatever reason you will have trouble. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Do NOT use high MERV 1" filters.  If you want good filtration, get a 5" media air cleaner installed by the company doing your system.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't mind sharing, how much?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes. They do a great job but if static is too high for whatever reason you will have trouble. 
View Quote
Roger that. Heard this but wasn't sure if internet bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do NOT use high MERV 1" filters.  If you want good filtration, get a 5" media air cleaner installed by the company doing your system.
View Quote
I've got the basic pleated that's MERV 5. I'm sort of thinking this will be okay?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you don't mind sharing, how much?
View Quote
$4,677.00
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If the filter is big enough to begin with a higher MERV rating shouldn't matter.  The proper place for the filter is just before the equipment.  My recommendation is to opt for a Honeywell F100 filter cabinet as a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Username seems prescient...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
If return is sized properly running high Merv filters won't matter. I run Merv 8 in my unit.

In my last house the filter return was sized too small and wanted to nearly suck the filter through the grill. I just added a 2nd filter the same size above it. The result was more airflow and a much quieter unit when it ran. I calculated I was 60% short of filter area for my size of unit.

That was an easy fix for my issue, but if they actually sized your return too small then you'd need to run larger ductwork and have a larger filter area.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Cheapest pleated filter you can find.

If I was installing a system right now I would have the contractor install a 4" filter rack instead of the standard 1". That way I could use commodity filters from the local commercial filter warehouse and only replace the filter a couple times a year(due to deeper pleats). You can get the deeper pleated filters that fit in your standard residential 1" frame as well btw.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cheapest pleated filter you can find.

If I was installing a system right now I would have the contractor install a 4" filter rack instead of the standard 1". That way I could use commodity filters from the local commercial filter warehouse and only replace the filter a couple times a year(due to deeper pleats). You can get the deeper pleated filters that fit in your standard residential 1" frame as well btw.
View Quote
None of the HVAC guys like pleated filters.  I had the cheapo type mesh and they were happy to install it in my new system.  Said it was better.  That has been my experience throughout years of use.  Change it every month or two.  Restrictive filters are bad. 

2.5 ton in SC?  OP must live in a shed. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got the basic pleated that's MERV 5. I'm sort of thinking this will be okay?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possibly.  The easiest way to tell is when the company doing your installation has their service tech come out to commission the system make sure they check the static pressure in your duct work.  They can then compare that to the measured CFM's to make sure you are getting the proper amount of airflow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the filter is big enough to begin with a higher MERV rating shouldn't matter.  The proper place for the filter is just before the equipment.  My recommendation is to opt for a Honeywell F100 filter cabinet as a minimum.
View Quote
I'm a HUGE Honeywell guy.  Have been for almost 20 years now.

If you have the room, get the Aprilaire 1510.  It has the lowest pressure drop of any media air cleaner.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been using high merv filters for years but I design around a low static and install mostly variable drive air handlers, all my systems are quiet and clean. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

$4,677.00
View Quote
Cheaper than I would of guessed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
None of the HVAC guys like pleated filters.  I had the cheapo type mesh and they were happy to install it in my new system.  Said it was better.  That has been my experience throughout years of use.  Change it every month or two.  Restrictive filters are bad. 

View Quote
Yes we live in a shed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Possibly.  The easiest way to tell is when the company doing your installation has their service tech come out to commission the system make sure they check the static pressure in your duct work.  They can then compare that to the measured CFM's to make sure you are getting the proper amount of airflow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're a gentleman and a scholar. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$4,677.00
That's after a $200 rebate from the power company.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$4,677.00
That's still pretty cheap. It was about $8k for my Lennox 19 SEER 2.5 ton and 98% furnace
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's still pretty cheap. It was about $8k for my Lennox 19 SEER 2.5 ton and 98% furnace
View Quote
Huge price differences once you start going up in seer. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Personally I don't think the cost difference is justified once you go over 16 SEER.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$4,677.00
I got one quote that was close to $8K. Like with all things you have to shop around.

