Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 5:40:17 PM EDT
My daughter is getting married soon and she insists I build her a trellis (which a chandelier will hang) for her indoor wedding.

What type of lumber should I choose? It will be painted white, and probably disassemble in three pieces.

Choosing between fir, cedar, or plain whitewood, (which would probably accept paint the best).

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
@FW_wife  

If this is her dad, we're having it out on the patio.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Im note sure of what your design looks like, but if you are goign to paint it you can even go with MDF which accepts paint real well, or some combination of poplar and MDF.  Use a penetrating oil primer like BM Underbody.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Just see if you can find one to rent and make up a story about how hard you had to work. Don't spend a bunch of money and then throw it away.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are going to paint it, Poplar.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm with the others, if your going to paint it then cheaper is the way to go: pop, pine, or even MDF depending on what kinda structure you are going for.  I built a small arch/arbor for my wedding, I used Red Oak and left the wood natural with just an oil rub.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. Looks like poplar it is.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Small cross sections of MDF have almost no strength.

Poplar is not all that expensive from a hardwood dealer.

Wall Lumber can ship UPS.

Wall Lumber

4/4 poplar is less than $2 a board foot.

$89 will get you a 20 board foot UPS bundle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top