Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 4:03:52 PM EDT
Was planing down some Aspen today and found a bullet It's just shy of 5/16 diameter. I don't have any calipers to get an exact measurement. Sure glad it was lead and not steel. I've found barbed wire and rusted nails and screws before but this is a first for me.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like .30 carbine to me. What does it weigh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have anything to weigh it with
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I came across a bunch of shot in some ash 8/4 boards when I was building my workbench top.  I didn't see them before I jointed and planed the boards (rough cut kiln dried), but I did see some unusual grain and coloring in the area before it showed up.  I would guess it was no6 shot - hit several pellets.  The face of the board where the pellets are, got glued up and is somewhere in my bench top.  The spot is closer to the underside of the bench, so they wouldn't show when I planed the top flat.
I don't think I have even found n a bullet in any of the trees I have cut down or sawed up for firewood or lumber.  A few nails and even a couple rocks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I planed up some local oak for a bed I was building a few years back that had 3 lead rounds in it.  I left them in place and finished over them just because it was cool.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a digital caliper and it measures .385.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I planed up some local oak for a bed I was building a few years back that had 3 lead rounds in it.  I left them in place and finished over them just because it was cool.
View Quote

Nice idea.

I've found a few bullets over the years, not many as intact as the OP's though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Google says it's a post-1890 .41 Long Colt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I picked up a digital caliper and it measures .385.
View Quote
Oddball.  Jacketed?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Lead core and jacketed
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Google says it's a post-1890 .41 Long Colt.
View Quote
None were jacketed.  Most likely it is a deformed .38 special bullet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top