Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 3:47:45 PM EDT
I learned to do things a bit differently then in my youth. Here are a few....

1) Measure 2 or 3 times before cutting.

2) Pre-Drill all the holes that I can.

2b) Go Slow with the drill and stop when the screw head bottoms out (In the past, I would just keep cranking on it and learned this just eats up the hole and the screw wont stay)

3) Not afraid to call an expert when it just gets too complicated

4) Turn off breakers when ANY wire will be exposed to include outlets and switches

Im sure there are many more..................
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't clean jalapeños then touch your wang.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
make her poop first
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
make her poop first
View Quote

Appropriate screen name.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I fart much more carefully
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a leak before getting in the car.  

There is no sex in the champagne room.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Think with the right head.

Edit: Oops. Thread moved to a less GD-like area.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I learned to do things a bit differently then in my youth. Here are a few....

1) Measure 2 or 3 times before cutting.

2) Pre-Drill all the holes that I can.

2b) Go Slow with the drill and stop when the screw head bottoms out (In the past, I would just keep cranking on it and learned this just eats up the hole and the screw wont stay)

3) Not afraid to call an expert when it just gets too complicated

4) Turn off breakers when ANY wire will be exposed to include outlets and switches

Im sure there are many more..................
View Quote

Check for voltage anyway, that breaker you thought got everything in the room, will be for everything except the switch you are about to change out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm certainly older, but wiser...  the jury's still out on that one.
View Quote

Quit when I get really tired. I've cut myself too many times when exhausted.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I no longer cut drywall with a Skil saw.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
edit not gd

make drawings and look up codes for all possible issues
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
make her poop first
View Quote
fuck that

dont waste free lube
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
"Work smart, not hard."  Also known as having the correct tool for the job at hand.  I used to make due with what I had, because I couldn't afford to go buy the tool that I needed.  Now I kinda just buy what I think I might need one day...
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
It can be faster to take the time to move the parts out of the way, rather than trying to take a shortcut around or through them, when working on the car.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Check voltage on a known live circuit before checking the voltage on the one you think you shut off.

When you go to buy a part, but one size smaller and one size larger and return the ones you don't need.  When you need 4 screws to mount something, take at least 6 with you up the ladder. Always bring or buy more than you need because you will lose/drop/mismeasure/break something.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Take cellphone pics when it seems like you may not remember how it goes back together
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Take cellphone pics when it seems like you may not remember how it goes back together
View Quote

Good call.  We do that all the time at work.  We got some new guys in at work from the IBEW who were bitching and saying how they would blow up on apprentices who carried their cell phone on the job and saying we were soft for not caring about that.  They got over that real quick when they realized fixing shit and doing new build are two very different things!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Feed her a good steak, the night before.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#25]
all of the responses so far have been good stuff to remember. I`m a lot slower to anger that I used to be and less inclined for
people to know my opinion. And I listen more. I have some pat sayings that I use.
"how you treat people matters" 5 word rule
money is a lousy way to measure wealth.
happiness is wanting what you have not having what you want.
the bigger the head the bigger the target.
happy wife, happy life.
its better to be occasionally taken than perpetually suspicious.
when you whiz, wipe off the damn bowl. you have no idea how much a woman appreciates a bowl that don`t smell.
drive defensively at all times.

probably think of more later
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm certainly older, but wiser...  the jury's still out on that one.

That's a big one I've followed religiously for several years.  I've got a fair size lathe and several other things that could mangle or chop me up instantly. If I'm tired I don't mess with any of them.

The other BIG one is safety glasses.  Up till a few years ago,  sometimes I'd wear them,  sometimes not.  Then one time I did have some on a cutting wheel blew up and chunks of it went up my cheek,  across the glasses and up my forehead.  Without the glasses I wouldn't have a left eye right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#27]
When I am going to repair something, or build something I don't just jump in and get started and then wing it.

I think about it for awhile and if possible look on the internet for any breakdown information I can find.

If I can't figure out an answer that provides exactly what I want, I don't do it till I can.  Good enough is not good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Wear gloves and eye protection...still find myself too lazy to do it sometimes though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#29]
If laying on your back ( crawl space ) and drilling a 1" hole through the subfloor and sole plate don't clean the splinters with your finger.  Instant Chinese finger trap  Except for my heals, I could lift my whole body off of the ground and it didn't let go.  A long day and a lot of sweating
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Use the right size and geometry philips driver tip for the screw....#2 is not a universal solution.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Wear some kind of eye protection when working under something.  No matter how clean it is, the one dust speck will magically find its way into your eye.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Good thread free bump.

Keep the pointers coming. I'm a relatively young guy and I'm still learning. I am not patient at all. I tend to use more braun than brain, but surprisingly it works and I do have some very nice things.

More pointers/ "old guy" advice please.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Stop buying lumber and mouldings from the big box store, and buy from your local lumber/building supply store instead. The quality difference is incredible.

