Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You have a true skill that's probably dying along with the rest of America

Great job
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When it was installed, it was delivered by seven full semi loads.  It's foundation is in a 7' deep pit, is 48" thick, and sits on concrete pylons that go down another 27 feet.

I think I have a time lapse of it being assembled somewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a big mill.

Heck, if the table doesn't turn out how you want it... just mill a new one!

When it was installed, it was delivered by seven full semi loads.  It's foundation is in a 7' deep pit, is 48" thick, and sits on concrete pylons that go down another 27 feet.

I think I have a time lapse of it being assembled somewhere.
I would love to see this!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Uploading now.  I'll post when I get home from work.

ETA: 4 months in 4 minutes.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Sent the motor out today to be rewired for 220 3ph.  Now that I understand the difference between wye and delta 3 phase I see why this is necessary.  He's also going to coat the windings with a putty to help seal the motor from sawdust since the motor is relatively open to debris.  Then I just need to source a sufficient frequency drive and this thing will be running anywhere with 220.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
At first I thought the machine was going to take up the entire space there, then realized how big that part of the building is.

Quite impressive, and more so that you can take your table saw to work and use that monster to machine it.

Cool update on the motor, this has turned into a hell of a restoration.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
It's getting out of hand  I have other projects backing up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool, thanks for sharing.  

btw, is the lighting in the new shop running 24/7?  Might want to turn them off once in a while.  You will get a lot longer lamp life if they are allowed to be restarted once every few days.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, no.  That was just the temporary lighting that was on all the time.  Our ballasts are off every night and weekend.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey OP any updates?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, waiting on the motor yet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Just trying to keep from being archived.

Still waiting on the motor.  Wrapped up a couple other little projects so hopefully I can get some more work done on it soon, like applying the decals and cutting the bevel gears.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I know I'm not the only one waiting to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Anti archive bump.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anti archive bump.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Motor guy is delivering a motor he repaired for my workplace and says mine should be next on his bench.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Motor guy needs to punch it!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Motor guy is delivering a motor he repaired for my workplace and says mine should be next on his bench.
View Quote

Sounds like he got his priorities backwards! Arf project come before work projects
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Should be next" or will be next?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Tell me about it

On the plus side, I'm not bored.  Making this for a coworker.  Hand forged, hand finished 1095 differential heat treat ferric chloride etching.  It'll get copper guard and pommel with a stacked leather handle.

If you are interested in the knives and have instagram I'll be posting most of that work there.  @trondheimer
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any word on this yet?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#21]
No and I'm getting a little torqued about it.  I'll call him Monday.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Don't piss him off too bad, or it'll be another couple of months.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He owes me a motor for work too.  My maintence guys say they've been following up but who knows.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Motors done.  He just hasn't delivered it yet.  I'll likely go pick it up next week.  Putting a roof on my house this week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Looking forward to seeing it run
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
And miscommunication.  My motor is not done, and will not be done.  Basically after talking with some engineers they were worried that rewinding it for 240 would result in too much amperage draw for the wire size- maybe not at first, but that it would have a short life span and about $300 in cost.

However, WEG makes what they call saw arbor motors.  Very similar form.  He is a WEG distributor and told me he can get one for me basically for cost, which will be $400-500.  So I picked out a 3ph, 3 hp, 208-230/480 WEG and he's ordering that in for me.

Plus side is I'll have a motor with a warranty.  Downside, I'll have to make an adapter plate to get it to mount.  This should not be much of an issue at all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
He called me and ordered it today.  It's in Chicago, which means he should have it tomorrow.

Hopefully I finish up my roof this weekend and next weekend I can be wrapping the saw up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And miscommunication.  My motor is not done, and will not be done.  Basically after talking with some engineers they were worried that rewinding it for 240 would result in too much amperage draw for the wire size- maybe not at first, but that it would have a short life span and about $300 in cost.

