Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 9:50:48 PM EDT
Bought a new to me home recently. Home inspector said I should budget for a roof in the next 10 years. Guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

Now I want to educate myself and do my own roof assessment. When I walk on it, the shingles make a cracking sound and my roof feels sponge. There is only a 1/4 length ridge vent, but there are gable vents on both ends and I have a gable fan to install.

When I was replacing a gable vent, I got a good look at the nailing plate where the trusses meet the rafters. What worried me is that one of them (looking at the top left of the nailing plate, whichever that would be) was disconnected from the nailing plate. So I want to get in my attic and inspect everything to make sure it isnt going to cave in anytime soon.

What should I be looking for? What are the obvious signs of roof danger?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought a new to me home recently. Home inspector said I should budget for a roof in the next 10 years. Guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

Now I want to educate myself and do my own roof assessment. When I walk on it, the shingles make a cracking sound and my roof feels sponge. There is only a 1/4 length ridge vent, but there are gable vents on both ends and I have a gable fan to install.

When I was replacing a gable vent, I got a good look at the nailing plate where the trusses meet the rafters. What worried me is that one of them (looking at the top left of the nailing plate, whichever that would be) was disconnected from the nailing plate. So I want to get in my attic and inspect everything to make sure it isnt going to cave in anytime soon.

View Quote

It sounds to me like:

a) your roof decking is rotting;
b) you're going to have to replace it a lot sooner than 10 years;
c) that home inspector needs to find another line of work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't say for sure from your description. Can you post pics of the roof as well as inside the attic and the underside of your eves?

It does sound like your roof needs to be replaced and possibly the decking but possibly not.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It sounds to me like:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It sounds to me like:

Hold on a sec.  Is the roof soft all over, or just in a couple of spots?  OP needs to clarify.  If its a couple of spots, this can be normal.  May not necessarily be considered rot either.  If possible, remember where soft spot is, then get into the attic and locate the same area and see what it looks like.

The main sign of any roof danger in my opinion is water leaking into the interior.  Either way, sounds like you need to get up in the attic and check all around for any sort of leaks.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
As was posted above locate the soft spots, take a tape measure up and note the placement.  Go up into the attic with a ball peen and use it to sound out the soft spots it will be fairly apparent if they are different.

You mention that some of the truss gang nailers are coming apart, re-nailing them is no biggie, I'd be a little more concerned about why they're coming off.

Pictures would help.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hold on a sec.  Is the roof soft all over, or just in a couple of spots?  OP needs to clarify.  If its a couple of spots, this can be normal.  May not necessarily be considered rot either.  If possible, remember where soft spot is, then get into the attic and locate the same area and see what it looks like.

The main sign of any roof danger in my opinion is water leaking into the interior.  Either way, sounds like you need to get up in the attic and check all around for any sort of leaks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds to me like:

How is a soft spot in a roof considered normal?  The only way for it to feel "spongy" (as far as I know ) is if the roof decking has been compromised, or, if applicable, the plywood was installed incorrectly, with the grain running parallel to the roof trusses rather than perpendicular.

Definitely agree that more investigation and information is needed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Step on a plywood seam between trusses and it will feel soft.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How is a soft spot in a roof considered normal?  The only way for it to feel "spongy" (as far as I know ) is if the roof decking has been compromised, or, if applicable, the plywood was installed incorrectly, with the grain running parallel to the roof trusses rather than perpendicular.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds to me like:

Normal in Indiana would be a house built in the late 1960's when builders transitioned from the 1x decking to 3/8" plywood 2' on center. It was some time in the early 70's that they figured out that isnt going to work and brought the trusses back in and used thicker decking.

Need more info to have an educated opinion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol this.
Plus, OP might be 400#s
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This and some houses have 3/8 plywood decking. You don't know spongie until you have walked on 3/8 ply

Op I am a roofing contractor in California with 24 years experience with every type of residential roof out there. Post some pics of the roof say entire sections and then some closer ones of the shingles themselves and I will tell you what is or isn't a problem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top