Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 9:58:15 AM EDT
Gonna replace Timing Belt and its tension pulleys, camshafts/front crank seals, water pump, Aux belts, all 10 coolant hoses and radiator on my 16 year old 83K mile Miata. I bought all OEM Mazda parts from Emerald Coast for $369 except for the $78 Denso radiator from Rock Auto. The one part I need from the dealer is the new Crankshaft pulley bolt. It's $14 retail and fits 43 Mazda car models. They don't stock it and won't let me pre pay with CC to order it. I have to drive all the way out there and pre pay for it then return to get it when it comes in. WTF? Total BS! So I'm guessing when you get a dealer installed timing belt they don't replace the crank pulley bolt that is recommended. Half assed at best.

<Title edit.  This isn't GD.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Order from another dealer. 50 places on the Internet for you to get that part.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Order from another dealer. 50 places on the Internet for you to get that part.
View Quote

Yep my mistake. I should have ordered it online but I figured I could easily get it locally because it fits so many models. Wanted to start on this Fri. and dealer said he could have it at 7AM tomorrow if I go there and pre pay by 3PM. Online would be 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you replace that bolt? In about 10 years of racing, including the worst that Spec Miata and various other club racing/pro racing classes have to offer, Ive seen a lot of things fail. Things you would never, ever think of. Ive NEVER seen that bolt fail.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you replace that bolt? In about 10 years of racing, including the worst that Spec Miata and various other club racing/pro racing classes have to offer, Ive seen a lot of things fail. Things you would never, ever think of. Ive NEVER seen that bolt fail.
View Quote

I'm spending around $500 with the OEM 10 coolant hoses, new radiator and all the other new OEM parts. In the grand scheme of things $14 for a crank bolt means nothing. Blew $5 for a new OEM Woodruff key too. I bought 4 new shoulderd crank pulley bolts too with 10.9 hardness. Gonna clean the crank boss threads they thread into with brake clean so the blue loctite locks. Way to many horror stories about crank/keyway/pulley issues not to do it right.

My 16 year old Miata only has 83K miles. I only drive this car an average of 5K miles a year so this preventive maintenance has gotta last at least 10 years till I do it again. Why go cheap? Do it right the first time and be done with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top