However, WEG makes what they call saw arbor motors.  Very similar form.  He is a WEG distributor and told me he can get one for me basically for cost, which will be $400-500.  So I picked out a 3ph, 3 hp, 208-230/480 WEG and he's ordering that in for me.

Plus side is I'll have a motor with a warranty.  Downside, I'll have to make an adapter plate to get it to mount.  This should not be much of an issue at all.
View Quote

Not a downside at all, since you can take and post pics of the process.

Anxiously awaiting the completed machine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly! Now we want to see pictures of designing and machining the adapter plate
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quick update to whet the appetite before I'm off to dog training.

Bonus, this will draw about 30% less amperage than the original motor at 240 volts, for the same HP.  And if I didn't mention before, it's TEFC, Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled, meaning no sawdust in the windings on this guy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

http://i65.tinypic.com/vwzkwp.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/15d5qty.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/w6ujjr.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/dfd5zb.jpg

Bonus, this will draw about 30% less amperage than the original motor at 240 volts, for the same HP.  And if I didn't mention before, it's TEFC, Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled, meaning no sawdust in the windings on this guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i65.tinypic.com/vwzkwp.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/15d5qty.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/w6ujjr.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/dfd5zb.jpg

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice work.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#40]
And it looks like a new fangled tilt arbor?

Or an old tilt table?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Or an old tilt table?

View Quote

I'm not sure what you mean.  The machine is a tilting table by design.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or an old tilt table?

Tilting table was the first large use of circular saws.
They come with their own specialized set of problems for safe operation.
Just be careful operating on a tilting table.

Tilting arbors came along later.

At any but the most shallow tilts keep the major weight of the stock below the blade riding on a fence.
Even if it is a temporary fence clamped on the table.

For the most part tilting tables excel at straight line ripping of rough stock at 90 degrees or just a little off.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

At any but the most shallow tilts keep the major weight of the stock below the blade riding on a fence.

For the most part tilting tables excel at straight line ripping of rough stock at 90 degrees or just a little off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or an old tilt table?

Gotcha.  That seems to be good advice.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I had an older 240 V 3-phase for years.

Those motors are real honkers.
They can kick back darn near anything you can lift and try and cut.

A bang and the part is no longer in front of you.

The tilting table adds one more thing to watch out for when cutting.
Items sliding downhill on the table.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Come on OP, updates??
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I've cut the adapter plate out but hadn't updated because I was waiting to install it.  I'll do that this weekend and should be able to video a test cut.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Gah some days just don't go how you hoped.  I wanted to fire this thing up today but that didn't happen.  First, the blade I bought last spring was for the original motor.  So it had a 1" arbor.  The new motor is 30mm, or 1.181".  So I had to modify the blade.

Next, the original motor was bolted with 5/8" bolts.  The nature of the adapter plate and the relation to the original holes is such that I need to use flat head capscrews countersunk into the adapter plate below flush in order for it to work.  The motor legs encroach on those holes.  But I only have 1/2" flat heads on hand.  So I thought, I'll just put a thread insert in, since the one brand we use goes from 1/2 to 5/8.  Yep, only one of them on hand.  No problem.  I'll make some thread inserts out of 5/8" allthread.  Well that is threaded to the absolute minimum material condition, and it came apart in the lathe chuck like a heli-coil.

Only to find out that it doesn't matter anyway, I'm going to have to drill new holes in order to get the motor where I need it to be.

So now the plan is to sink some 1/2-13 holes into the casting with respective clearance holes countersunk into the adapter plate.  At least the adapter bolted right up to the motor.  I'll also have to make a small spacer to move the arbor out on the shaft about an inch.  No big deal.

Here are some photos of it mocked up, along with the hunk of black walnut I brought in with me to buck up into knife handle slabs.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#48]
SWEET!

Man how nice it is to have all the metalworking machines and skill to make parts on the fly to get this thing up and running, and better than it ever was when new.

Can't wait to see the finished machine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll be honest that's why I took the career path I did, almost solely to learn how to make or fix anything myself.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#50]
very nice!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top