Edit that price for your system isn't apples to apples due to the SEER so it illustrates the terrible deal one vendor was trying to push me. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Personally I don't think the cost difference is justified once you go over 16 SEER.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well when partial loading coupled high humidity and homes that are shuttered up for the summer the higher seer units really shine
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got one quote that was close to $8K. Like with all things you have to shop around.

Edit that price for your system isn't apples to apples due to the SEER so it illustrates the terrible deal one vendor was trying to push me. 
View Quote
When I was shopping for a system, I got multiple quotes. Same exact system and I saw prices more than $5000 apart.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
well when partial loading coupled high humidity and homes that are shuttered up for the summer the higher seer units really shine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they do
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong. HVAC guys who like the cheapo mesh filters like coming back to replace your motor and clean your coil when it gets clogged. For your standard system, the cheapest 1" pleats are the best option with typical return sizes. They also prescribe the cheapo mesh because most homeowners are stupid about HVAC maintenance and the mesh takes much longer to clog than any pleat.

If your system was engineered correctly, you can use higher MERV filters, like coldair mentions. That depends on your return filter size, which can be helped with a deeper pleated filter as I mentioned in my post. The deeper pleats give you more filter area, which effectively gives you a "larger return"/lower static pressure drop. Ideally you have a lower velocity across your return, which means efficient filtering, fan motor that runs cooler, and less noise.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#29]
There's a 20 x 25 x 1 return upstairs and a 10 x 24 x 1 return downstairs. 
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#30]
At first blush, that looks like enough return grille, BUT what size and how long is the actual ductwork that connects those grilles to the furnace?

I've seen lots of houses where the grilles are sized correctly, but then the duct is inside a wall cavity instead of a properly sized chase.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
At first blush, that looks like enough return grille, BUT what size and how long is the actual ductwork that connects those grilles to the furnace?

I've seen lots of houses where the grilles are sized correctly, but then the duct is inside a wall cavity instead of a properly sized chase.
View Quote
Great question!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Everything is in and the follow-up QC check was today. 

Like going from a Yugo to Honda.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Update:

The new system is so much more efficient than the old one. It runs for about 5 minutes and the zone is cooled vs. the old system that would run sometimes for as long as an hour or more.

I installed Flanders EZ flow filters. They will be switched out monthly and the HVAC folks will be out twice a year to check and clean the system ($150 annual fee).
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update:

The new system is so much more efficient than the old one. It runs for about 5 minutes and the zone is cooled vs. the old system that would run sometimes for as long as an hour or more.

I installed Flanders EZ flow filters. They will be switched out monthly and the HVAC folks will be out twice a year to check and clean the system ($150 annual fee).
View Quote
Hate to bear bad news but that might be a problem.  If an AC system only runs for short periods and shuts off, that's a possible sign of oversizing.  Oversizing will cause the unit to run for short periods of time and then shut down.  Running for short periods of time doesn't enable the system to remove humidity.  I'd prefer to see the system run for more than 10 minutes at a time.  

I'd get a humidistat and monitor your humidity levels.  

Part of the issue could be it's not too hot yet so as it gets hotter, your run times should increase.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hate to bear bad news but that might be a problem.  If an AC system only runs for short periods and shuts off, that's a possible sign of oversizing.  Oversizing will cause the unit to run for short periods of time and then shut down.  Running for short periods of time doesn't enable the system to remove humidity.  I'd prefer to see the system run for more than 10 minutes at a time.  

Part of the issue could be it's not too hot yet so as it gets hotter, your run times should increase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

This

Modern equipment is designed for longer run times to dehumidify better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Which is why I love installing the variable drive units, the slow down to match the load on the system a two ton system can slow all the way down to half a ton. This means great dehumidification many of my customers say they they have raised the temperature to 78 and are freezing with their humidity in the low 40s
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Which is why I love installing the variable drive units, the slow down to match the load on the system a two ton system can slow all the way down to half a ton. This means great dehumidification many of my customers say they they have raised the temperature to 78 and are freezing with their humidity in the low 40s
View Quote
Just waiting for my current POS to die and then I'm upgrading to one of these.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
What brands do you like?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

Not real hot yet. I just went and learned about short cycling so will keep my eyes peeled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top