Still have not learned the "i think I can drywall/tape/mud/sand this whole room by myself". Each project I start I promise myself to hire that out, and never do.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I think im more apt to tackle certain projects now as opposed to when I was younger. Some of that has to do with experience , but mostly patience with things.

Measure three times for me!

Ask for help if needed. When I was younger I just wanted to power through stuff.

Life in general , time use it wisely as it is finite and there may never be more of it later.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#35]
After you measure three times, write the number on the piece of wood or drywall with a carpenters pencil.

I hate walking from the work spot to the saw only and having to turn around at the halfway point go back to re-measure because I brain farted.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Learn how to PROPERLY sharpen tools and  maintain wood handles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sorry, I know this is a very GD thing to say, but fucking. If I had to do it all over again as a single guy, I'd be bending them over, swinging from the rafters, that sort of thing, on the first date. I'd love, just once, to say "I've never done this before" then proceed to shock her with the shocker.

But yeah, I'd probably learn how to finish correctly, sans-serif in and such.  I originally thought this wasn't appropriate for this forum, but DIY can mean lots of things.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#38]
before i use any machine, i try to think of all the ways it can hurt me and how i can prevent it. any machine or powertool. i have a lot of half-moon shaped scars from grinder discs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Slow down.  Use your brain God gave you to think things through first.  Check your work area.  If running saws, think of kick back and the direction shit might fly.  
Don't take short cuts.
Think long term and use quality materials for any project so it will hold up.
Play the "what if" game with everything you work on.
Safety first, use all PPE at all times.
Most important, PAY FUCKING ATTENTION!!! Put the cell phone away.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:01:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Use the right tool(s) for the task at hand.

Do not buy shitty, or even 'OK', tools. Cry once, and buy the best.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Whenever disassembling anything, take pictures along the way. Makes putting it back together much easier and you don't have that extra nut/bolt/etc laying around. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Many years back I read R.A. Heinlein's short story about "The man who was too lazy to fail."

Since that time I never proceed without taking the time to think things through, because I too am lazy* in that I do not ever want to have to do a job twice because I wasn't prepared to get it done right the first time. ( * and cheap)

Now that I'm in my 50's I am lazy paranoid - if something looks heavy - it likely is, So I have chain hoists, cherry pickers, die carts, jacks and leavers, and an endless list of excuses why I should not actually lift an item myself. I often work alone so using mechanized aids helps keep my out of danger.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a cabinet shop so some of my advice is specific to that but can be applied to other projects too.

Hearing protection. I wish I started doing it when I was younger.
Wear a respirator when spraying any finish this includes waterbases.
I use stop blocks on my miter saw table when cutting multiples of the same size. It's faster and more accurate than measuring each piece individually. 
Always make extra parts. Sometimes defects in wood are not apparent until the end.
Pre finish as much as possible prior to assembly.
Buy more tool than you think you need.
Keep blades sharp and clean.
Take the time to set up your machines properly.
I have a couple of 4 x 8 assembly benches which are 20 inches high. It saves your back to work at a comfortable height.
All work benches are on wheels. Makes it easier when you have to make room for big projects.

And the biggest one. If something is aggravating you walk away and work on something else.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Make use of the Internet before you start a project you've never done before. There's an absolute treasure trove of info on YouTube and blogs out there.

Never cheap out on ladders. If you can't EASILY reach something on a ladder, move the damn ladder. Don't trust things that are one failure away from killing you. If you use only a jack to support a car that your getting under, one seal failing in the jack means you probably die.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
I recently disassembled a piece of equipment in order to add a VFD and before I finished I took ill and then when I felt well enough to continue I had to go out of town for several weeks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't even bother to work on anything until you think it through and line up the proper tools. This will save you several years of your life. I can fix or repair anything but I work like a surgeon or I don't work. I am not going to spend thirty minutes of my life looking for a @#&%$! proper Tool. As you get older free time is golden. I get a lot of satisfaction out of a job done well but I refuse to be involved in a half assed clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Another poster mentioned it above but I'll reiterate slllooowww doooowwwnnn.  

Years ago I was on a job site building some stairs, so I was running back and forth to the saw.  Carpenter just said "Slow down dude, that's how accidents happen".  I stopped and realized that I was literally running.  Here I am surrounded by extension cords and saws and people working and carrying wood and I'm literally running and jumping over things to work quickly.  

I guess it's just how I was used to working sometimes, but now I intentially slow way down and try to do things efficiently and correctly rather than quickly.

Lots of lessons from shooting apply...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.  
Don't outrun your headlights.  
You can't miss fast enough.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Working is not organizing however an unorganized project is a nightmare.
Now that I`m retired I MAKE the time to organize.

Utube is your friend.

Acetone and 3M electrical tape will keep you in the game when you cut yourself.

A clean work area is blessing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top