Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 7:56:21 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience with using spline drive tools on regular 6 point hex head bolts and nuts?

I picked up a complete set of Snap On torque adapters from Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet, and the day after they shipped I realized they were spline instead of hex.  (One said it was hex but when they arrived they are all spline).  The price was killer compared to new retail so I felt like I was in a hurry to order so that I could guarantee a full set, but should have read the description more closely.  Having to cart them one at a time wasn't helping either.

I think the set will be useful for hard-to-reach stuff on my fleet of two jeeps and one mil vehicle, but if the spline drive is only mediocre for hex I might just try to sell them and make some of my money back.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the correct tools for the job.

If you are intending to work on standard hex bolts and nuts - that ain't it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
They work fine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They work fine.
View Quote
Thanks.  The Snap On website says you can use them on hex, I'm just worried they'll strip out.  

I remember craftsman used to have a display of their spline drive tools that let you try them on all different kinds of bolt heads- said they did everything- but the splines on those were a lot deeper than these.  

I guess I'll hang on to them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Low torque large bolt probably fine. Anything else, you're playing with fire imho.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Think of it as an extreme 12 point socket.

Anything really tight can strip corners on the fastener from reduced contact area.

That is why we use 6 point sockets on tight things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes they work on 6 point or 12 point nuts and bolts.
Been using them for 20 years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The tail of a U-2 joint about 10 feet forward of the actual end of the fuselage) is held on by four titanium bolts with spline drives on each.

There is a small spring loaded cover at each bolt on both sides to allow getting a pair wrenches in.

It is a real PITA to remove though because the swing is only about 1/8 of a turn.

After you move the tail back about 6 inches you have to start disconnecting some hydraulic lines and cable harnesses.

The multiple cables for tail control surfaces are disconnected first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top