Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2015 9:59:55 PM EDT
I want to secure my shed as best as possible. I am thinking about insulating and dry walling in there too. Make it a little man cave. Ill post some pictures up of it and lets discuss what my options are.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan on putting the following:

Motion detected flood lights
Door and window magnetic alarms
Tamper proof hinges
reflective film on windows
bars on windows
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Will also go with these.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Home-Security-Door-or-Window-Wireless-Alarm-Kit-THD-WK/205595506
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]

OP, I wonder if bars on the windows doesn't say to a thief "Something valuable in here".  Maybe put them inside and make it to where they can be unlocked?

I have seen sheds before like yours where someone just took a big pocket knife and cut through the Masonite pressboard and made their own door.  Usually in the side or back not visible to the house.  If they did that, and saw insulation all they have to do is pull the insulation out and a few minutes with the same knife to cut through the sheetrock.  Instead of sheetrock inside maybe use plywood?  That would slow them down.

Also, here is my experience with motion detectors.  They last for a couple of years and then the sun ruins the plastic over the sensing eye and they start getting wonky.  If possible put them under an overhang that will protect them from direct sunlight.  Or even better, do what I did and replace all the motion detectors with 365 day timers that compensate for daylight savings time and adjust the on and off times for the time of the year too.  About $20 and they replace a wall light switch easily.  If you use LED bulbs with them you save a lot of money in electricity too.  I have a fixture with two LED flood lights that each put out the light that 120 watt incandescent bulbs would that costs me about $20 a year to run all night every night.  The other fixtures around my place have smaller watt bulbs because I don't need that much light everywhere.  Oh, and in over 5 years I have not replaced one bulb...

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or even better, do what I did and replace all the motion detectors with 365 day timers that compensate for daylight savings time and adjust the on and off times for the time of the year too.  About $20 and they replace a wall light switch easily.
View Quote

Sorry to temporarily hijack, but could you provide a link or more details about these timers? I'm interested.

OP, I would skip the bars on the windows. That's like a red button the wall that says "Don't touch!".
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sorry to temporarily hijack, but could you provide a link or more details about these timers? I'm interested.
OP, I would skip the bars on the windows. That's like a red button the wall that says "Don't touch!".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or even better, do what I did and replace all the motion detectors with 365 day timers that compensate for daylight savings time and adjust the on and off times for the time of the year too.  About $20 and they replace a wall light switch easily.

Well, Hell, the cost has gone up closer to $30 now.

Intermatic ST01

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-ST01-Adjusting-Switch-Timer/dp/B005H3AXKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443623140&sr=8-1&keywords=Intermatic+ST01+Self+Adjusting+Wall+Switch+Timer

I have 4 of them here on our property controlling 7 lights.  They also have a random feature that I didn't mention that varies the on/off time by a few minutes if you want it to.  I have mine set to come on before dusk and off after dawn, they adjust automatically depending on what day of the year it is.  They take a rechargeable battery to keep the settings when the power goes off.  In 5 years I have had to replace one battery and it was cheap.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Try some straps from the top plate down each stud and tapcon them into the slab.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want to secure my shed as best as possible. I am thinking about insulating and dry walling in there too. Make it a little man cave. Ill post some pictures up of it and lets discuss what my options are.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j327/JrcEngineering1/IMG_1122_zpssalksmzq.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j327/JrcEngineering1/IMG_1125_zpsstnhiig7.jpg
View Quote

Secure against break ins? I bet I could pull those doors off with my hands if I was motivated enough...
Beef up your doors first.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

do not drywall an unconditioned structure unless you want a lot of mold.
maybe OSB (although you get a lot of outgassing for a while) or similar.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Beef up your doors first.
View Quote

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Beautiful doors.  I love the look of real wood.  

One of these days you will sell the place and the new owners will paint them...

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Beautiful doors.  I love the look of real wood.  
One of these days you will sell the place and the new owners will paint them...
View Quote

if that happens i will return and shove one of those stainless cane bolts up the ass of whoever used the paint brush...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#12]
At minimum I would replace the doors. I have a single 36" steel entry door on my shed. Steel roof/siding... it won't stop a determined thief but they will make a LOT of noise getting in...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe one of these or these?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats hardcore !
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

so, what's your plan?  

ar-jedi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top