Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2016 3:40:24 AM EDT
Looking to dye leather items.

Rather small. Would be easy to soak / put them in a  tub.
Lighter shade which almost turned pink(ish) from what I assume sun damage or improper storage... etc.

Would be going to a darker color. Probably black.

Only product that I know of is rit... will it work on leather? If so any recommended techniques?
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Fiebing's would be the leader in leather dyes.

http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/dyes/

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is where you need to go for anything leather related.

Tandy Leather
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Perfect!

Thanks for the links!

It's just a very small project but I figured I might as well try and do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you check your local grocery store's shoe lace/polish section, you may find exactly what you're looking for. I know my local Kroger carries small bottles of leather dye to touch up shoes, and it works great for smaller projects. I've successfully used it to re-dye a couple holsters and mag carriers in addition to restoring the black color to a well-worn pair of duty boots prior to polishing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:00:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Used the fiebing oil dye.

Worked great.
Effortlessly application.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Dyes penetrate the leather and chemically color it.  They bond to the leather.  Good dyes are stable in sunlight (UV).

Pigments sit on the surface and will eventually come off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top