Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 11:36:46 AM EDT
I just bought a new drill and decided to test it right out of the box. I noticed on speed setting 2 when I release the trigger there is a not so normal sound of grinding (accompanied by vibration).

I've never had a Dewalt and am not sure if this is just the brake or a more serious problem. See the video below.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact a local Dewalt service center and have it looked at.  Dewalt has a great warranty.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact a local Dewalt service center and have it looked at.  Dewalt has a great warranty.
View Quote

So are you saying that isn't normal?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If I recall correctly, when I let off the trigger of my Dewalt drill it stops quickly... like it has a braking mechanism.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, when I let off the trigger of my Dewalt drill it stops quickly... like it has a braking mechanism.
View Quote

Does it make a grinding noise and have a lot of vibration when it stops?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have the reduction setting on top, black lever that you can set to 1,2 or three? If so, that is your problem. These settings are  changed while the drill is running! If you don't the gears will not fully engage and you will get the grinding sound....

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you have the reduction setting on top, black lever that you can set to 1,2 or three? If so, that is your problem. These settings are  changed while the drill is running! If you don't the gears will not fully engage and you will get the grinding sound....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I have tried to ensure it is fully in "1" or "2." The first time I ran it I got the grinding and no amount of fiddling since has stopped it. And now that you mention is it does sound like the gears are bouncing off of each other. That would explain the vibration.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds normal to me. We had a few of these at work and they all sounded like that. I believe it is the backlash in the gears as the chuck tries to spin the motor as it stops.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I own the same drill and get the same behavior.   I believe it is due to the release of power and gearing stopping.  If I remember correctly it does not happen when you are drilling something as the natural resistance causes it to halt motion.  

Think of dry firing a bow.  Rather than finishing by transferring energy to an arrow, it is getting absorbed into the bow
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds just like mine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
That's normal on the Dewalt
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm done panicking now.

Used it a lot this weekend installing and repairing rain gutters and was well satisfied with the performance.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm done panicking now.

Used it a lot this weekend installing and repairing rain gutters and was well satisfied with the performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm done panicking now.

I suspect you will continue to be pleased. I've been beating on the same 18v set for about five years and just bought new batteries about three months ago. The drill will run a 4" hole saw and the impact driver has been a godsend on a staggering number of little projects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top