Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 8:47:30 PM EDT
Hey all quick question. I spent the weekend ripping out my old tile and backer board in most of my first floor what was under that is 1/4 Luan that I left. I have one room that has laminate in it now and doesn't have the Luan, but it's also 1/4 thick so it lines up perfect. Can I install my strand nail down bamboo over top of the laminate or should I rip it out? I worry that since the laminate is floating it could cause problems in the future although I have had no movement in the laminate.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd never install something over laminate. I've had too many flooring issues to not do something right.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd never install something over laminate. I've had too many flooring issues to not do something right.
View Quote

Yeah I am thinking I should put in a little extra work and rip it up. My friend was telling me to leave it that was helping with the tile demo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely rip it up. Laminate is cheap and doesn't stand up well to moisture, if for whatever reason water/moisture got under the bamboo and got the laminate wet it would swell and cause the bamboo to buckle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top