Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2017 10:54:10 AM EDT
Started the project on Dec 11 of last year, last coat of paint over the air nail holes last night. Total of seven doors and a make over on the linen cabinet.
1972 3bed/2bath ranch style home 1/4 acre...suburbia 10 miles south of Porkland. Been our home for 18 years and we raised two great kids here, now heading to college and careers.

Decided to replace the interior doors...
Reliabuilt two-panel doors from Lowes. I give these a 6.5/10 for quality and would use again. They are not high end solid core doors.
2 1/4" MDF trim from local lumber yard
Paint color is Behr White 57°
Total cost was $793 so about $100 per door including door, trim, lock set (Schlage), paint, etc.

Before and After pics...note the fine 1972 scroll work on the linen doors, this was the last of it to go as we remolded the kitchen last year.

For the linen doors I filled in the old scroll work with wood filler, sanded smooth, and primed. I bought 1x3 poplar and ripped it in half (~.300" thick each) for the rail and stiles. Glue and air nail to face, prime, and paint. Really wanted to go hidden hinges but haven't mastered that yet. Some day.

Got rid of the old doors on CL and they went fast. Pleased with the results for under $1k. Should add some resale value should wife and I decide to change. Hope the info is help to some of you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Good job OP, but be careful, remodeling is a slippery slope.

We moved into our house in September.

The remodel started with, "let's get new doors" haha.

Then it went to trim, then let's repaint everything since the trim will be off anyways,  then new furniture, the lighting and ceiling fans, then a fence, and the list goes on.

I just replaced every outlet, light switch, and ever other old cream faceplate cover in the house today. Almost 50 damn items.

Now the wife is already talking about new windows and ultimately a kitchen.

We're at about 10-12k in right now. Luckily I can do all of the work otherwise it would be a lot higher in labor.

Doors are much easier when you buy them from a lumber store and have them spray them. It was about double your cost for 10 doors but had them installed in 1 day.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, slippery slope indeed, first it's doors, then it's a few bathroom upgrades, then it's a new kitchen. We've slowly been converting/painting all of our doors and trim inside the house to white. I'm not as big of a fan, but it's the trendy thing to do this decade and keeps the GF happy so it works out alright. Definitely shows wear easier and doesn't stay looking good as long imho...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
We've been on a remodel kick the past two years... all exterior doors, windows, main bath, complete kitchen gut and replace...
Master bath is next. Going to start a thread about shower floor/wall options.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work, ORARGB.

Those raised panel doors and paint finish added nice visual detail to the space.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you brush everything or spray?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you brush everything or spray?
View Quote

Brush.

Doors came primed. I installed one at a time.
Installed pre-painted trim both sides (five 7' pieces per door). Pro Tip" Fill the back grove where you will cut on one of the five pieces to be used as the header trim board. This makes the cut ends nice and flush with no recess showing.
Removed door and all hinges
Brushed all surfaces, two coats, using a four inch 1/4" nap roller and back brushing with a 2 1/2" sash brush. The Behr paint really flowed well...There are no lines.
I did a coat on the door and jam in about 50 minutes

Since I did a door about every 5th day (evenings and weekends) it didn't make sense to spray. I bought them one at a time from Lowes which is a mile away. Spray would have been my preferred method but I don't own a good unit. I am pretty good at painting though so I didn't have any worries with a brush and roller.

Regarding the white color. We were concerned about dirt and wear. However the kids are grown and they won't see a bunch of abuse. Heck, an hour on a weekend morning would give it a fresh recoat in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just the door, or both door and frame?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
1st time homeowner.

Replaced my first door today.

8 more to go...

There are a few good doors in my house, but most of them, the panels are separating from the frame, some had holes and we're patched  with duct tape and painted over. All the paint on the doors suck. So I figured I'd just replace them all.

I'm using the Hinge mate 360 from Miles craft and the Dewalt door jig. Got both from lowes, as well as the door ($35).

I bought a Dewalt router last year to make 80% lowers, and that's what I used for the hinges.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good!
Our bedroom is right off the living room, so I would like to replace that door with a solid core. The wall is fully insulated, but we get a lot of noise through the hollow door. I work shifts, so it sucks on the weekends when I'm working nights.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would guess just door.
From the pics, the frames look decent enough. No need to replace them if you plan on painting it if they are in good shape.

I have a couple frames if like to replace with prehung, but I've already painted walls and I'm getting tired of all the work. almost 2 months into owning this house and all I've got left is 1 bedroom, bathroom, and laundry room...and all the doors.
So I'm a just buy slabs and leave the frames as they are for now.

This summer I'll be attacking the outside.
Pressure washing, painting exterior facia and overhang, the bit of siding where the garage door used to be, shutters, landscaping, new roof, and hopefully, a decent portable building or shop
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I replaced the door and jamb. I could have gone either way but just went prehung to avoid fitment issues.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I replaced the door and jamb. I could have gone either way but just went prehung to avoid fitment issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah.
Took me about an hour and a half to do the first door...reading the directions and making sure I don't fuck up.
Second door minus paint was done in 30 minutes from blank slab to hanging from existing jamb and hardware installed. Saved me about $100.
It's fairly easy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
In hindsight, I probably would not do the total tear out and replace of the jams...
Cost wise the doors I bought were $77. I could get a blank (same style) and hinges for about $44. And, the old frames, with a little TLC and filler, would have been just fine. I have the tools/skills to router the hinge recess. And, assuming the lockset cutouts are still the same (44 years difference).

Just throwing that out there for others interested.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good to me.

I just bought a house with a new remodel on the kitchen and other rooms but the doors are the original hollow ones that I plan on replacing with solid ones soon.

Also plan on doing a bathroom off the master upstairs and doing a sliding barn door for that one as the entryway into the room is an arch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top