Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2017 10:43:16 PM EDT
I had 2 bits break off in a cabinet door!!! I was drilling pilot holes in an oak door and they snapped. Anyway, after years of sub par bits, I'd like to get a set that is good but doesn't break the bank. I'm just a home owner that also wrenches on his own stuff. Not a machines.
Any suggestions on good bits or just buy multiples and expect them to dull and break?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i've had good luck on fleabay. look for surplus aircraft bitsm or specific sizes, stay away from asian made bits
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
i've had good luck on fleabay. look for surplus aircraft bitsm or specific sizes, stay away from asian made bits
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to peck with the drill and clean the flutes if the saw dust is getting stuck.  It heats the drill and helps it break.

I got a few of the dewalt tin coated drill.

Wood is also abrasive ant will wear the tip over time
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Were you using wood bits? I try to only use brad tip wood bits in wood and plastic. Their sharper flutes seem to do a lot better. Also dont force the bits. Seems like a lot of people just pull the trigger on the fastest setting and bury that thing in the material. You need to let the bit do the cutting, sometimes its fast, many times it is not. Same with saw blades, only feed the material as fast as it is being cut.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldnt just about any drill bit you plan to use be considered a DIY drill bit I have decent luck with the dewalt bits... I manly use them in wood though..
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Champion bits and am very happy with them.  I work with a lot of stainless steel and they last a long time if i do my part (speed, feed and lube). I buy them by the sleeve in the sizes I use most.  I just saw Amazon is carrying a set for a little more than my source.  Amazon
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a set of Irwin bits given to me free a few years back. Work well around house and have the impact  style bases which make them convenient at times.

I'll also second he dewalt bits, have had a set of those for YEARS that I keep for bigger projects. They  still seem as sharp as the day i bought them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top