Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 4:05:04 PM EDT
looking at 10 x 10 or 12 x 12 (being that plywood or OSB is 4'x8', this might make construction easier.

Is it cheaper to buy or build. Time is not a factor, skills are 7 outa 10. The roof is where id have issues.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm here for the answers
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm actually looking at sheds as well.  I was going to build my own, but it would look horrendous...like district 9 horrendous.
Pricewise, the metal sheds seem to be the better value, but require a very level base, which is not my forte.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have built hundreds of sheds.   That said, I bought my last one.

I got a 14x28 shed.  Delivered it was 6800.  I think I figured about 6300 to build with like materials.  That was last fall.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 'used once' 20 foot conex box for $3k, delivered last fall down here near Roanoke.

The floor is beautiful, the paint wasn't scuffed, it's not racked or dented/holed, doesn't leak, and the doors close/lock with finger pressure.

It looks so good I was almost reluctant to actually use it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought.  It was at my previous house, think it was like 8x12.  Window, side door, barn doors, painted to match my house (yellow with white trim).  Think it was like $4500 delivered.  

They delivered it, dropped it where I wanted, and I was putting my shit in it an hour later.  No muss, no fuss.  I like doing things myself - I'll do electrical, plumbing, cement, etc - but some tedious things aren't worth the hassle of doing myself - building a shed, changing the oil in my vehicles, etc.  

I have more money than time, so I pay someone else to do the stuff I don't want to do.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I built mine.  The sheds that I could buy cheaper than what I spent to build were noticeably lower quality.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 20' shipping container,  $1400 delivered. I will never go back to a wooden built shed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
As soon as I can figure out the best spot in the yard I'll be putting one up myself.

http://www.cheapsheds.com/

Lots of reading there.  Scroll down a little and there's a price comparison between the DIY price and the price of pre-builts.

Don't be intimidated by the roof!  I built a shed when I lived in Charleston without any plan whatsoever.  I made it up as I went along and it came out fine.  I used some fence boards (from a fence that blew down during hurricane Hugo) as a sub-floor, which allowed me to put 1/4" board down for the floor.  I got two windows and a door from the second hand store.  Last I checked it was still there, 28 years later.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have time and the skills, build it yourself. You will get better quality for less money.

If you want staples instead of screws, buy it pre-made.

If you don't care what it looks like, buy a shipping container. If you bury it you can be a prepper.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Building it yourself will probably be cheaper, or more than likely, it will cost you about the same but the materials, quality, and possibly craftsmanship will be vastly superior. Also, when you build something yourself there is a sense of pride every time you use it/see it. Also when you build something yourself you 100% control every aspect of it from design to materials. Conversely when you buy something often there are give and takes (e.g. size is right, but too few windows or they are too small, etc.). But building it yourself takes time, a commodity many people lack.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Conex. cheaper resellable.. probably doesn't need a permit
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Connect.. cheaper resellable.. probably doesn't need a permit
View Quote
What ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Auto correct. Conex steal shipping container
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Yea, im starting to look at those..problem is, I live in BFE, CL has some companies, looks like 1500-2000. One of my questions (Ill jus google it) but how wide is the opening to a container ? I need to put my mower in, it has a 52" or bigger mowing deck, dont remember for sure...this is why I want to build one, can make the opening to my liking.

http://www.anchorleasing.com/?q=conex_containers

Based on that, id be ok with jamming mower inside.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yea, im starting to look at those..problem is, I live in BFE, CL has some companies, looks like 1500-2000. One of my questions (Ill jus google it) but how wide is the opening to a container ? I need to put my mower in, it has a 52" or bigger mowing deck, dont remember for sure...this is why I want to build one, can make the opening to my liking.

View Quote
Obviously it costs more - but you can install a pair of doors at the other end, or a pair of doors in the side near the other end...   They are customizable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I am having 2 40 foot conex boxes delivered to the farm next week.  $2000 for both delivered.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am having 2 40 foot conex boxes delivered to the farm next week.  $2000 for both delivered.
View Quote
Who'd ya get em from ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a 'used once' 20 foot conex box for $3k, delivered last fall down here near Roanoke.

