Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 7:19:52 PM EDT
My reloading room is in a FROG, that isn't connected to the central H/AC, so it has a window unit.   It is a Samsung and at least 4 years old, but could be much more.  The fan doesn't turn.  Should I call a repair person, or just buy another one?  I have no idea how long these things are expected to last, or if they are still something that you can get repaired
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would replace it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll spend at the minimum $100 on a tech. Buy a new one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Is something blocking the fan?

Short of that I would buy a new one, and I do HVAC for a living
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is something blocking the fan?

Short of that I would buy a new one, and I do HVAC for a living
View Quote

+1

I'm an HVAC tech too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I would buy a new one as mentioned.  

You might also look into a mini split.  They are quite a bit more expensive but can offer heat and AC and will usually be cheaper to run than a window unit.  There are some rather inexpensive units available now that actually have good reviews.  

But, if you only use the room occasionally, I'd just use a window unit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a new one.
They rarely have ports for charging or measuring.
Adding ports alone will cost more than all but the very largest 240 V window units.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Replace it.  Or add a mini split heat pump

I do commercial refrigeration. Btw
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a new one. A window unit is all I have here for a/c, and we get to 100+ in the summer. The last one I purchased came with a 5 year warranty, and if you keep it clean in summer and covered in winter will do a better job. Granted, it's a bigger unit which get you better components usually, but still was about $400.00 for 18,000btu.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Finding how many BTU/hr the old one was would be a good starting point.
Was performance adequate?

Sizing window units is often a crap shoot..
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't wait for mine to die.  I cut a hole in my 10" thick concrete wall to install a window unit.  I now want to pull it out and put in a split system so I can have an opening for a small paint booth in my work shop.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can't wait for mine to die.  I cut a hole in my 10" thick concrete wall to install a window unit.  I now want to pull it out and put in a split system so I can have an opening for a small paint booth in my work shop.
View Quote

Make sure the unit you buy will convert to sleeve mount in a thicker wall.
Some window units have vents on the sides of the case not all that far from the front of the unit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some window units have vents on the sides of the case not all that far from the front of the unit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, they cleared the wall. This is actually my second unit.  First one died after roughly 10 years.  I was running the A/C in the room Saturday. Could have hung meat in there.  I don't think it is going to die any time soon.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, they cleared the wall. This is actually my second unit.  First one died after roughly 10 years.  I was running the A/C in the room Saturday. Could have hung meat in there.  I don't think it is going to die any time soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds oversize.
Results in cold damp rooms.

The unit shuts off on temperature before it can remove humidity.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds oversize.
Results in cold damp rooms.

The unit shuts off on temperature before it can remove humidity.
View Quote

That is why I like invertor driven mini splits so much. So you get closer to setpoint it slows down. Plus the coil temp is lower and that really help to wring the water out of the air
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top