Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2015 10:29:37 PM EDT
I recently noticed all the lights on one circuit of my house dimming and flickering in unison.
I figured it was a bad breaker so I picked one up on my way home tonight and planned on changing it to fix the issue.
When i went to open the panel I noticed a sizzling sound coming from the effected breaker.
Turned that breaker off as well as the main and pulled the breaker. Please excuse me if my terminology is off as I am not an electrician, but it appears that the Bus (? Metal nipple thing that the breaker pops into on one side) Is very corroded with pitting of the metal. Attempted to clean it off a bit but it's simply too corroded.
My question is, I have a free breaker slot (or whatever it's called) on the other side of the bus bar from the effected breaker.
Can I switch to the unused breaker port on the other side of the bus bar/breaker system or will changing the side the breaker is on effect something ?

This would just be a temporary fix until I can get someone out to change the bus bar. Changing out breakers and outlets is about the extent of my electrical handiness and knowledge. I'm starting to get into uncomfortable territory

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an electrician, but typically they try to balance the loads between one side of the breaker box and the other.

Not necessarily exactly, though. After all, sometimes some appliances, lights, or outlets are in use and at other times, others may be in use.

So I wouldn't typically be concerned about moving one breaker (and its associated circuit) from one side to the other.

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently noticed all the lights on one circuit of my house dimming and flickering in unison.
I figured it was a bad breaker so I picked one up on my way home tonight and planned on changing it to fix the issue.
When i went to open the panel I noticed a sizzling sound coming from the effected breaker.
Turned that breaker off as well as the main and pulled the breaker. Please excuse me if my terminology is off as I am not an electrician, but it appears that the Bus (? Metal nipple thing that the breaker pops into on one side) Is very corroded with pitting of the metal. Attempted to clean it off a bit but it's simply too corroded.
My question is, I have a free breaker slot (or whatever it's called) on the other side of the bus bar from the effected breaker.
Can I switch to the unused breaker port on the other side of the bus bar/breaker system or will changing the side the breaker is on effect something ?

This would just be a temporary fix until I can get someone out to change the bus bar. Changing out breakers and outlets is about the extent of my electrical handiness and knowledge. I'm starting to get into uncomfortable territory

View Quote

It should be ok.  Turn on everything as you normally would and touch the face of the new breaker in the new location to make sure it's not heating up.  Disregard, bad answer.

It could have been a weak clip on the old breaker causing the problem but it's worthwhile to call a good electrician as soon as you can to check the entire panel.  Someone on site with experience  is what you need.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

Pics?

I'd have to see what you are talking about to give a good answer. Moving breakers/circuits around in a panel is all good and well but it depends on the following:

1) Is the home run cable a 3-wire cable (14/3 or 12/3)? The two ungrounded conductors (black & red) must not be on the same phase if they share a common neutral.

Is your panel a Zinsco panel? I hate Zinsco panels...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pics?

I'd have to see what you are talking about to give a good answer. Moving breakers/circuits around in a panel is all good and well but it depends on the following:

1) Is the home run cable a 3-wire cable (14/3 or 12/3)? The two ungrounded conductors (black & red) must not be on the same phase if they share a common neutral.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?

Shit.  Very good point!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
As said above loose contact points on breaker jaw. Trace the wire to where it enters the panel. If it is a romex with just a black and white wire, relocating to different slot will not hurt. Turn of main breaker and pop out all the other breakers and check the bus.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
A damaged bus lug is not usually a repairable item in a residential panel.

The lugs are often riveted in place.
In many panels the attachment point is the rivet itself.

Commercial panels are usually better built.
It is not uncommon for every breaker to have a screw fastener to the power rail.
They also cost a lot more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A damaged bus lug is not usually a repairable item in a residential panel.

The lugs are often riveted in place.
In many panels the attachment point is the rivet itself.

Commercial panels are usually better built.
It is not uncommon for every breaker to have a screw fastener to the power rail.
They also cost a lot more.
View Quote

I will try to post photo's when I get home tonight to give a better idea of the wiring.
Any rough guesses on what an electrician may charge to replace the panel ? or does it very greatly depending on what type of breaker box it is ?
I was hoping that I could just swap to the unused bus as long as it was the only one effected and get a new panel in a few months when I have a little more cash (holidays and such)
Stand by for photo's..

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

As said above loose contact points on breaker jaw. Trace the wire to where it enters the panel. If it is a romex with just a black and white wire, relocating to different slot will not hurt. Turn of main breaker and pop out all the other breakers and check the bus.
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes you can

You should also plan on a service upgrade very soon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top