The floor is beautiful, the paint wasn't scuffed, it's not racked or dented/holed, doesn't leak, and the doors close/lock with finger pressure.

It looks so good I was almost reluctant to actually use it.
View Quote
This is probably the route I'd take.  They work well.  They are durable.  Don't have to build it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
A 52" mower would fit fine with room to spare. Connex boxes have ~90" +/- a few between the walls.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I built mine.  The sheds that I could buy cheaper than what I spent to build were noticeably lower quality.
View Quote
This is what I am finding. I am planning to build my own.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#21]
If you just need a basic shed, you can build it pretty cheap.  The question is what you want to put into project, more time or more money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
If I had the space, I'd have gotten two 40'ers and left 30 to 40 feet between them. Followed by some rafters and roofing. Instant dry storage and barn.

As mine sits right now, I'll be adding a lean too style roof to each side. Back side will give me a 12' x 20' carport, and house side will be a steel frame supporting a solar cloth pool covering (pool to be done later). I used a farm jack, a shop floor jack and my suburban to shift it around the yard till it was where I wanted and level. Placed on some 2x4 runners it'll slide pretty easy.

Best one I've seen on AR15 was a 20' and in 40' in an "L" configuration with the center part made a double car port. Carport was added with only a single vert pole and the c channel steel and metal decking. Also makes for a great rain collection point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who'd ya get em from ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who'd ya get em from ?
Economy box in Portsmouth.  I only wanted 1, but he made me a better deal for taking 2.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Well a shed you built is going to be of different quality than one you buy. Presumably better quality if you know what you're doing.

I built a 10x16 for my my parents for ~$3k. It's 2x4 framing, 2x6 rafters, 2x10 joists & 3/4" plywood floors, 25year asphalt shingle. Two double doors.

ETA: it might have been 12x16, I can't remember
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Shed building companies have a system down.  They have designed all their sheds to minimize waste, thus maximizing profits.  They have it down almost to a science.  It'll be hard to beat their prices even if you do the labor.  What you can do is build it better for a little more money.

In my area, I can get a 20ft shipping container in decent shape delivered for about $2200.  I can get a one trip 20 ft shipping container (better shape) for about $3000.  They are 8 ft wide.  

I've been thinking of getting one and then building a roof over it with trusses giving me covered storage on each side.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]
You can buy a shed for cheaper......if you build it yourself, it will be more expensive, but will be a better shed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I built mine 11'x12' on slab with a roll up door, smart siding and smart trim. I'm a contractor by trade, so it's easier for me to source material. I poured the slab one Saturday and finished building it by Monday evening, I just had painting left.

Eta: Fuck I forgot to answer the goddamn question. I spent about $2k. Sometimes it's less expensive to build yourself for what you get.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#28]
The kit sheds I've helped assemble for friends have been universally shabby. 2x3 construction instead of 2x4, 24" OC studs instead of 16", 3/8" sheathing instead of 1/2".

Overall, flimsy as heck for the cheap kits.

I'd build my own, it would cost more, but it wouldn't suck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not sure how people are computing the price of a kit higher than the price of buying the lumber and building.  This is the chart from the website I linked above, and the savings seem pretty significant.  

Kits will give you a shed a little faster, but everyone agrees the build quality will be much lower, and will not last as long, or look as good.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how people are computing the price of a kit higher than the price of buying the lumber and building.  This is the chart from the website I linked above, and the savings seem pretty significant.  

Kits will give you a shed a little faster, but everyone agrees the build quality will be much lower, and will not last as long, or look as good.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/Untitled-173540.JPG
View Quote
That list is comparing to tuffshed.  Like comparing a honda civic lease to a bmw m5. Try Arrow or the other brands, where a 10×12 is $1000.

