Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 10:59:33 PM EDT
Wife and I purchased this house and it hasn't been updated since the 80's. Don't want to stick a lot of money into it because we are looking into building in the next few years. This is the kitchen reno in progress, kept the cabinets but framed the doors with wood lath and added a coat of paint and new hardware. Counter top is laminate, new sink and faucet, and tile. Have about $450 in it not counting the new appliances. Here's the before and after (so far, still have to put the hardware on the drawers) ......how have I done?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice. Although I don't like tile mainly because I have broken a few legs because of tile. Another story. Love the counter tops. And seems same issue I always have in a kitchen never enough counter top space every. And since I moved into my house about 8 years ago and still with the same dishwasher an old Maytag one and beats the shit out of my mom's newer Kenmore one all day. I don't have to prewash anything. Just put it in and wash and comes out clean/
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks very nice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good to me. I'm getting ready to move in my first place in about a month. So much that I'd LIKE to do, not necessary. I guess as time goes on and I'm able to save bit by bit to do little things I can nail them all. I know there are hardwood floors under the carpet so I would like to refinish those. Then I'd be replacing baseboards when I did that, then this, then that. Like a never ending process.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Put a strip of LED lights under the upper cabinets.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put a strip of LED lights under the upper cabinets.
View Quote

I'm planning on doing that, just gotta map out the wiring and where I'm going to tap into the power....
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
You did a good job!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.

The only suggestion I have is to consider replacing the range hood with a combo microwave/range hood that matches the range to free up counter space and give it a more modern look.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
really like the cabinet change. What you had is about what I have now and looking for options.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very nice.

The only suggestion I have is to consider replacing the range hood with a combo microwave/range hood that matches the range to free up counter space and give it a more modern look.
View Quote

Tried that, but it hung too close to the range top for my comfort. In order to do that I'll need to remove some cabinets, so instead I'll just be adding a stainless hood...
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great. We are getting ready to move into an older house that has upgrades to most rooms except the kitchen and will need to do something about the old cabinets.

Do you have more pictures of what you did to your cabinets?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]
You gave me hope.  My kitchen cabinets are just like yours.  Can't afford new ones.   The work you did is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice job OP, I need to do what you did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top