Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2015 7:29:31 PM EDT
We have to draw water from a cistern at church. They let the cistern run dry, and the pump lost its prime. I have to figure out how to prime the pump.

I let it run for awhile, but it wouldn't "catch," it wouldn't deliver pressure to the pressure tank.

I am guessing that when the water ran out, the pressure tank pressurized the system until the water level in the tank went too low. Now there isn't enough water in the tank to "back flow" to fill the primary line (the line coming from the cistern).

Any suggestions? There's a point where I can put water into the secondary part of the pump but it just fills up until I turn on the pump, then it goes into the tank.

I'm thinking of taking a 5-gallon jug of water, and siphoning water into the pump and letting it go into the pressure tank.

Any other suggestions (that don't involve separating the water pipes)?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the type of pump, it may be fried if it ran dry.  Sometimes there is a small pipe plug on the top of the pump housing.  If so, you can try filling the pump through it with a hose.

ETA: Sorry, I see that you tried that.  Try holding the hose on there while the pump runs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Geez I nope not.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
should be a plug somewhere higher than the pump. that you can pour water into.

i use a gallon jug for my pumps.

a funnel might be helpful, but not necessary.

a picture or two of the pump and attached plumbing.

and someone here will be able to point out where it will need to be filled from.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I got it running.Finally.

There was a screw-plug,about 1/2 inch diameter, that I took out; it displayed a small vacuum when the pump was running, so I determined that it was indeed trying to prime itself. Finally it caught and we now have pressure!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Aww c'mon... 2 days and no one said an "It sucked" joke?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aww c'mon... 2 days and no one said an "It sucked" joke?
View Quote

Repost in GD, give it 2 minutes.  Careful what you wish for
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top