Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 12:50:58 PM EDT
Title says it all.  I have a little bit of self taught experience with drywall, but am not sure how to deal with the pipes and beams below the rafters as seen in the pictures.  I have never messed around with drop ceilings, but I'm not too stupid and am fairly handy.  The goal is a functional, not hideous ceiling; my wife and I are not perfectionists.  Also fine to do this in small chunks.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, we would like to remove this wall if possible.  I do not believe that it is a load bearing wall, correct?  It is not very far away from the previously posted vertical support in the post above this one.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a load bearing wall.  rip it out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a load bearing wall.  rip it out.
View Quote

Yup. Runs parallel to joists with nothing resting on top.

As for the ceiling, a drop would be my choice. It will allow you to easily access plumbing and electrical for future work. It will also be easier to install most likely. If you have enough height, you can just set the drop ceiling about 2" below the lowest hanging piece. Then you'll have one level of drop ceiling and won't have to frame around anything. The other option would be to frame the soffits and drywall the vertical sections. This would allow higher ceilings in most areas and lower ceilings around items in the ceiling.

For a drywall ceiling, you would frame soffits around the HVAC, plumbing, and joists.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I would do a drop ceiling. If any plumbing leaks or you have electrical problems or want to add anything in the future it's easy access. And you don't have to worry about the stuff that's under the joists already!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd just spray the thing with brown, or any dark paint.
Keep it industrial looking, with easy access to duct work and plumbing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The goal is a functional, not hideous ceiling; my wife and I are not perfectionists.  Also fine to do this in small chunks.
View Quote

Another option to consider is just paint.  I just finished setting up a playroom in the basement for my kids.  I didn't want it to become a huge project so I bought an airless sprayer from Harbor Freight and just sprayed the open joists in flat black latex.  It was really easy to do, it actually came out pretty good IMHO, and I still have access to the joist space in case I need to repair HVAC or wiring or whatever, and I didn't lose any height in an already low ceiling.  

google images for black basement ceiling
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Another option to consider is just paint.  I just finished setting up a playroom in the basement for my kids.  I didn't want it to become a huge project so I bought an airless sprayer from Harbor Freight and just sprayed the open joists in flat black latex.  I was really easy to do, it actually came out pretty good IMHO, and I still have access to the joist space in case I need to repair HVAC or wiring or whatever, and I didn't lose any height in an already low ceiling.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The goal is a functional, not hideous ceiling; my wife and I are not perfectionists.  Also fine to do this in small chunks.

Another option to consider is just paint.  I just finished setting up a playroom in the basement for my kids.  I didn't want it to become a huge project so I bought an airless sprayer from Harbor Freight and just sprayed the open joists in flat black latex.  I was really easy to do, it actually came out pretty good IMHO, and I still have access to the joist space in case I need to repair HVAC or wiring or whatever, and I didn't lose any height in an already low ceiling.  

that's totally the best way to go.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would do a drop ceiling. If any plumbing leaks or you have electrical problems or want to add anything in the future it's easy access. And you don't have to worry about the stuff that's under the joists already!
View Quote

This is the only logical answer
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Painting is a viable option, but a drop ceiling would be nice.   The trick to a good drop install will be a laser level for the drop install.  If it's out of level at all it will look like crap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
A drop with minimal distance to clear things below the joists.

And consider boxing the larger lines with double hung instead of making the whole ceiling lower.

If you put up drywall it will anger the plumbing gods and you will be cutting into it in a very short time for a plumbing reapir.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with dry wall, no problems after 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd just spray the thing with brown, or any dark paint.
Keep it industrial looking, with easy access to duct work and plumbing.
View Quote

My brother did this with his new house. I really like how it looks. The rest of his basement is finished and they use it as family space. Main reason they didn't drywall it was it was cheaper to paint it and it kept their property taxes down.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Seal and insulate the rim joist, insulate the water pipes, and use mold resistant ceiling tiles (I think I used Armstrong 420).
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Both are pretty easy.  I did half drywall and half drop.  My only advice, if you chose drywall, rent a drywall lift.  That makes ceiling work a snap.  If you do drop, make sure the first span is square.  If your walls are not perfectly square and straight, that can actually be a bit tricky.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#17]
We just did a drop ceiling in our new house.  I've already had to get up there for a couple minor issues.  Would have been major issues with a drywall ceiling.  

It looks good and the tiles we used reduce the transmission of sounds.  

I like the looks of drywall ceilings in the basement but would only use a drop ceiling.  

We considered painting it flat black but the negative to that is we would hear the water running through the drain pipes.

I bought a pair of drywall stilts to help speed the install.  I would have hated to do it with just a ladder.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Another option to consider is just paint.  I just finished setting up a playroom in the basement for my kids.  I didn't want it to become a huge project so I bought an airless sprayer from Harbor Freight and just sprayed the open joists in flat black latex.  It was really easy to do, it actually came out pretty good IMHO, and I still have access to the joist space in case I need to repair HVAC or wiring or whatever, and I didn't lose any height in an already low ceiling.  

View Quote

Leaning this way, thanks to this thread.  Why do I want a $200 airless sprayer over a $20 conventional one?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Leaning this way, thanks to this thread.  Why do I want a $200 airless sprayer over a $20 conventional one?
View Quote

Because you are going to use many gallons of paint.

Harbor Freight has a good one that is reasonable. You can also rent them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

An airless sprayer feeds from your 5 gallon buckets of paint. Instead of pouring into quart containers.  You should be able to rent an airless from your local rental place.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

An airless sprayer feeds from your 5 gallon buckets of paint. Instead of pouring into quart containers.  You should be able to rent an airless from your local rental place.
View Quote

This, plus the price gap narrowed when I considered that in order to run a cheap hvlp gun I would also need to buy an oil separator and moisture collector for my air compressor.  You also have a lot more flexibility in spray angle with the airless that you can't get with a hvlp gun due to the paint hopper which is important to consider when spraying up.  I was also concerned that latex paint might be too thick for a regular spray gun.  The airless worked like a champ.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Wise choice op. Paint the whole thing black. It looks bad ass. And way cheaper and easier than either a drop ceiling or drywall.

Worst case, if you hate it, you still have 2 other options.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#23]
In, was just about to do this in the gun room.

Paint looks bitchin.

Not sure why I didn't think of it before hand
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top