Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2016 9:25:52 PM EDT
I was trying to get LMR 400 in to my home for ham radio use.  Thread is ARCHIVED HERE

I decided to go through the rim joist after seeing how the radon chimney was sealed.

I FINALLY got a free weekend, and the testicular fortitude to drill a hole in the side of my house.  Measured 37 times.  I KNEW where I was going to come through inside the house.  NO ROMEX inside the house to worry about...

I mounted the box, and started drilling in...

Aaaaannnndddd,.... I found 110 of the 220 running to my upstairs AC unit!!!!

FFFFuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

So, luckily the current went though the hole saw only (Not through me).  My neighborhood electrician informed me that inside romex is not allowed to be run in the channel behind siding.

Tomorrow, I think I am calling the county inspection office, informing them, and letting them kick the builder and electrician in the taco.  Yeah, it will pi$$ off the builder, but not as pissed as I am.

Pics of the finished box at a later time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That's gonna suck to splice, unless the short end goes to that AC disconnect right there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
you house is made of plastic with a grey plastic tarp inside?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt call the inspector, but i would get the wire ran right.  Not sure how anybody thought that was a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

it's vinyl siding with Tyvek (or similar) housewrap underneath.  all of this is applied over the wall sheathing.  

nothing wrong with that.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap...do you not have one of those stud finders that also detects hot lines?

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldnt call the inspector, but i would get the wire ran right.  Not sure how anybody thought that was a good idea.
View Quote

OP: call the builder and tell him that unless he sorts this out ASAP and the solution to code, you WILL be calling the inspector.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP: call the builder and tell him that unless he sorts this out ASAP and the solution to code, you WILL be calling the inspector.

ar-jedi

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

I am *(&(*&^%$ done with calling the builder.  F that.  Let the inspector come out and ream them.  I nearly did the 60 Hz shuffle cranked up to 220.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this GD?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#9]
That is a BS way to run wiring, the electrician who did that needs reamed.

Not gonna be pretty running a new wire inside the wall now, I bet they are going to want to run exposed conduit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would. OP has posted other problems about this brand new house. See his hardwood floor problems. Here's the original thread about running his Ham radio line.

Sounds like the builder is just throwing up houses looking to make as much profit as possible.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would. OP has posted other problems about this brand new house. See his hardwood floor problems. Here's the original thread about running his Ham radio line.

Sounds like the builder is just throwing up houses looking to make as much profit as possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for using post 5000 on me and my issues!
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol wow who ever did that needs a ass kicking

Good luck op

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lol wow who ever did that needs a ass kicking

Good luck op

View Quote

UPDATE:  Electrician came out today.  He started the conversation on the wrong foot, but I quickly got him back on track.  Instead of using my LB idea and burying conduit, they were able to fish inside the rim joist, and NOT cut through any drywall.

Since I put him back on track by using my words, I asked nicely and he ran a 4 gauge ground wire from my home's main ground to the lightning arrestor in the box.

Pics soon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Holy crap...do you not have one of those stud finders that also detects hot lines?
View Quote

Tucked in behind the siding? You shouldn't have to! A shoddy, terrible electrician (or unqualified diy'r) would run romex tucked under siding like that. That's bad.

I would assume that that cable was an afterthought and the installer took an easy/quick way out. I may be wrong. Other than that i'd have to get eyes on it to assess how to correct that install...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Your problem was in the first post.  You only measured 37 times, not the arfcom required 87 times.

Is the builder going to replace your underwear too??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top