Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 11:30:41 AM EDT
I've been finding these bugs in the house for a couple weeks now, and I finally figured out last night where they came from.  I'm no bug/insect expert by any means, but I believe these are regular garden centipedes.  

I had bought my girlfriend a Snake plant for the house in February and apparently they were in the soil.  I found dozens of them crawling on it last night, including many babies.  I'm sure there's hundreds of them in there.  Most of the ones I'm finding have been dead - probably 3:1.  And they've all been within a 15-ft radius of the plant.  The plant is now sitting outside on the back porch.

Questions:

1)  What exactly is this bug?  Am I correct in identifying it as a garden centipede?

2)  Should I bother with calling an exterminator, or can I count on them to quickly and naturally die off in my house?

3)  Who would win in a fight between a centipede and a carpenter ant?  I have lots of ants on the property and wouldn't mind thinning them out by introducing a new species.  :D  J/K

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks more like millipede to me?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
South African Ear Burrower.  They come out at night to lay their eggs.  

Stay safe, OP.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Diatamacius earth.

Or something to that spelling.

Sprinkel it around and all them bugs die from the stuff. It is pet safe.
It is made from deceased plankton or something that has the shells broken down into small particles that peirce the shell and joints of bugs. They decimate small bugs nicely due to it desiccating the critters.
Also works with indoor plantings and you can eat it along with your pets and no harm coms to you or it. Get a bag of is and spread liberally all over where you have an issue.

Its like spreading around chalk dust.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Be careful not to inhale any dust from the diatomaceous earth, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top