Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 3:56:16 PM EDT
Wifey and I purchased a house built in 1899 and are remodeling.   Original structure is clearly before indoor plumbing and is "dry".  Probably sometime around the '50's someone added an addition that we just learned is on a wood block foundation sitting directly on the earth (gee - I really love home inspectors).  The addition is "wet" - bath, kitchen, laundry.  Most likely going to rip and replace the entire addition.

I have Chief Architect Pro and have completed design drawings.  I need help from an architect to take my designs and get them to plans that I can take and get permits, contractor bids, etc.

Shouldn't be too big of a job.  Please PM and Thank You.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Many architects will be hesitant to sign of on work done by others, particularly on a remodel where structural issues will be a concern.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I used Chief Architect to design the house I just built as owner builder. What I did was hire a draftsman to put my Chief Architect drawings into a common large scale blueprint. I also had him design the roof since I couldn't really figure that out on Chief architect. The draftsman charged me 1000, architects here generally wanted 8-10k.  The truss company does all the engineering on the roof and floor trusses anyway.  I did hire a structural engineer to design my poured basement walls.  If you're happy with your design I think you should just hire a draftsman. But it really depends on what your building inspection Dept is looking for on the plans. Here in N GA you can turn in a hand drawn plan. All they care about is square footage so they know how much to tax you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, BCO.  You're right, I don't need an architect I need a draftsman.

Amazing what has happened in Colorado so quickly.  Red to blue.  Homeless(TM) and the litter have moved in hard.  Certainly not the same...  Trying to get anyone to do anything is a joke regardless of how much cash you rain on them.  They simply don't care.  If I won't pay, 5 others will.

My last architect made me sign a contract stating that I would provide feedback in 72 hours.  He was 3 weeks late.  YOU"RE FIRED! was what he got.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll send you the contact info via PM for my Chief Architect Guru who helps me when needed.

I started with home designer, then HD pro and finally full blown premier years ago and can't use 90% of it so he helps me when I'm stuck via

webinar or he does some of the work and we just email the file back and forth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top