Agree on your second paragraph.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/Untitled-173540.JPG
View Quote
I personally think building your own is cheaper, but those numbers are complete BS. Those are waaaay too low, or made out of pallets.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I personally think building your own is cheaper, but those numbers are complete BS. Those are waaaay too low, or made out of pallets.
View Quote
Kits aren't generally designed to provide the best product at a price point.
They're generally designed to maximize profits using the cheapest crap that wont disintegrate within 4 weeks of being assembled,
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They're generally designed to maximize profits using the cheapest crap that wont disintegrate within 4 weeks of being assembled,
View Quote
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I think those DIY prices are way too low. I think you can save money doing it yourself but those numbers are exaggerated to try and prove the creators point.

I don't think you can build a good worthwhile shed for <$500. At a glance, all the "build it yourself" numbers should be just about doubled.

Like I said, I built my parents a 12'x16' for ~$3200. It was pretty bare minimum materials. T1-11 siding, asphalt shingle with OSB underlayment etc. the only thing we did extra was a beefier floor to support a larger mower and some other equipment. Two double doors, no windows or anything extra or fancy.

ETA: It was a $5500-6500 shed at our local pre-built shed stores. We went and shopped for them there and I just copied the design and built it myself. I used 2x4 where they used 2x3, we used thicker T-board, flooring and joists etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I built an 8'x8' approximately four years ago and I spent approximately $1100 which is about what a shed from Home Depot would have cost me.  The only real advantage is I built it a little stronger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, a lot of the big box store kits don't include the floor decking or stringers.  

I built my 8x10 for about $1200. Took me bits and pieces of several weekends to do, plus a couple days of help from a family member to stand up and rack square the framing. They also helped with the roofing. I had never framed or roofed before but it was pretty easy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I built mine only because it was going to be customized as a chicken coop / goat shed / yard working tool storage shed

so of course its extremely overbuilt and insulated and the whole nine yards

but if I had to do it again I think I would buy
if I take my money "saved" and then divide it out into the hours spent building it
I lost my ass building my own

honestly if I was going to have a do over I would have went with a 40' storage container and walled off the back for the above "barn"
and still had the front for plenty more storage with more secure doors
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I helped a friend place a 20' conex at his place and then build his kids a playhouse on top of it. All he used that particular conex for was storing his yard/garden suppies and tools like a riding mower and walk behind tiller. It was wired and plumbed for a utility sink too. Only cold water though.

For security and durability I don't think a conex can be beat. We had a lot of fun on that project and I wish I had pics.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#38]
In general it just depends on the situation. I built my shed and saved about $400 verses buying the kit. Plus the quality is way better than the kits. It's nothing fancy but serves me just fine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#39]
I will be building a 12'x 16' lean to this summer to replace the rotted out 12x 12 that was here when I bought the house.

I found a single wide garage door with track on the side of the road about a month ago and I have that to be installed when I finish the shed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#40]
The honest answer is, "It depends."  If you don't factor in the cost of your time then yeah you'll come out ahead 9 times out of 10

for smaller sheds and medium sheds, the typical sized you see in residential suburban type neighborhoods, you can build a better shed for the same price.  The real question is if it is worth it to you. Figure ~2-3 days of work to have it complete once the base is set and ready. 

For larger sheds that border on garages you absolutely will save money DIY and have a much better structure.  Figure ~ 5 days of work once the base/foundation is ready with two people to have the exterior completed. 

If you're gonna build a medium to larger shed absolutely spend the money to buy a framing and roofing nailer. 

ETA: roofs are easier than they look. Just need to factor for snow load, if applicable, and building the trusses are easy.  Build them after you get the flooring done so you have a large platform to work off of and screw/nail down some guide pieces to turn it into a giant jig. Makes them identical and easily repeatable.  Build all the ones you'll need and set them aside. Framing out the walls takes no time at all. It's the sheathing part I hate the most....but only because of my back. I have tricks for doing it since I mostly work solo, but I still hate lugging around full sheets of OSB and/or plywood. 

One point id like to add. Look at your house's roof pitch and layout. try to mimic that if you can. It tends to make your shed look more aesthetically pleasing on the property. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top