Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 9:48:21 PM EDT
Ok, so I would like to build a lean-to/carport. All the common plans I see online attach to a wall of an adjacent structure.

Here's my house
Attachment Attached File

The blue box is roughly where I would like covered. My garage is in the top left and you can see the driveway exits to the west. I don't think I have enough wall space below the eaves to attach a ledger. I'm also concerned about which direction to slope the roof.

What do y'all think is the best way of building a carport in that area?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO With those roof lines a lean to attached car port won't look right. 

I would consider using a pergola type structure.  You can disguise a single slope roofed carport with that type is design too if you don't have a heavy snow load in your area. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd need a couple elevation pics to really make any recommendations.

Here is my personally designed and self built carport/outdoor space.........................

Started with a Mueller 24x24 carport, and redesigned it from there. Ran me about $2200 in metal, including trim kit and gutters. My labor cost nothing.

And a back view with the trim and down spouts installed..................................

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#4]
More MSPaint!

Approximate measurements:
Ground to eave - 9'
Top of garage door to eave - 1'

Attachment Attached File

I'm really trying to avoid having posts in the concrete driveway area.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Primarly shade or full rain/hail protection?

The height really limits you if the new roof needs slope.

I'd really think about a regular 24x24 Mueller carport. The posts won't bother you and by running the slope away from the house you'll keep a bunch of water away from the house.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primarly shade or full rain/hail protection?

The height really limits you if the new roof needs slope.

I'd really think about a regular 24x24 Mueller carport. The posts won't bother you and by running the slope away from the house you'll keep a bunch of water away from the house.
View Quote
Primarily hail protection. Doesn't need a whole lot of slope. Snow isn't a problem here in TX.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#7]
You may want to look into a cantilever carport.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Considered doing a single pitch roof that lands on top of your existing roof? low slope across the front the garage face, 0 at the "north" outside edge of the garage and where ever 1/12 pitch puts you on the other roof face. Need to tear up some shingles add a sleeper over the roof sheathing, frame the carport, add some flashing at the new "valleys" and roof the carport. Might not be the look youre going for but will give you the head room without being a flat roof, or 7' tall at the house.

Sort of like this, but without going all the way to the ridges.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considered doing a single pitch roof that lands on top of your existing roof? low slope across the front the garage face, 0 at the "north" outside edge of the garage and where ever 1/12 pitch puts you on the other roof face. Need to tear up some shingles add a sleeper over the roof sheathing, frame the carport, add some flashing at the new "valleys" and roof the carport. Might not be the look youre going for but will give you the head room without being a flat roof, or 7' tall at the house.

Sort of like this, but without going all the way to the ridges.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/filedata/fetch?id=1013529
View Quote
One of my neighbors had something similar done. They opened up the roof and tied in about halfway up. It looks great.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
So, if I end up putting in posts to support the carport, would the driveway concrete be strong enough is I anchored directly to it? Or would I need to cut through and set posts into the ground?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, if I end up putting in posts to support the carport, would the driveway concrete be strong enough is I anchored directly to it? Or would I need to cut through and set posts into the ground?
View Quote
Depending on what you build......maybe?

Safe bet is to cut a 12"x12" hole through the slab and pour a deeper pier pad and attach a Simpson mounting bracket to it. Bolt the post to the bracket.

Or drill in and anchor a bracket to your existing slab. Only down side I could see is the weight of the carport cracking the slab if its thin or the dirt underneath has settled leaving a void under the concrete.

Or place new concrete piers just beyond the edge of the slab to avoid cutting the driveway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Best is to cut and set them in the ground in concrete, but it can be done by drilling and epoxy anchors.

Where is Texas are you?

I'm serious about the Mueller carport kit. It will do you nicely.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#13]
North Dallas area.

Because of the way my house is laid out, at least one post would be for sure in the driveway. Southeast corner in the picture.

It would have to be supported by four posts on the corners. I can't have a post in the middle either blocking the garage door or my side door into the house.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
That would work fine.

Mueller Carport kits

Sink three legs in the ground with concrete and then trim and bolt the last leg to the driveway slab. If you tell Mueller at time of purchase they can include a base plate to weld onto that one leg. Use epoxy to set the anchors and you are good to go.

DIY 24x24 Carport Bolt together from Mueller
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top