Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2015 5:24:35 PM EDT
Purchased a foreclosure home. Windows in living room are basically floor to ceiling and are in poor shape. Every pane needs to be reglazed. Looking for ideas to replace these with something smaller, possibly just near the top of the wall to let in some light.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt you can go higher with windows because of the header above each.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Either resize the height of new double-hungs to match the windows on the gable end as seen in the picture, or go with a shorter 3-lite slider and keep the top at the current header location.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hate to sound dumb but what is a  3-lite slider ? Would that be a wide but not very tall window? My father in law owns a cabinet shop and will "help" with the work. Thanks for all the ideas !
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#5]
3-lite slider:

both end sashes slide left-to-right; center sash is fixed in place.

Double-hung windows will be more weather tight, but your location and the fact this is under roof will negate that advantage.

generally for a given space, a 3-lite slider should be more economical than a twin double-hung unit of the same size.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
My suggestion is to DIY, and get nicer windows that you think.  They aren't much more.

For example, the price difference from a basic window to a triple pane, ultra low-e, argon filled window was about $75/ea.  Very much worth it when you consider the benefit in heating / cooling costs, and room temperature / feel.  

Difference between sliding doors for triple pane and low-e glass was $100/ea.  

I'm halfway through replacing the windows in my house from "decent but old" double pane windows to Pella 250 triple pane glass - and the room to room temperature difference is amazing with the new windows vs. old ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top