Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2015 12:42:49 AM EDT
Tomorrow I'm closing on an older home with a detached garage, the door has extension springs which are attached to the door and pulleys by chains instead of the cables used today. Would it be best to replace the chains with cables or are the older style chains the better system? The extension springs are toast so I will definitely replace them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Chain is fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have worked for two different door company's and have never seen a door with chains instead of cables. Would you mind posting a picture of your door?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you considered simply replacing the whole door? My parents had their replaced last year with an insulated door for $1,800 installed with a new opener. An uninsulated one was like $1,200 - $1,400 installed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I've considered it but it's not in the budget right now, I just bought the house and moved in last week so I have other expenses that come first.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
There is nothing wrong with correctly sized chains.
New springs and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The springs were rusted so bad I couldn't tell what color they were marked with, I thought I could make out a touch of blue so I replaced them with 140lb springs and the garage is still pretty hard to open.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've considered it but it's not in the budget right now, I just bought the house and moved in last week so I have other expenses that come first.
View Quote

Why did you move in before you closed on the home?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't. Last Mon. he started the thread saying he was closing that week. This week, he said he bought (closed) and moved in last week.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Not that it matters, and has nothing to do with my questions...but I closed on the 10th and started moving in that day hence the original post from the 9th stating I close tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
chains are alright
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The springs were rusted so bad I couldn't tell what color they were marked with, I thought I could make out a touch of blue so I replaced them with 140lb springs and the garage is still pretty hard to open.
View Quote

The only way to match springs, new to old,  measure inner diameter of spring coil, measure length of collapsed coil, measure coils per inch, and maybe diameter of wire the coil is made.  If the old ones are the wrong size then you have to weigh the door.

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/springs/sectional-garage-door-extension-springs.php

I dont know if ive purchased springs from this company but I like their calculator. The layout looks different from when I had to replace torsion springs recently that where broke and mismatched sized.

If the door is still hard to open, check the cable pulleys and track wheels.  A few bad bearings really add resistance when opening.  Also might check the track.  When my torsion spring blew apart, it twisted the track out of alignment.

If possible run a cable through the spring as a saftey.  I see what looks like one in the top pic but it doesn't appear to attach to the wall on the door end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top